Wider tyre vs mudguards

johngti
johngti Posts: 2,508
edited December 2018 in Road general
Given the choice, would you (ie the hive mind) go for 28mm tyres or mudguards? Assume that full length guards won’t fit, clip on half-length are obviously doable

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Mudguards will stop your ar5e getting wet - wider tyres won't. It's not really an 'either/or' choice...
  • johngti
    Kind of is. 28mm tyres for extra comfort and more confidence/better road holding in rubbish conditions but danger of a wet rear end vs mudguards with narrower tyres and a no wet bum.

Purely hypothetical at present
  • I've had the same dilemma as you, I decided to go for 28mm tyres and clip on mudguards, in my case SKS Raceblade Pro's.
    They definitely don't provide as much protection as full mudguards but they're a piece of cake to fit in comparison and they can be removed in seconds for the dry days.
  • big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    T'is the season for BR forum mudguard threads apparently. You might want to search a bit on here before you part with any cash. Merry Christmas!
  • johngti
    No plans to splash the cash at the moment. Just after an idea of what the forum wisdom would be.
  • 28 front 25 rear with guards

HTH
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,419
    Wider tyres AND mudguards. You need a new bike. N+1.

Sales start tomorrow..... :D

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• johngti
    PhotoNic69 wrote:
    Wider tyres AND mudguards. You need a new bike. N+1.

Sales start tomorrow..... :D

Best answer yet!
  • big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    IF you can full guards to fit your frame/tyre combo then most people would agree that's the way to go. You'll need to consider your frame and manufacturers recommendations. Personally I also use clip on Raceblades, accepting of the fact that they are not perfect.