Torque wrench

pikeman65
pikeman65 Posts: 56
edited January 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
Can someone please correct me if I'm wrong but would I be right in saying the maximum torque wrench setting is 50Nm on most MTB's, I've done some research but can't find seem anything else that goes higher, I just need to buy myself a torque wrench and everyone I've found in the 3/8 inch range is between 5Nm-50Nm, any help would be great please, oh just one brief, I don't want a Park Tool wrench as they're over priced and no different to any other quality make aside from price, thanks guys.

Sean.

Comments

• FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Yes and the max torque I encountered was on a Sram PF30 BB bolt which was factory fixed at a far higher torque than the 50 Nm specified. I prefer just to guess using the model that a kg at 1m = about 10Nm - 3 Nm at about a foot. Seems to work.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • FishFish wrote:
    I prefer just to guess using the model that a kg at 1m = about 10Nm - 3 Nm at about a foot. Seems to work.

Sorry but I’m failing to understand your advice here?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Because he's an idiot.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Convert mass to force - mult by 9.81. 1 kg = 9.81N. Call it 10. At the end of a 1m by torque is force * length = 10 Nm.

1/3 length - roughly a ruler, roughly 3Nm. So just get a feel for the effort needed to lift 1 kg and apply that to a spanner - good enough as an estimate.

Simple. Not idiotic. :D
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    What do you need to tighten on a bike that tight?

Only use a torque wrench on my crank arm bolts and that’s 14nm max.
  • FishFish wrote:
    Convert mass to force - mult by 9.81. 1 kg = 9.81N. Call it 10. At the end of a 1m by torque is force * length = 10 Nm.

1/3 length - roughly a ruler, roughly 3Nm. So just get a feel for the effort needed to lift 1 kg and apply that to a spanner - good enough as an estimate.

Simple. Not idiotic. :D

Ah, now I get it, using maths to justify guessing. Now I know.

If the OP wanted to guess he wouldn’t be looking for a torque wrench.

OP, I prefer not to use a wrench that does quite large extremes, whilst they are calibrated my experience is they go out of calibration more often. Just my 2 pence.
  • cooldad
    I agree with this ^^^^^

And fishbot is still an idiot.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,449
    Normally hand tools like spanners and Allen keys etc are sized so that you can't apply too much torque unless you lengthen them by sliding a pipe over the tool. Or increase the force beyond that envisaged by using a lump hammer. I never used a torque wrench as long as I had an ally framed bike and no carbon fibre components. But once carbon fibre is on your bike (or is your bike!), the torque settings are so important to get right. The ones I worry about are the small torques 5Nm and below. So I bought a torque wrench, but only a small one.

I have never felt the need for a torque wrench for fitting a bottom bracket. Never had a problem either.

PS: I don't have a problem with the Fish Fish way of estimating the torque. After all, who knows what a Nm feels like? His rule of thumb is close enough. I do it slightly differently but the result is the same. I use the fact that a Newton is about 4 ounces and work from there. I can use Systeme International, Metric, or Imperial. I used SI at work, but I prefer Imperial at home. The Imperial foot-pound has more meaning to me than the SI Newton-Metre. :)
  • I wanted a torque wrench because I'm heavy handed and I know I will inevitably snap off something that's going to cost me a lot of money in the long run so to safe guard my bike I just thought a torque wrench would be a wise buy, it's the stuff like brake bleeding nipples etc I'm scared of snapping off, it's been a long time since I owned a bike and I suppose I've forgotten a lot of stuff.

Sean.
  • steve_sordy
    Pikeman65 wrote:
    I wanted a torque wrench because I'm heavy handed and I know I will inevitably snap off something that's going to cost me a lot of money in the long run so to safe guard my bike I just thought a torque wrench would be a wise buy, it's the stuff like brake bleeding nipples etc I'm scared of snapping off, it's been a long time since I owned a bike and I suppose I've forgotten a lot of stuff.

Sean.

The torque wrenches that go up to 50Nm or above tend not to be too accurate at the low torques. Some don't even claim to be able to do low torques at all. I haven't checked on Google, but I'm guessing that typical ranges will be 0-6, 5-25 and 20-60 Nm or something like that or near enough.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Something like THIS will cover 97.543785%* the bolts on a bike.
    For the bottom bracket just do it up tight with the correct tool.

*Number made up using the FishFish just guess method.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • JBA wrote:

I have something very similar to this ^^^^ and it works prefectly well.

I'm also a bit ham-fisted and need all the help I can get.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • steve_sordy
    That is a better range than the 5-25 Nm one that I got.
  • JBA wrote:

*Number made up using the FishFish just guess method.

Thanks for the link mate, I'll try to order one of those tomorrow, for some strange reason I'm having trouble ordering one on the Tredz website, keeps on freezing on me.

Sean.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,086
    Failing that ^:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Teng-3892AG- ... 2749.l2649

I have that one but I never use a torque wrench on a bike (bar a Campag UT chainset centre bolt but that's 46 - 52nm) - never broken anything either,

https://www.unitconverters.net/energy/nm-to-ft-lb.htm

...and Fishbot is an idiot.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • cooldad
    Has anyone mentioned that Fishbot is an idiot?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • steve_sordy
    What has led to these anti FishFish comments?

If you dislike his posts so much, don't read them.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    You're quite new on here Steve,you'll get to know why certain members take Flak as time goes on :wink:

I got one of these with my Canyon:-
    th?id=OIP.mjK-Fa7f7_yVaL6EzcBaOgHaEb&pid=15.1&P=0&w=309&h=186

Crude but seems to work!
  • steve_sordy
    Sniper68 wrote:

You're quite new on here Steve,you'll get to know why certain members take Flak as time goes on :wink:

Yes, I am new here, but I'm not new to a biking forum. I was on a previous mtb forum for many years and it had its share of posters that I thought could be irritating. But the worst I ever did in response was to block them. I had a few heated exchanges, but from my side I was never other than polite. It may be my selective memory working here, but I'm pretty sure that I was never rude to anyone.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    All this torque is making me thirsty, must be beer 'o' clock.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Sniper68 wrote:

Yes, I am new here, but I'm not new to a biking forum. I was on a previous mtb forum for many years and it had its share of posters that I thought could be irritating. But the worst I ever did in response was to block them. I had a few heated exchanges, but from my side I was never other than polite. It may be my selective memory working here, but I'm pretty sure that I was never rude to anyone.
    I know Steve but as I said when the old Forum announced it's closure and BR was suggested to those who don't use FB BR is a much bigger Forum(300,000 members) with bigger issues.I've been a member of both for 10+ years and certain members on here are only here to Troll/annoy and generally pi$$ people off.Hence there being quite a few deleted long standing threads on both road and MTB Forums recently :| The old MBR Forum only had about 20 of us regularly posting and many of us had ridden together at some point.BR and other large Forums are a different kettle of fish(no pun intended) :wink:
    You'll find the same names cropping up time after time.....except the one who's been banned about 7 times but still seems to be able to re-register :roll:
  • pinno
    It may be my selective memory working here, but I'm pretty sure that I was never rude to anyone.

I wouldn't worry. You are in the right part of the forum. The Crudder boys are thick skinned.

However, Fishfish is unashamedly rude, whereas I'm just a cheeky basket.
    I don't think Fishfish understands banter or just trying simply to get on with people.
    He is probably on the Autistic spectrum, so we should give him a bit of leeway but even the autistic people I know learn - even if it isn't intuitive.
  • steve_sordy
    Pinno wrote:

I don't think Fishfish understands banter or just trying simply to get on with people.
    He is probably on the Autistic spectrum, so we should give him a bit of leeway but even the autistic people I know learn - even if it isn't intuitive.

If he is on the Autistic spectrum, then I can understand why his posts may lack tact or come across too bluntly for some. But if the above is true then as Pinno said, we should give him a bit of leeway. If his post completely gets your goat then just ignore it. I don't know FishFish, and I've never been on the receiving end of any of his posts that some find upsetting, but people on the Autistic spectrum struggle to make sense of the world because it doesn't work the way they expect. He may be trying to be nice and just doesn't know how. This is all built on Pinno's speculation that FishFish may be on the Autistic spectrum, when in fact he may just be an 4rse. But I still would not be rude to him.
  • pinno
    But I still would not be rude to him.

Fair play to you.
  • Thanks for the link Pinno, looks like a nice wrench, if I don’t have any joy on the Tredz site I’ll look at buying one of those, thanks for the other info from other forum members too.

Sean
  • Sorry for the late reply guys, and just a little heads up, just before I bought the torque wrench from Tredz, I did a Google search and found one exactly the same on eBay £8+ cheaper, thought I’d mention it just in case someone else is looking for one too.

Sean
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Pinno wrote:
    But I still would not be rude to him.

Fair play to you.

Give him Time lolol
  • I can't open that link, thanks anyway bud.

Sean.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    its products.wera.de