Replacing Shimano Freehub on Campag Wheel

OnTheRopes
OnTheRopes Posts: 460
edited December 2018 in Workshop
I need to replace the Shimano freehub on my Zonda wheel, will any Shimano freehub fit?

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The part number you need is campagnolo FH- BUU015.

Nothing else fits. Buy from a seller that lists the part number. That's a seller that knows there part numbers and cares.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • The part number you need is campagnolo FH- BUU015.

Nothing else fits. Buy from a seller that lists the part number. That's a seller that knows there part numbers and cares.
    Thanks, I take it from your site its the HG version I need?
  • mrdsgs
    mrdsgs Posts: 337
    yes, from memory and should last ages but is very heavy. There is also a lighter alloy version, I think I have a spare steel one for my Fulcrum Racing Zero. Neither of these are 11 speed compatible. The newest version is 11 speed ( and backward compatible) and has a white coating, costs about £80 retail, the 10 see steel one is significantly cheaper. Make sure you get 17mm axle version. Happy to rummage through my spares for the steel one, £45 ? including postage (new and boxed, original campagnolo packaging) if you don't need 11 speed.
    Colnago Addict!
  • mrdsgs wrote:
    yes, from memory and should last ages but is very heavy. There is also a lighter alloy version, I think I have a spare steel one for my Fulcrum Racing Zero. Neither of these are 11 speed compatible. The newest version is 11 speed ( and backward compatible) and has a white coating, costs about £80 retail, the 10 see steel one is significantly cheaper. Make sure you get 17mm axle version. Happy to rummage through my spares for the steel one, £45 ? including postage (new and boxed, original campagnolo packaging) if you don't need 11 speed.
    Thanks, the weight, whilst not desirable at any time is not a big issue as its only for winter training wheels, I just need them to work. It does need to be 11 speed though.

Another question if I may, I have a 10 speed Fulcrum wheel, is it possible to convert to 11 speed by changing the freehub?
  • You could put a campag freehub on and used Campag cassettes as campag 11sp = Shimano 11sp. Appreciate campag cassettes are more £££.

There are also people out there who will machine a regular 10 speed Shimano cassette to fit on a 11sp freehub.
  • You could put a campag freehub on and used Campag cassettes as campag 11sp = Shimano 11sp. Appreciate campag cassettes are more £££.

There are also people out there who will machine a regular 10 speed Shimano cassette to fit on a 11sp freehub.
    That's a good point and I already use a Eurus wheel with a Campag cassette for Shimano gears on occasion so know it works okay.
  • cycleclinic
    Yes the 11 speed fits on the 10 speed hubs.

Fh-buo15 fits on steel axles hubs and fh-buu015 fits on alloy axled hubs.

The alloy body is Fh-BO015.

The Shimano version should have X1 as suffix but it is simpler to list the way I do as you have to explain what the X1 is.
  • Thanks, hopefully I ordered the right one from you then. I may have to order one for my fulcrum 10 speed rear wheel then.
  • cycleclinic
    campagnolo 11 speed and shimano 11 speed spacing is close but not the same. The shift will not be as clean with a mix and match approach. Its acceptable to many but not perfect.