Dropper Post with 125mm minimum extension

jskrwyk
jskrwyk Posts: 10
edited December 2018 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking for a dropper post with a minimum extension of ~125mm and clamp size of 31.6mm. My saddle height is ~125mm due to short legs and long torso meaning I was between sizes on the frame and the larger felt better, but that also meant a smaller saddle extension height.

I've had trouble locating a dropper with a minimum extension (bottom of collar to seat rails) of 125mm, though. I found the KS E30i that comes in a 75mm extension model and that one has a minimum extension of 124mm but nowhere seems to have it in-stock. Does anybody have suggestion for alternatives? I was ideally looking for a target price around £150 - £200 but that's just a guideline.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So you need a stack height from seat tube to rails of 125mm or less? (Extension is the wrong word I think).

That's going to mean a drop of less than about 65mm as most have an extra stack of circa 60+mm for the collar and head.

As an example the Brand X dropper 85mm has a stack height of 155mm so wouldnt work for you.
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/brand-x-ascend ... -seatpost/

The shortest drop on this chart is 75mm and still has a stack of 140mm
    https://goo.gl/images/F4AvU4
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Sounds like you’re going to struggle. Too late now but it sounds like you should have gone for a long reach bike either a short seat tube rather than having to go for a large in a bike that must have quite a long seat tube.

I think the one up seatposts have adjustable drop through a spacer inside and a low stack height from what I’ve read - maybe have a look at those?
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    The alternative of course is to get whatever dropper you can, even if it is too high when fully extended. Then use the dropper function to get the height you want to ride at.

The upside is that you get to use a dropper - one of the most useful gadgets on an mtb.
    The downside is that the saddle does not return automatically to the height you want, you have to adjust as you ride. I speak from personal experience that although it is irritating, it is easy to do.

When I got my Capra YT (Large) it came with a 150 mm travel dropper. With the dropper body fully inserted into the seat tube and with the dropper fully extended, it was 10 mm too high for comfort. Just as I was getting used to it, the dropper (yes it was a Reverb) failed and I was able to replace it with a 125 mm travel - perfect!
  • The Rookie wrote:
    So you need a stack height from seat tube to rails of 125mm or less? (Extension is the wrong word I think).

That's going to mean a drop of less than about 65mm as most have an extra stack of circa 60+mm for the collar and head.

As an example the Brand X dropper 85mm has a stack height of 155mm so wouldnt work for you.
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/brand-x-ascend ... -seatpost/

The shortest drop on this chart is 75mm and still has a stack of 140mm
    https://goo.gl/images/F4AvU4

Different articles and companies seem to refer to it using differently terminology (both KS and RochShox refer to that measurement as minimum extension is various places, because it's the minimum amount of post extends from the seat-tube) but yes it's the stack height.
    Joebristol wrote:
    Sounds like you’re going to struggle. Too late now but it sounds like you should have gone for a long reach bike either a short seat tube rather than having to go for a large in a bike that must have quite a long seat tube.

I think the one up seatposts have adjustable drop through a spacer inside and a low stack height from what I’ve read - maybe have a look at those?

Yeah, ideally I would have went for a longer reach bike but for the budget I had this was the best spec'd bike I could get and does fit for riding. I'll check out the OneUp posts.
    The alternative of course is to get whatever dropper you can, even if it is too high when fully extended. Then use the dropper function to get the height you want to ride at.

I had thought of that, but was keeping that option in reserve as you say it isn't ideal. I know 125mm stacks/minimum extensions do exist like with the KS E30i so I'm hoping I can find either that or something similar available.