Shimano MT520 4-Piston Caliper

Danny1920
Danny1920 Posts: 51
edited January 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
After every visit to BPW I've left thinking yeah that was bloody brilliant & I could
definitely do with some more stopping power :lol: .Currently have SLX m7000's which are fine
for general trail riding but definately fade on those long desents.So was thinking about either
the Zee's or the Saints but came across these budget 4-piston shimano calipers & was
wondering if anyones had a go.It would seem they'll work fine with the SLX m7000 brake
lever which is good because they're better than the lever thats supplied with the
deore 4-piston(MT501) as a set.If I were to part with my hard earned I'd most probably get
the set for £53 :shock: ( ..the caliper alone is £38 & then the pads,so makes sense to keep levers
as spares.It's a nice change to not have to pay through the nose(I paid £60 for a remote dropper &
companies are asking £60 for a piece of god dam foam ffs :lol: )& get a really great product(hopefully)
421575_3634526_zpsp7md0yvj.jpg

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Fade is caused by heat, changing the calliper to produce more power won’t fix that, bigger discs and/or with improved heat dissipation and finned pads will do that.

You can also improve fade with technique, don’t drag the brakes, get off them, either brake hard or not at all, that allows the disc and pad to cool between uses.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Having ridden BPW with both SLX and XT brakes, I've never had lack of brakes when I needed them. My arms on the other hand did occasionally fail me.

You do of course need good brakes and I'm sure it's partly down to experience, confidence and `ability`. I'm a really average rider and BPW is a bit more than my usual XC type riding. I do love the flowing blues more than the reds. I am quite good on my brakes and tend to dab them when needed and try to avoid longer braking. You might say that's hard to do and maybe it just takes more practice.

Some finned pads might help and in terms of rotor size, I've always had 180 front and 160 rear, so size isn't everything.

Brakes do get hot and sometimes it's just how you manage them that's the key.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    I have ridden BPW with Deore (M615), SLX (M675) and XT (M785 & M8000) brakes and never suffered from brake fade.
    As mentioned above try not to drag your brakes and fit finned pads. Much cheaper and easier than fitting new calipers.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    Fitting bigger diameter discs is an easy upgrade and massively increases your stopping power. Don't forget that you will need adaptors - these are spacers that go underneath the caliper body to move the caliper further out.
  • Thank for the advice fellas & trust me I'm aware I need to improve my
    braking technique.Hopefully that'll come with the more riding I do & the
    experience gained from that.Regards the 4-piston calipers …...is it an
    upgrade that you can really notice.Can u feel the performance upgrade
    going to 4pots from 2pot.More interested if there's more modulation or is
    it just the same.I'm off to Whistler @the end of July.Another reason why
    I'm considering bigger brakes
  • Some will say 4 pot are better and some will say you don't need it.

A lot of it comes done to the type of riding you will do and whether it would benefit you.

For you, I don't know the answer to that unfortunately.

There was a time when 4 pot was the thing to have because it was more than 2 pot and you get the usual hype around these sorts of enhancements.

If you're doing Whistler then 4 pot might help as you should get more braking power - but you still need to learn how to get the most out of it. If you are going to drag/cook your brakes, then it's unlikely to help.

Rotor size (and quality) and decent pads will help as well.

It's a great learning curve!
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Anyone got these?

I’ve read they are just the same zee calliper with a different paint design on them
  • cobba
    cobba Posts: 282
    swod1 wrote:
    I’ve read they are just the same zee calliper with a different paint design on them

The XT BR-M8020 is the same caliper as the Saint/Zee calipers.
    The BR-MT520 is a different shaped caliper to the Saint/Zee/XT.
    The BR-MT520 uses the same pads as the Saint/Zee/XT.
    The BR-MT520 has a straight hose connection, the Saint/Zee/XT use a banjo connection.
    The BR-MT520 has ceramic pistons like the Saint/Zee/XT have.
  • cobba wrote:
    swod1 wrote:

The XT BR-M8020 is the same caliper as the Saint/Zee calipers.
    The BR-MT520 is a different shaped caliper to the Saint/Zee/XT.
    The BR-MT520 uses the same pads as the Saint/Zee/XT.
    The BR-MT520 has a straight hose connection, the Saint/Zee/XT use a banjo connection.
    The BR-MT520 has ceramic pistons like the Saint/Zee/XT have.

thanks for the info
  • While having a look @ these 4pots i noticed that the hose connection is straight on as
    opposed to the side connection on the SLXm700 Caliper.Now I don't wanna have to
    change the hose (internal routing)& prefer the levers on the M700 brakes.Can I just
    connect using the current hardware or would I have to change the connectors @the end of the hose(the
    bit that screws int the caliper)Cheer's
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Danny1920 wrote:
    While having a look @ these 4pots i noticed that the hose connection is straight on as
    opposed to the side connection on the SLX m7000 Caliper.Now I don't wanna have to
    change the hose (internal routing)& prefer the levers on the M7000 brakes.Can I just
    connect using the current hardware or would I have to change the connectors @the end of the hose(the
    bit that screws int the caliper)Cheer's

Just check what brake hose and fittings the SLX use before buying. You might get lucky and be able to reuse the current hose and banjo fitting.

Double check the Shimano tech docs website.

Be interesting to know as i might upgrade my XT M785 to 4 piston calipers.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Danny1920 wrote:
    prefer the levers on the M700 brakes.
    You may with the existing 2 pot callipers, you may not with the higher fluid requirement 4 pots, The 4 pot levers have a greater fluid transfer to suite the calipers., while 2 pot levers work you usually have to adjust the reach out a bit and dial out the freestroke to get them to work decently.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cobba wrote:
    Both use the SM-BH90 hose but they use different connections at the caliper and lever.

This connection on BR-M7000/8000 hose should allow you to attach a BR-MT520 caliper.
    https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brakes/shimano-deore-brm596-connecting-bolt-unit-y8kh98010/
    * You would need enough hose length to cut off the existing fitting to attach this.
    The Rookie wrote:
    You may with the existing 2 pot callipers, you may not with the higher fluid requirement 4 pots, The 4 pot levers have a greater fluid transfer to suite the calipers., while 2 pot levers work you usually have to adjust the reach out a bit and dial out the freestroke to get them to work decently.

Thanks for that info....Just what I needed to Know.Will give it a try & see how it goes