Forum home Road cycling forum The bottom bracket

sunday i remember doing the time-warp

sungodsungod Posts: 13,786
edited December 2018 in The bottom bracket
'ning

appears to be soggy, again

ride, much coffee and snacking, perhaps further mince pies
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
«1

Posts

  • thistle_thistle_ Posts: 5,605
    Not sure where you get the motivation from to go out riding in this weather sungod .
    Going to give this morning's Christmas time trial a miss, unless the weather drastically improves, might have a go on the rollers instead.
  • MatthewfalleMatthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    ciao

    utterly horrible out there: rain, fog, wind.

    currently curled up on the couch with The Hound, just about to get some coffee on. weights sesh then onwards!
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

    De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

    Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

    He's right you know.
  • ballysmateballysmate Posts: 15,628
    ciao

    utterly horrible out there: rain, fog, wind.

    currently curled up on the couch with The Hound, just about to get some coffee on. weights sesh then onwards!

    Exactly the same here. Minus the fog, hound weights and coffee. Apart from that, exactly the same.
  • tlw1tlw1 Posts: 20,082
    Horrid out there, cycled into town to collect car from yesterday’s fun, then a decent but muddy trail run and now bored shitless whilst eldest has a snowboarding lesson.

    Stevo - might want to buy some downhill kit off you as I’m thinking about going down a big mountain in Africa
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 9,731
    Morning All. Survived last night's over indulgance after suffering during the day due to night shift spankers ineptitude. Very moist outdoors so contemplating rollers. Currently being subjected to continuous Christmas music, Bah Humbug.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 46,831
    TLW1 wrote:
    Stevo - might want to buy some downhill kit off you as I’m thinking about going down a big mountain in Africa
    I've got two lots of most things and am needing to have a bit of a clear out soon, although apparently Veronese junior is also on the hunt for DH gear. Drop me a line and let me know what bits you're after.

    Onwards to more jobs and a spot of last minute shopping...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • thistle_thistle_ Posts: 5,605
    oxoman wrote:
    Morning All. Survived last night's over indulgance after suffering during the day due to night shift spankers ineptitude. Very moist outdoors so contemplating rollers. Currently being subjected to continuous Christmas music, Bah Humbug.
    Hmm a roller workout to Christmas tunes.
    Can't find anything on Youtube, maybe it was banned.
  • Morning everyone.
    Washing up, eating Bombay mix and having some cider. Silly cartoons on the telly. Having lots of problems logging in here, anyone else having this?
    Much more of this and I shall FLOUNCE. :D
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • hopkinbhopkinb Posts: 7,074
    Picked up the Christmas beef. Rib roast weighing close to 4kg. Now cleaning the fridge because it's fcken disgusting.

    Can't see me doing much else today other than going to buy cheese from posh deli in Wimbledon Village.

    Still sound like a consumptive on his last few breaths, but I feel a bit better today.
  • veronese68veronese68 Posts: 24,680 Lives Here
    Morning folks,
    Traditional slow start has been enjoyed. Got to do a few bits and bobs today.
    The solution to sounding consumptive is to consume more I reckon Hopper. TLW we don’t want to get into a bidding war with Stevo as the vendor. Unless of course we pay him in a pub and then stitch him up by making him pick up the tab. I told the lad I’d buy him body armour, he reckons he’s going to stick with his bike and replace bits as they break. I reckon wheels first then forks or frame.
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 46,831
    Veronese68 wrote:
    TLW we don’t want to get into a bidding war with Stevo as the vendor. Unless of course we pay him in a pub and then stitch him up by making him pick up the tab. I told the lad I’d buy him body armour, he reckons he’s going to stick with his bike and replace bits as they break. I reckon wheels first then forks or frame.
    Why ever not :P

    People who came downhilling on 'normal' MTBs usually ended up retiring early on account of knackered bikes. So he might be doing a fair bit of replacing.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • MatthewfalleMatthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    hopkinb wrote:
    Picked up the Christmas beef. Rib roast weighing close to 4kg. Now cleaning the fridge because it's fcken disgusting.

    Can't see me doing much else today other than going to buy cheese from posh deli in Wimbledon Village.

    Still sound like a consumptive on his last few breaths, but I feel a bit better today.

    see - if you would have taken my advice last night you'd be fine now.

    you could always get the trilogy off Prime tonight and sort yourself out properly in time for Chrimbles.

    #accatastic
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

    De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

    Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

    He's right you know.
  • pinnopinno Posts: 42,789
    Flounce, flounce, flounce, flounce, flounce, flounce, flounce, flounce, flounce, ...

    Exactly the same here but no hound, wind or weights, just very foggy which makes it exactly the same.

    Going for a wobble after I collect the muppets from swimming.
    You're doing down hill proper anyway Stevo.

    Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • veronese68veronese68 Posts: 24,680 Lives Here
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    People who came downhilling on 'normal' MTBs usually ended up retiring early on account of knackered bikes. So he might be doing a fair bit of replacing.
    Very true but I suspect I will end up doing a lot of the replacing.
    He’s a pretty big lump and quite heavy on the bike. But I’m hoping trying to ride on a hardtail it will last long enough to teach him to pick his lines carefully. Hopefully that way he won’t trash something more expensive. Current frame is a Kinesis, but only paid £5 off the Bay for it as it looks scruffy.
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 46,831
    Pinno wrote:
    You're doing down hill proper anyway Stevo.
    True - and there's plenty of snow. Better at the two planked variety than the 2 wheeled variety.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 46,831
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    People who came downhilling on 'normal' MTBs usually ended up retiring early on account of knackered bikes. So he might be doing a fair bit of replacing.
    Very true but I suspect I will end up doing a lot of the replacing.
    He’s a pretty big lump and quite heavy on the bike. But I’m hoping trying to ride on a hardtail it will last long enough to teach him to pick his lines carefully. Hopefully that way he won’t trash something more expensive. Current frame is a Kinesis, but only paid £5 off the Bay for it as it looks scruffy.
    As I recall it was mainly spokes, tyres/inners and brakes that got mullered on normal bikes.

    Whereabouts will you go for DH'ing? Not a lot down in the SE of England.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Mmmm....beef
    Now talking garden gates with the present Mrs. Might be a project for next year, as I might be doing some metalwork.
    Cheers.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • sungodsungod Posts: 13,786
    Not sure where you get the motivation from to go out riding in this weather sungod .
    ...
    that which does not kill us makes us stranger

    about to embark on extreme ham roll
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • veronese68veronese68 Posts: 24,680 Lives Here
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    As I recall it was mainly spokes, tyres/inners and brakes that got mullered on normal bikes.

    Whereabouts will you go for DH'ing? Not a lot down in the SE of England.
    Hmm, wheels will definitely fail first. Good job I can build wheels. Shopping for strong 26” rims in the sales then.
    Think he’s going with uni mates, so a train ride from Brum initially. Not sure where.
  • tlw1tlw1 Posts: 20,082
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    People who came downhilling on 'normal' MTBs usually ended up retiring early on account of knackered bikes. So he might be doing a fair bit of replacing.
    Very true but I suspect I will end up doing a lot of the replacing.
    He’s a pretty big lump and quite heavy on the bike. But I’m hoping trying to ride on a hardtail it will last long enough to teach him to pick his lines carefully. Hopefully that way he won’t trash something more expensive. Current frame is a Kinesis, but only paid £5 off the Bay for it as it looks scruffy.
    As I recall it was mainly spokes, tyres/inners and brakes that got mullered on normal bikes.

    Whereabouts will you go for DH'ing? Not a lot down in the SE of England.
    I think I will need a new bike for Mount Kilimanjaro then!
  • thistle_thistle_ Posts: 5,605
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    As I recall it was mainly spokes, tyres/inners and brakes that got mullered on normal bikes.

    Whereabouts will you go for DH'ing? Not a lot down in the SE of England.
    Hmm, wheels will definitely fail first. Good job I can build wheels. Shopping for strong 26” rims in the sales then.
    Think he’s going with uni mates, so a train ride from Brum initially. Not sure where.
    Stile cop maybe?
  • tlw1tlw1 Posts: 20,082
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    As I recall it was mainly spokes, tyres/inners and brakes that got mullered on normal bikes.

    Whereabouts will you go for DH'ing? Not a lot down in the SE of England.
    Hmm, wheels will definitely fail first. Good job I can build wheels. Shopping for strong 26” rims in the sales then.
    Think he’s going with uni mates, so a train ride from Brum initially. Not sure where.
    Stile cop maybe?
    Haven’t been there for ages!
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 46,831
    TLW1 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    People who came downhilling on 'normal' MTBs usually ended up retiring early on account of knackered bikes. So he might be doing a fair bit of replacing.
    Very true but I suspect I will end up doing a lot of the replacing.
    He’s a pretty big lump and quite heavy on the bike. But I’m hoping trying to ride on a hardtail it will last long enough to teach him to pick his lines carefully. Hopefully that way he won’t trash something more expensive. Current frame is a Kinesis, but only paid £5 off the Bay for it as it looks scruffy.
    As I recall it was mainly spokes, tyres/inners and brakes that got mullered on normal bikes.

    Whereabouts will you go for DH'ing? Not a lot down in the SE of England.
    I think I will need a new bike for Mount Kilimanjaro then!
    If you're getting a van to the top then I have just the bike for you :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinnopinno Posts: 42,789
    TLW1 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    People who came downhilling on 'normal' MTBs usually ended up retiring early on account of knackered bikes. So he might be doing a fair bit of replacing.
    Very true but I suspect I will end up doing a lot of the replacing.
    He’s a pretty big lump and quite heavy on the bike. But I’m hoping trying to ride on a hardtail it will last long enough to teach him to pick his lines carefully. Hopefully that way he won’t trash something more expensive. Current frame is a Kinesis, but only paid £5 off the Bay for it as it looks scruffy.
    As I recall it was mainly spokes, tyres/inners and brakes that got mullered on normal bikes.

    Whereabouts will you go for DH'ing? Not a lot down in the SE of England.
    I think I will need a new bike for Mount Kilimanjaro then!

    You are doing 'Kili'?! Amazing. Amazing mountain. You can see the (dwindling) white cap from Nairobi.
    My favourite place is Tsavo West, which is at the foot of Mount Kili. My sister climbed it.

    Have a few of these whilst you are there:

    38486.jpg
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • hopkinbhopkinb Posts: 7,074
    Tried whankking out the cold. Lost interest. Must either be too old or too ill. Or not watching pitch perfect.

    Got to churn out roast rib of beef, gammon, roast potatoes, yorkshires, parsnips, carrots and sprouts tomorrow for 1.30, plus gravy.

    I've bought gravy from the butcher, as I just can't be arsed with the faff of making the stuff while trying to get everything else sorted to be on the table at the same time.

    I can't even muster up any interest in choosing wine. :roll:

    I normally enjoy this censored .
  • hopkinbhopkinb Posts: 7,074
    Fcken colds.
  • pinnopinno Posts: 42,789
    I would turn up. I could make it for 1.30 if I left soon. But I won't. The gravy will be 'orrible and the host, plain miserable. I also don't like the thought of dew drops dripping in the what's cooking.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • hopkinbhopkinb Posts: 7,074
    Pinno wrote:
    I would turn up. I could make it for 1.30 if I left soon. But I won't. The gravy will be 'orrible and the host, plain miserable. I also don't like the thought of dew drops dripping in the what's cooking.

    The host would be very cheerful if Pinno turned up!

    The gravy will be fine, it cost enough.

    Dew droppage is highly likely though...

    There's going to be a load of leftover beef. Mrs H3 is going to make a fresh loaf of bread on Christmas morning. Me, she and mini will then go to the pub while it cools. We shall come home and eat beef sandwiches and very fine cheeses, while watching Christmas telly. You'd be better turning up Christmas day tbh.
  • pinnopinno Posts: 42,789
    hopkinb wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    I would turn up. I could make it for 1.30 if I left soon. But I won't. The gravy will be 'orrible and the host, plain miserable. I also don't like the thought of dew drops dripping in the what's cooking.

    The host would be very cheerful if Pinno turned up!

    The gravy will be fine, it cost enough.

    Dew droppage is highly likely though...

    There's going to be a load of leftover beef. Mrs H3 is going to make a fresh loaf of bread on Christmas morning. Me, she and mini will then go to the pub while it cools. We shall come home and eat beef sandwiches and very fine cheeses, while watching Christmas telly. You'd be better turning up Christmas day tbh.

    Sounds good.

    All 4 of us and Jack the cat?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • hopkinbhopkinb Posts: 7,074
    Maybe you should leave Jack. The dog gets excitable around cats.
Sign In or Register to comment.