Bike lights

Den07
Den07 Posts: 2
edited December 2018 in Road general
Hi guys!

I'm new in the forum and would like to have any recommendations on bike lights. I usually ride at night and need some really bright lights (front & rear) I found online a brand name Nightprovision, but not sure if you can recommend them or any other brand I can purchase. :D

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Comments

• Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    oxoman wrote:

That's an illuminating thread.
  • ajkerr73
    ajkerr73 Posts: 318
    "To See" front light - Spanninga Thor 1100 - very neat package, two settings (no flash option). Battery has been A1. I paid £95 from Mantel (I think) but I've seen it cheaper since.

https://spanninga.com/en/product/thor-1100/

"Be Seen" - the new See Sense Ace pair with 30% off as a BC member - £56
  • For the rear I always try and have 2 lights at night, 1 on flash and one on solid which helps drivers judge the distance better than flashing.
    I have one of these on the seatpost and at 300 lumens is very bright (daylight bright) https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-strip-drive-pro-300/

I back it up with an infini lava which is very small and clips to a small saddle bag, the front lava makes a good back up front light https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Infini-Lava-Tw ... _74369.htm
  • The Bike Hut lights from Halfords look good - £40 for 1000 lumens is excellent value, plus you get an 'out front' mount that you can put a Garmin onto, and for another £5 you can get a handlebar remote button so no need to take your hands off the bars to change settings. And if you have British Cycling membership you get 10% discount.

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-l ... _recommend

As for rear lights, then there are just so many to choose from, but they all do the job they are meant to, with various degrees of modes and battery life. Having them visible from the side is a good option.
  • bungle73
    bungle73 Posts: 758
    I've got a set of Lezyne front and rear lights. They are very bright and have a plethora of modes. What's great about them is they attach using straps so you don't need mounts permanently attached to your bike, and you can stick them on the bike anywhere where they will fit
  • bungle73
    edited December 2018
    i think these are the ones I've got: https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Lezyne-Hecto-4 ... AQAvD_BwE#
  • bungle73
    Oh yeah and they charge via USB too, so no batteries to worry about.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,146
    OnTheRopes wrote:
    For the rear I always try and have 2 lights at night, 1 on flash and one on solid which helps drivers judge the distance better than flashing.
    It also means of one fails you have a spare. Another idea is to have 1 on the bike and one on your body/backpack/helmet in case you come off in the road :roll:

Currently have a Lezyne zecto drive on the rear - really nice but battery life isn't great. It needs charging daily if you're commuting any reasonable distance. PlanetX have knockoffs on their website, don't know if they are any good?
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Bungle73 wrote:

I got a Lifeline rear from Wiggle when the darkness came, it's bright but sh%t as the rechargeable battery lasts only a couple of hours then goes out without warning.

I've replaced it with a really cheap ebay special that you put AAAs in. You can last a whole winter on these and when the batteries start to go the light gets dimmer.
  • bungle73
    craker wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:

I got a Lifeline rear from Wiggle when the darkness came, it's bright but sh%t as the rechargeable battery lasts only a couple of hours then goes out without warning.

I've replaced it with a really cheap ebay special that you put AAAs in. You can last a whole winter on these and when the batteries start to go the light gets dimmer.

On mine you can give the on/off switch a quick press, and it will show how much power is left using a coloured light. The modes include the ability to turn the power down so they last longer. The lowest power mode lasts up to 25 hours on the front, and up to 8 on the rear. That is non-flashing. That's if Lezyne's claims are to be believed of course.......
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Bungle73 wrote:
    craker wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:

On mine you can give the on/off switch a quick press, and it will show how much power is left using a coloured light. The modes include the ability to turn the power down so they last longer. The lowest power mode lasts up to 25 hours on the front, and up to 8 on the rear. That is non-flashing. That's if Lezyne's claims are to be believed of course.......

Do you actually have a bike?
  • bungle73
    edited December 2018
    One thing I will say though is that I think there are too many modes tbh. Eight on the front, and a nine on the rear! I never use most of them.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    So long as the light remembers the mode you last used - the numbers of modes available don't really matter to me.
    Studies show that an irregular flash catches the eyes more than regular flashes though so that might be worthwhile remembering.

Not sure how lighthouses have coped so far...
  • OnTheRopes wrote:
    For the rear I always try and have 2 lights at night, 1 on flash and one on solid which helps drivers judge the distance better than flashing.
    It also means of one fails you have a spare. Another idea is to have 1 on the bike and one on your body/backpack/helmet in case you come off in the road :roll:

Currently have a Lezyne zecto drive on the rear - really nice but battery life isn't great. It needs charging daily if you're commuting any reasonable distance. PlanetX have knockoffs on their website, don't know if they are any good?
    Yeh I have started carrying a third in my pocket for such an event
  • Bungle73 wrote:
    One thing I will say though is that I think there are two many modes tbh. Eight on the front, and a nine on the rear! I never use most of them.
    how can eight on the front and nine on the rear make two?
  • bungle73
    Bungle73 wrote:
    One thing I will say though is that I think there are two many modes tbh. Eight on the front, and a nine on the rear! I never use most of them.
    how can eight on the front and nine on the rear make two?

Fixed.