• more of a gimmick thing for "non cyclists" who got spin classes
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    Moonbiker wrote:
    Reminded me of charlie brooker black mirror for some reason

"Better Is In Us"

"The better within you"

"Every day, you show up for yourselves"

"Your commitment ... keeps us working hard to provide you exactly what you need to propel your at home workout journey forward."

I love this stuff. So many ways for marketers to say "GIVE US YOUR FEKKIN' MONEY".
    Ludicrous stuff, but it works!
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    so how does it work? centralised training bod and everyone logs in through their spin bikes/ wattbikes?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • I suppose it would be a bit like a group ride/workout on Zwft
  • rdt
    I meant the marketing works, hence Peloton's rapid growth...
  • rdt wrote:

loads folk go to spin classes, but it'll be like the new zumba, something else will come about soon enough to take over the popularity. I don't know how popular Peloron is, I actually only saw the advert for it the other day and my wife said "is that the same as what you do" meaning zwift and have had someone at work as the same thing. I don't actually know that much about it, but just sounds like a live stream spin wok out
  • The UK advert I've seen is very different. Rather than the self-congratulatory holistic pap my take is it's more targeted at those who have or intend to have gym membership but for various justifications don't or won't make best use of it.

It's also only hints at what's on offer so as to engourage people to go and find out more rather than in the US ad where they're being spoon-fed and having their egos massaged.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    shiznit76 wrote:
    I suppose it would be a bit like a group ride/workout on Zwft

got ya. grazie!
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • shiznit76 wrote:
    I suppose it would be a bit like a group ride/workout on Zwft

got ya. grazie!

Good job plonkers, smasshedddddddddd it
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Have you seen the weather out of the window of 'John (or whatever his name is) from Edinburgh' in one of their TV adverts? Cloudless blue sky.

And he's indoors on a trainer. FFS.
  • rdt
    shiznit76 wrote:
    I don't know how popular Peloron is

Peloton's not really aimed at folks around these parts ("proper cyclists"), but at ~$700 million revenues this year, it's fair to say it's popular and on a growth tear.

Definitely a fad, but some fads evolve into persistent phenomena and Peloton might well achieve that. It's a sure bet that Zwift and others will look to emulate aspects of Peloton's business model because it's proving so damned successful, eg.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/08/vir ... -look.html
  • rdt wrote:
    shiznit76 wrote:
    I don't know how popular Peloron is

Peloton's not really aimed at folks around these parts ("proper cyclists"), but at ~$700 million revenues this year, it's fair to say it's popular and on a growth tear.

Definitely a fad, but some fads evolve into persistent phenomena and Peloton might well achieve that. It's a sure bet that Zwift and others will look to emulate aspects of Peloton's business model because it's proving so damned successful, eg.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/08/vir ... -look.html
    I'm hoping for triple digit quarterly growth; Fill the gyms with Watt-bikes, then the next fad can come along. Hopefully there will then be a flood of used watt-bikes on ebay.
  • Have you seen the weather out of the window of 'John (or whatever his name is) from Edinburgh' in one of their TV adverts? Cloudless blue sky.

And he's indoors on a trainer. FFS.

If he's in Edinburgh, it was probably snowing when he started, and will be raining and blowing a gale when he's finished.
  • I read the original American review a while ago and my understanding is that to get full functionality out of the bike you need to maintain your subscription otherwise you are left with largely a dumb trainer with a couple of manual options. I guess if you absolutely love spin classes and that live interaction it must be good but given the eye watering price, a watt bike and an iPad seem like a better value option in the longer term.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    shiznit76 wrote:
    rdt wrote:

loads folk go to spin classes, but it'll be like the new zumba, something else will come about soon enough to take over the popularity.

It looks like a half way house between spin classes in the gym and Zwift.
  • I emailed them and asked of you could use a smart trainer and your own bike rather than buying their own (crap ) exercise bike...They said YES but preferred members to use the correct equipment -- ''buy our gear '' and would come back to me with a price for the subscription if I was going to use my own equipment...Still waiting.

The ad is bloody annoying ;-

''Dave in Barnsley...loooooking good...keep pumping !!....No Dave that's not what I meant ! ''
  • Never heard of them until this thread, working from home today and already seen adverts during "the professionals" . What a load of crap.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    Peloton just sent an threatening legal letter to Shane Miller, telling him to stop using the word 'peloton' on his YouTube video titles. Shows what sort of company they are
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Not a good way to win friends in the cyclist community.
  • rdt
    Alex222 wrote:
    Peloton just sent an threatening legal letter to Shane Miller, telling him to stop using the word 'peloton' on his YouTube video titles. Shows what sort of company they are

Very fast-growing companies *almost always* turn into knuts as the $$$$$$ dazzling all involved take precedence over everything else.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Roubaix all over again. These litigious, US companies can get to f**k.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • skooter
    skooter Posts: 264
    The bit on the add that makes me laugh is at the end she say's lets climb and there cadence is faster than crash Froome's..lol
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Alex222 wrote:

https://twitter.com/gplama/status/1076244021029163008
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • I use Peloton, but not with their bike (I have a cycleops spin bike) via my ipad.

I have used it since they launched and was originally using their free beta testing app until they started charging for their app. and still pay £9.99 per month (I think it is like £20 a month or something but I always just get charged the original amount).

It’s just something to distract you when training indoors tbh.

(Btw, I am in Edinburgh, but I am not John).
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Robin Arzon :?: :roll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZqDZMIeOrk

At least 30% ratchet?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Wow. What an enormous pain in the a*se.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    redvee wrote:

I suspect that common sense had nothing to do with it. More like the backlash and damage to their brand made them back down.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Dabber wrote:
    redvee wrote:

I suspect that common sense had nothing to do with it. More like the backlash and damage to their brand made them back down.

Solicitor charged £2k an hour to advise this may infringe their IP, £8k to draft and send a cease and desist letters, then another £2k an hour to advise this is damaging their brand, then finally another £8k to send a matter closed letter.
    Only one winner.