Brexit troop mobilisation

2»

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,596
    orraloon wrote:
    What violence will Brexit unleash?
    When the benefit junkie Leave voters in Lincolnshire and other similar sh!tholes realise they will be required to go work in the vegetable fields at minimum wage instead of sitting in their local 'Spoons all day gambling on their phones? Seeing as how all those pesky E European, hard working, tax paying grafters won't be allowed in as they won't earn more than £30k p.a.?
    I'll mention it to my mate who lives in Lincolnshire when I speak to him next. Although to be fair, he is an NHS consultant.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Robert88 wrote:
    Joking apart, the army is trained to reach objectives with the utmost expediency. That's not what we have been witnessing over the last 2.5 years.

are you ex or serving by any chance?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Chances are it’s just Gavin Williamson gobbing off at the Cabinet table. Unless the plan is to make them all Special Constables a whole bunch of military bods won’t be much real use.

Specials arent any use either.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    orraloon wrote:
    When the benefit junkie Leave voters in Lincolnshire and other similar sh!tholes realise they will be required to go work in the vegetable fields at minimum wage instead of sitting in their local 'Spoons all day gambling on their phones? Seeing as how all those pesky E European, hard working, tax paying grafters won't be allowed in as they won't earn more than £30k p.a.?
    I'll mention it to my mate who lives in Lincolnshire when I speak to him next. Although to be fair, he is an NHS consultant.
    Not many NHS consultants be spending the daylight hours drinking cheap lager I reckon. Though Lincolnshire is a furrin land where customs be strange. Have they got webbed feet as well?
  • Chances are it’s just Gavin Williamson gobbing off at the Cabinet table. Unless the plan is to make them all Special Constables a whole bunch of military bods won’t be much real use.

Specials arent any use either.
    No, but they can direct traffic. Unlike the military, who have no powers. It’s just hoo-hah. Perhaps a rubbish attempt to show the EU we mean business.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Matthewfalle
    does anyone know what they plan to do with the 3,500 troops they say they are preparing for mobilisation in case of a "no deal" departure from the eu?

i've googled it but to no avail.

can anyone help please?

I haven't seen anything specific but I imagine it's for their logistics expertise.

their logistics expertise doesn't transfer across to civilian.

and there will be nothing to logistic.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    does anyone know what they plan to do with the 3,500 troops they say they are preparing for mobilisation in case of a "no deal" departure from the eu?

can anyone help please?

I haven't seen anything specific but I imagine it's for their logistics expertise.

I say imagine as I've no idea and I'm guessing
    I'd have assumed that they're good at moving stuff about
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809

can anyone help please?

Nah in the post brexit mad max world their expertise will transfer just fine
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Matthewfalle
    Jez mon wrote:

can anyone help please?

but what if there is nothing to logistic?

and what about all the civilian logisticers?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Jez mon wrote:

can anyone help please?

They're in a queue for the portaloos on the M25
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Jez mon wrote:

can anyone help please?

If it's such a disaster that there's nothing to logistic then maybe they can provide some crowd control.

But the reality is that once we join the economic fast lane that is a brexit no deal (Nadine Dorries MP words, not mine) we will have so much stuff to logistic, that we will need anyone and everyone's help.

If I'm being honest I have no idea what the army will do. I guess it's a bit of general willy waving from the govt...
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • They will not be much use but having 3500 soldiers just in case proves the government is doing something like forward planning for the first time since the referendum was announced. The fact they're back in the UK on rotation anyway doesn't mean anything. They would have been available for emergencies anyway so it's just pr.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,596
    orraloon wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    orraloon wrote:
    Not many NHS consultants be spending the daylight hours drinking cheap lager I reckon. Though Lincolnshire is a furrin land where customs be strange. Have they got webbed feet as well?
    Some of them could order 6 pints with one hand. It's a bit like Norfolk.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    They will not be much use but having 3500 soldiers just in case proves the government is doing something like forward planning for the first time since the referendum was announced. The fact they're back in the UK on rotation anyway doesn't mean anything. They would have been available for emergencies anyway so it's just pr.

The PR is exactly the point that is being made by Britain. The whole exercise of planning a no deal Brexit is of course responsible but the publicity it generates will have to be considered by Europe.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Why, there's stuff all the EU is going to do about it. You think they are suddenly going to back down and give in to Mrs. May's currently unknown demands?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Matthewfalle
    Robert88 wrote:
    Joking apart, the army is trained to reach objectives with the utmost expediency. That's not what we have been witnessing over the last 2.5 years.

are you ex or serving by any chance?

judging from his other comments it backs up my feeling that neither and knows nowt.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Some military planning will cross over to civilian life, but only within the confines of military control (that won't make sense but I know what I mean).
    Its difficult to suggest a single role the military would help with. But I'd suggest it would be a multitude of tasks. If there is a fuel strike or blockages similar to 2000 then you have ready made trained drivers and transport planners. Free up armed police who currently are occupied with "guard or patrol duties" enabling them to become more mobile. Usual bolstering security for high profile targets. Women soldiers used in other high profile situations to help provide a warm fuzzy feeling (newsreel shots etc). Again looking at the trades, medics would be useful.
    Certain battalions will already be riot trained or may need to do a small amount of additional training, I'm sure this will be seen as a last cause of action as the government really wouldn't want to see the army engaging with the public during demonstrations.
    I don't believe there is 3500 troops ever ready to deploy to aid civilian authorities. From memory (a long time ago so probably wrong)but I thought there is time when each Regiment is on stand-by, but this is generally a week of the troops not having leave. No specific training goes on and there is no prescribed role that I'm aware of.(Not sure if that happens to all Regiments or if it is the trades singled out)

Matthew you served yourself didn't you? (Not sure why I think that, but something in my mind makes me think you did)

Might be a worth a read....
    https://www.nam.ac.uk/explore/civil-enforcement
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews ... ntrol.html
  • I think that the idea of troops on the streets makes Gavin Williamson get a bit of a chirp on.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • orraloon
    I think that the idea of troops on the streets makes Gavin Williamson get a bit of a chirp on.
    I've never seen Tom Allen and Gavin Williamson in the same room at the same time.
  • orraloon wrote:
    I think that the idea of troops on the streets makes Gavin Williamson get a bit of a chirp on.
    I've never seen Tom Allen and Gavin Williamson in the same room at the same time.
    Uncanny, isn’t it? (I had to look Tom Allen up :lol: )
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I knew who Tom Allen is, but had to google what a chirp on meant! Oh I'm old!
  • orraloon
    Tom Allen is A class. Check out last week's HIGNFY, the More version on iPlayer. V good.