Coventry station to uni of Warwick suggestions

johngti
johngti Posts: 2,508
edited December 2018 in Road general
I’m doing a course at Warwick that’s going to involve me travelling up there regularly at weekends. I’m thinking of getting myself a folding bike and riding to and from the station. Anyone familiar with the route? Any ideas on how to make it almost pleasurable?

Comments

• herb71
    herb71 Posts: 253
    Warwick Uni is just a couple of miles from the station. (Approximately nowhere near Warwick). No way to make it particularly pleasant, though there are nice routes not too far away if you have time to explore.
  • johngti
    Yeah, been up there a couple of times already but by car both times. Probably going to be using the train more in future but I wasn’t impressed by the road system in Coventry. Just wondering if there’s a “back way “ from the station. I don’t think there’s any hills to worry about
  • Out of the station, up the hill, past the Memorial Park (all the Kenilworth Road) turn right at Gibbet Hill. 10-15 mins tops.
    Summer - Giant Defy Composite 2 (Force 22) (retd)
    Cannondale Synapse Sram Red ETap
    Winter - Boardman CX Team (Rival X1 Hyd)
  • johngti
    Decent roads or scary traffic?
  • The A 429 has a side path shared with walkers, which is very handy.

There is also a jungle of paths which I have never explored. Either way, coming from Coventry is relatively straightforward and a folding is the best option. Not flat though, so get one with gears

Obviously if the train was to continue to Canley and Tile Hill, that would be an even easier commute
    left the forum March 2023
  • johngti
    I’ll be on the main line train from London so Coventry itself is the best I can do. Thanks for the info re the A429 - I generally have no problem mixing with traffic around here but knowing the roads helps! Shame it’s so difficult taking a full sized bike on public transport
  • This should be reasonably quiet... only hassle is the crossing of the A 45, you have to wait for pedestrians green lights

https://www.strava.com/routes/16570521
  • johngti
    That’s brilliant. Thanks Ugo!
  • Drop me a line if you are free with time to kill in campus, we can meet for coffee. They make good coffee at the Library cafe, the guy who runs the show is from Naples :-)

On the other hand, food is crap and grossly overpriced everywhere in campus, so best if you bring your own sandwiches :?
  • johngti
    Are you around on Saturdays? Basically going to be there every two weeks from the 12th January doing the advanced research methods course for an EdD. Usually a decent lunchtime available
  • johngti wrote:
    Are you around on Saturdays? Basically going to be there every two weeks from the 12th January doing the advanced research methods course for an EdD. Usually a decent lunchtime available

No, strictly monday to friday...

If you are at Coventry station before 10 AM on a Saturday, you can just plow on the A 429 and turn right at Gibbet hill
  • BTW: I find train tickets cheaper from Marylebone to Leamington Spa or Warwick Parkway... cycle is longer (about 10 miles) but more rural and they should let you carry a normal bike on a Saturday
  • johngti
    Fair enough! :)

It’s a shame rail travel with a bike isn’t straightforward. Straight down the A429 in the morning is probably very doable as I’ll be in Coventry by around 8. Thanks for the tips