Change from Orro to Mason

Musicalbanks
Musicalbanks Posts: 2
edited December 2018 in Road buying advice
I currently have an Orro Terra gravel discus bike. Use it mostly for commuting and nasty weather rides on the weekend in the Surrey hills. I have upgraded a few bits, with a Carbon version of the 3T Ergonova bars, a canyon VCLS ‘tuning fork’ seat post, Prologo Nago evo saddle and Hunt 30 carbon wheels. Still running the hydraulic 105 group set - ugly hoods :-(
The Orro has been totally dependable but I am tempted by a Mason Definition.
I’m not in to Carbon frames so the Definition appeals as fast, all weather alu bike with the right brake set up.
The thing I am a conscious of, is the law of diminishing returns; how much ‘better’ will it actually ride?
Stiffness, acceleration, road buzz etc.
Any experience with any similar dilemma and outcome much appreciated.
Cheers

Comments

• I haven't ridden either of the bikes, but seeing how much a Mason costs I wouldn't want to use it for commuting.
    My opinion on bikes these days though, is if you want it and can afford it and it puts a huge smile on your face, then why not get it. But don't expect it to make that much difference to your performance (training does that).
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Sir_Les wrote:
    I haven't ridden either of the bikes, but seeing how much a Mason costs I wouldn't want to use it for commuting.
    My opinion on bikes these days though, is if you want it and can afford it and it puts a huge smile on your face, then why not get it. But don't expect it to make that much difference to your performance (training does that).

why wouldn't you use it for communting?

the times you probably need cheering up the most are to and from work so a good bike does just this.

buy the Mason and keep the Orro as a second bike. you always get a dilemma buying a new bike and once bought it always turns out good.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    I think I'm set on getting the Mason Bokeh for.my 10 mile each way commute, wider tyre clearance and option of 650b as well as 700c, otherwise I'd be tempted with the Resolution 2 steel as something different.
    Just waiting for the it to come into stock, I have been looking and the only other bike that seems to fit is the Orra Terra C carbon but am too dubious about carbon especially when fitted with guards and rack.
    I think there's quality in the Mason, will put a smile on my face but probably not all that different in everyday use or any faster than a sub £2k or even £1k I guess similar to 105 Vs ultegra Vs Dura Ace for average day use. I always would be thinking if only....OTOH after awhile the initial setup cost be forgotten about but will hopefully be still smiling from the joy of use/ownership. I see it as an investment and last a long time, I'm not for replacing frames unless broken and cheaper then repairing