Planet X RTD-80 with Etap

whyamihere
whyamihere Posts: 7,695
edited February 2019 in Your road bikes
yTuICdZ.jpg

I need to get the stem slammed and then it will be perfect. Weight is 7.4kg, which is pretty damn good for a bike with discs, electronic gears, power meter and the odd aero bit.

Main bits:
Frame/fork: Planet X RTD-80
Wheels: Prime RP-38
Drivetrain: Sram Red Etap WiFli, with Absolute Black oval rings and a temporary boat anchor 105 cassette until the weather's better
Tyres: Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance 11Storm Tubeless (the most ridiculously long name for tyres ever)
Handlebar: Prime Primavera
Saddle: Specialized Power S-Works
Pedals: Favero Assioma dual

Various weight weenie bits scattered around. 'Tis fast.

Comments

• Very nice Chris, very nice indeed!
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • orlok
    orlok Posts: 89
    whyamihere wrote:
    Tyres: Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance 11Storm Tubeless (the most ridiculously long name for tyres ever)
    It could be worse: Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance 11Storm Tubeless limited edition Thomas Voeckler. :lol:
    There will be always a moment of tailwind.Pinarello F8/10 - Ultegra 8000 Di2 - Carbonspeed C50 UST - Tubeless
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Does look good that, have you found any plugs to cover the gear cable holes? I have a look on planetX but found nothing
  • whyamihere
    Thanks chaps. I may have to get the Tommy V limited tyres and practice my gurning.

Step83 - Assuming that it's the same between the RT-80 and the RTD-80, you want this: https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FSPXRTDDI ... king-plate

The description's completely wrong, but it is actually the right thing. There's only 1 in the pack though, and you'll need to reuse the screws from your cable guides - M3 with countersunk heads if one drops under the fridge.
  • step83
    ahhh, THAT turnip haha, thanks I've get some on order.
  • Hi. If your in the market for plugs for the cable holes, I have used a company called shapeways with great success, if your not 100% satisfied you will get a refund. Here's the link below;

https://www.shapeways.com
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Would sugru work to cover the blanks ?
  • step83
    cougie wrote:
    Would sugru work to cover the blanks ?

Thats what I've done on mine, I put a plug in the offending holes an it seems to be working, If I need to order anything from planetx ill order the proper blanking plates.
  • whyamihere
    Some updates...

ciJRsC8.jpg

The biggest one is the fork, which I got off Ebay apparently unused, and came from a Trek Emonda SLR. A few reasons for this - It increases tyre clearance (the original fork can only fit a 25, it might be advantageous at times to run a 28 or even a 30), it has a thru-axle which is nicer on the front with discs, and it's about 100g lighter, though that is mostly cancelled out by the actual axle and the flat mount to post mount adaptor. Unfortunately it does have red on the front, which doesn't exactly match... At some point I may sand the red off and redo the clearcoat, but I'm not generally that bothered with how the bike looks as long as it rides well.

Smaller updates are the seatpost which supports the carbon saddle rails better, and the Red cassette, which is nothing more than a bit of bicycle bling.

This has all conspired to take the weight down to 7.2kg, which unfortunately makes me tempted to start looking at stupidly light bits to get it under the UCI limit... I could just do as many manufacturers do to cheat and take a measurement without pedals, bottle cages, computer mount, sealant etc, but that's not really the point. :)

If the weather holds, I'll be doing my first ride of the year on this tomorrow, and I can't wait.