First 100!!

Wayne Plunger
Wayne Plunger Posts: 444
edited May 2019 in Road beginners
Hi all, took up cycling earlier this year and have recently completed my first 100 mile sportive.

I came into cycling knowing nothing about bikes or cycling. Luckily I latched myself into four blokes from the village who were regular cyclists. Even though we were totally different people, I am in my twenties, they are all retired, they took me under their wing coached me on cycling techniques, even helped me choose a new bike when I was ready.

At the outset they were much faster than me but would always tailor their ride to suit me.

So just want to say a big thanks to Barry, Harry, Larry and Ivor for all their help.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Perhaps Ivor could change his name to 'Gary' or something...?
  • Imposter wrote:
    Perhaps Ivor could change his name to 'Gary' or something...?
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Barry, Harry and Larry? Do you live in Camberwick Green

Congrats on the 100, always a big milestone
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Well done on the 100, I bet most of us have had some help one way or another
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,638
    Well done Wayne.
  • 100m is a great achievement, well done!
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    100m is a great achievement, well done!

Agree, so much better than the somewhat lesser 100Km :-)
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    drlodge wrote:
    100m is a great achievement, well done!

Agree, so much better than the somewhat lesser 100Km :-)

BLASPHEMER!!

;)
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Oi, I did my first 100k earlier this year and I thought I was the dogs do dahs for weeks after, don't piddle all over my parade!
  • Well done Wayne. Good to have someone taking it up at a (relatively) young age. Glad you have some old farts like us to guide you along the path of righteousness.
  • Well done Wayne. Good to have someone taking it up at a (relatively) young age. Glad you have some old farts like us to guide you along the path of righteousness.

The "old farts" were a tremendous help and source of knowledge. Have wasted my time acknowledging their help on here though as I have subsequently found out none of them come on here!!!

Apparently one of them used to be a member but wasn't "made welcome"
  • imposter2.0

Ask him what his username was and report back?
  • Imposter wrote:

And some details of what cadence he cycles at
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • skooter
    skooter Posts: 264
    Its a great milestone.. well done.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,188
    Yeah, good one. Well done. I had this on my to-do target list for 2018. Had booked up a local sportive in June. But multiple health issues in early part of year put the kybosh on that so only managed to do the 100km option in that sportive. And still haven't managed to reach that 100 mile target so far this year, says he on the 30th December... To be continued :?
  • Hi so im new ish the cycling but gone and registered for the London 100 and unsure on what bike to get i have a hybrid at the moment. Wads all set to get a road bike but someone said i should look into gravel bikes aswell any one got any advice??
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    goldynew wrote:
    Hi so im new ish the cycling but gone and registered for the London 100 and unsure on what bike to get i have a hybrid at the moment. Wads all set to get a road bike but someone said i should look into gravel bikes aswell any one got any advice??

You could do Ride London on either. A road bike will be faster, whereas a gravel bike will be more versatile if you ever fancy riding on gravel. You could probably do that on your hybrid, though. Personally I'd get a road bike, but I like to ride fast.
  • 1st 100 with great guides? Great stuff. Long may it continue.
  • Tyresome
    Tyresome Posts: 113
    goldynew wrote:
    Hi so im new ish the cycling but gone and registered for the London 100 and unsure on what bike to get i have a hybrid at the moment. Wads all set to get a road bike but someone said i should look into gravel bikes aswell any one got any advice??
    Do it with what ever you’re most comfortable on. Lots of people do it on Hybrids, some have even done it Bromptons. There’s no hard and fast rule that says you have to do it on a drop bar ‘race’ bike.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Or do it Tyresome style and just do it in your imagination.
  • imposter2.0
    Webboo wrote:
    Or do it Tyresome style and just do it in your imagination.

Agree with the above. 100 milers became a lot easier once I realised I could simply upload a 50-miler from two different devices... ;)
  • Well done Wayne on your first proper ton.

When I came back to cycling in my early forties, I started with a goal of a metric century, then built up to a proper ton. Have since completed a few 200k audaxes.

As one of my cycling buddies says, "if you can't go fast, go long".
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    Well done Wayne on your first proper ton.

When I came back to cycling in my early forties, I started with a goal of a metric century, then built up to a proper ton. Have since completed a few 200k audaxes.

As one of my cycling buddies says, "if you can't go fast, go long".

Just think how fast you could go without 45 kg on your back. Also you haven’t got any buddies
  • I did my first 100 about 15 years ago. It was supposed to be a one off (just to see if I could do it) but I got addicted and have now done getting on for 200 of them. That first one was on a cheap mountain bike with worn out cassette and chain which was slipping the whole time.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Gethinceri wrote:
    Well done Wayne.

:lol::lol::mrgreen:
  • OP, did you start off cycling with flat pedals or cleats?
  • Alejandrosdog
    Imposter wrote:

And some details of what cadence he cycles at
    and how much kit he carries with him

Also well done, 200m was my prefered distance. 20 seconds of pain
  • shiznit76
    shiznit76 Posts: 640
    Broke my ton cherry on monday, was actually not that bad, last 15 miles seems to drag in though. 5000ft worth of climbimng, most in the first half helped
  • plymouthsteve
    plymouthsteve Posts: 139
    Love the title of the post.
    'First' ..
    Can never do this without thinking about the next one can we?
    Well done, and good luck with the next one