Removing Tubeless Sealant Stains from Clothing

Quizmate
Quizmate Posts: 97
edited December 2018 in Road general
Anyone know how to get tubeless sealant out of black lycra? Love the technology as every puncture has sealed with minimal loss of pressure and I've never had to pull over. However the stuff sprays everywhere and no amount of washing seems to get it out of clothing. Not great when your kit costs an arm and a leg in the first place!

Comments

• is it silicon based? If so nothing will remove it
  • big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    Mudguards for tubeless :lol:

Let it dry and peel, or apply heat (hairdryer)?
  • It's winter so I am running mudguards! Still sprays on lower leg and overshoes :roll:
  • shiznit76 wrote:
    is it silicon based? If so nothing will remove it

I'm guessing latex. Possible that alcohol spray or gel might work.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Lighter fluid.
    In another life time age I once worked for a tiling company and we used to prime steel surfaces with a latex solution. I used to come home covered in the stuff. I used to have give myself a good rub down in the garden with said fluid before having a shower.
  • Webboo wrote:
    Lighter fluid.
    In another life time age I once worked for a tiling company and we used to prime steel surfaces with a latex solution. I used to come home covered in the stuff. I used to have give myself a good rub down in the garden with said fluid before having a shower.

Would lighter fluid not possibly damage / discolour lycra? I'd test on an out of sight area before letting loose with it
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Certainly if you ignite it.
  • big_harv
    Slime, according to Halfords, claims to be water soluble. Best check the small print on whatever you used. Email the manufacturer perhaps?

Sorry if I appear to not be taking this over seriously. When I more frequently rode with a club I was accustomed to dodging snot rockets. Apparently in the intervening years a new dilemma has arisen. :?
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Tubeless sealant stains...yeah right ;)
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • big_harv
    Svetty wrote:

Oh, thank God. I'm imagining sealant blowing out like a humpback whale blowhole in the Southern Ocean! Tell me it ain't so
  • Svetty wrote:

Quizmate, we all know what it rhymes with. Just come clean. Pun intended.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    Svetty wrote:
    Even my wife wouldn't believe that excuse, and she is pretty gullible.
    Face it, she married me. :lol:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Svetty wrote:
    Even my wife wouldn't believe that excuse, and she is pretty gullible.
    Face it, she married me. :lol:
    Surely Fishbot after his encounters with Russian ladies will have the answer on how to clean up?
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....