New Mid Range GPS Computer

bmxboy10
bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
edited December 2018 in Road buying advice
My Garmin 200 doesn't seem to hold a charge for very long now so I thought I would see if there are any deals on new units. I did get the Wahoo Elemnt from Wiggle with all the sensors for £250 but returned it as I thought it was overkill for my needs. All I really want is a basic GPS device and to have navigation and maps would be a nice feature as I have not had this before.

The Garmin 520 seems ok for the price of £150 but I think I read that some people had bad experiences with this unit?

Any other options in this price bracket?

Comments

• If you have an account at Merlin with 150+ points, you could get https://www.merlincycles.com/lezyne-meg ... 15033.html for £143

Unlike the above, it isn't in the latest Lezyne generation, but https://www.merlincycles.com/lezyne-sup ... 94800.html isn't a bad unit. However, I've had an odd issue with mine since the summer, it seems as if one particular starred segment of mine causes the unit to completely freeze up (losing the ride recording) when using the "live segments" feature.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,143
    Based on your description the 520 ticks all the boxes and is in budget.
    But I think you'd be better off going over budget and getting an Element Bolt. Fundamentally the same as the Element you sent back, just a tad smaller and cheaper. I don't think the 520 is as flawed as some would make out, but lots of people have made the switch to a Bolt, and everyone that has raves about it.
    Other options are the Edge 130, which is a new Garmin that's a bit more pared back than the 520, good reviews but no mapping.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    I put a new battery in my Edge 500 (same form factor as the 200) for about £10 a while ago. It’s an easy job (must have been if I could manage it) and battery life is better now than it was when new. Apart from the battery itself, you just need the tool to undo the case and a glue gun - there are videos online to help as well.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    BMXboy10 wrote:
    The Garmin 520 seems ok for the price of £150 but I think I read that some people had bad experiences with this unit?

Any other options in this price bracket?
    The 520 isn't really a mapping and navigation unit. It can store a smallish map and show you a course on it but you can only use cue points embedded into the course to navigate. The device won't calculate directions. The cheapest Garmin unit that is actually designed for navigation is the 520+.