Campag Chorus RH shifter missing shifts

bondurant
bondurant Posts: 858
edited April 2019 in Workshop
As above. Pre-2015 11 speed RH shifter has recently developed an annoying habit of missing the odd shift. Not consistently either, I can't replicate it on a specific gear, for instance. What happened is the shift lever travels past the first click on the ratchet before it engages.

Diagnosis, forumites? Buggered or an easy fix?

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    Velotech
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    It may be cable is a bit slack. You could try pushing button all the way down to small cog position and reclamp after pulling it taut.
  • I'm not sure cable tension can be the answer, the ratchet would still click whether or not it is tight I'd have thought? When it shifts, it shifts perfectly.
  • mercia_man
    I don’t say cable tension is for certain the issue but it sounds like not enough cable is being pulled per click. I’ve had your symptoms on an early 2000s set of ergolevers. Getting the cable taut did the trick. Worth trying any way.
  • mercia_man
    Or maybe inner cables need cleaning/replacing?
  • Cables are a couple of years old, I'll give that a try. Thanks chaps.
  • If the ratchet has gone then that's an easy fix for the folks at Velotech.
  • I've had this on 2008/2009 older shape Chorus shifter's and on the newer shape Centaur. They can be repaired as stated above, when I looked circa £80-100. I managed to source a set NOS to replace them for not much more. I think this is a well known issue with Campagnolo shifters and could be due to low quality internals/premature wear rates and lack of maintenance (not in my case). I found my mis-shift got progressively worse from shifting badly every now and then to mis-shifting every time at a certain point. I found pushing the thumb shift button gently upwards a bit helped resolve the situation for a while too.

Should be like SRAM customer care; a 10 speed Force lever snapped at pivot 18months or so ago and they supplied me a brand new left-hand lever, I was impressed with that level of service support.
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I just had my Super Record levers overhauled by Simon at year1cycles and had excellent service, an alternative option to Velotech. It wasn't expensive and he turned them around in a couple of days.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Thanks!
  • You could always try it yourself. Fiddly and a bit time consuming the first time round, but very satisfying!

viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=13081230&hilit=ergo
  • Funnily enough that is what I am doing at this precise moment, though I bought a replacement body rather than a complete dismantle. Just shoving cables back in and done.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Bondurant wrote:
    Funnily enough that is what I am doing at this precise moment, though I bought a replacement body rather than a complete dismantle. Just shoving cables back in and done.

Get off this forum. The job you are doing needs all your concentration. Good luck with it.
  • 44602437060_a361425e4d_c.jpg
  • So is that you at the start of a compete rebuild or the end? Nice set of punches, btw.
  • Not a complete rebuild. Just swapping out the body for a new one.
  • Interesting. Didn't realise replacement bodies came with an assembled mechanism. Is that much cheaper than a new shifter?

PS - apologies, I edited my original comment, which was that I didn't think a replacement body would fix the problem. But then I realised that even if it didn't include the mechanism, you'd have to do a complete strip and rebuild to swap things over. As it turns, out, all is well.
  • By the way, assuming you didn't have to exchange the old ergolever, you now have one to experiment on if you are that way inclined. There's a fair chance if just needs stripped, cleaned and reassembled.
  • £65. Not too bad. I'm going to strip down the spare at some point, it is a good idea as you say.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    When striping down these shifters its too easy to bend the springs. Since there are no internal spares there is no point anyway as missing shifts mean a something is worn. Overhauling them in not a commercial proporities when ac ec-re100 ergo body is £65.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Granted a full rebuild is not for everyone, and you probably could do some damage if not careful, but mine are working perfectly again. Based on the dirt I found in there and the condition of the surfaces, I'm happy it was dirt and not wear and tear that caused my shifting problems.

I have never seen ergo bodies for sale online - is that a trade-only part and price? It seems good value when the full ergo levers cost £200+ and the only things you get for the extra money are the brake levers and the rubber covers.
  • bondurant
    Available to all
  • bondurant
    To wrap this up...

Once I'd got the old mechanism off I found that the only thing that was wrong was the thumb shifter paddle being seized up where it hinges to the ratcheting mechanism. It is supposed to pivot where it hinges to allow proper engagement to the ratchet teeth. As it was seized, it would not allow proper engagement.

Bit of oil and manipulation (!) and I have a perfectly working spare...

The oval below shows where the pivot is to be found. The arrows show how the pivot is supposed to allow the thumb shifter paddle to move (on top of the larger up and down movement as it changes gear obviously).

47695777041_47cfa8a145_z.jpg