Tri bars - Riding position

scooby_doo_do
scooby_doo_do Posts: 31
edited December 2018 in Road general
Good morning,
I currently have a 2017 venge vias and recently fitted the venge specific aero tri bars. I've not used tri bars before but thought it might be a nice addition when using the trainer, however I’m finding that my knees hit my elbows (my knees probably go about 2 inches above them so i'm cycling bow legged as such to clear them) and I feel ridiculously cramped up. Is there a knack to these, or am I supposed to move my saddle back and tilt it forward slightly? I feel like the bars should be longer but they are a set design so maybe just not for me as can't adjust the length as far as I can see. (I was fitted on to the bike when in the normal riding position so didn't really want to adjust too much).
thanks in advace.
Craig

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Bikes designed for tribars have different geometry. That said I've been ok with tribars on road bikes in the past.

Can you post a picture ? When I'm on the tribars my elbows are above the top tube so well out of the way.
  • no problem, will try ad get a pic later of the setup, but they look like this: https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Specialized/Venge-ViAS-Aero-Clip-On-Extension-Bars-ITU/ERR7
    The are quite short, so if i'm holding the top bar, i'd say the rests are just behind my wrists.
  • Well the issue is, as you say, your wrists are just in front of the rests, which means your elbows are way too far back (and therefore you are knocking them with your knees). I would suggest that your elbows need to be closer to the rests, but this design seems to limit your options. It doesn't help that the rests need to be on the stem, rather than on the bars as with most clip-ons - the whole design is bringing your arms backwards, and therefore into a far more cramped position than you should be.
    Given that you have aero profile bars, then your options for clip-ons is extremely limited (and ruddy expensive as well!). Not sure what to suggest really, other than trying to find clip-ons that can work with aero-profile bars (ie can be attached to the bars, not the stem). Coincidentally I have been looking for the very same (as I am considering aero-profile bars for a triathlon ready bike), but have not been able to find any.
  • Being a "draft legal" triathlon aero bar, they are WAY too short to dial in a good position.

Most of the time when you add clip-on bars, to get a proper position you'd actually bring your saddle forwards and drop the front end. A solution (but not ideal one) would be to just move your elbows forwards somewhat so your wrists hang over the front of the bars.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Is this not how they mount ?

https://goo.gl/images/vaKvfQ
  • Is this not how they mount ?
    To be legal for a draft triathlon (if that is what they are being used for) then the end of the tribar can't extend beyond the hoods.

Depends on what the OP intends to use them for. I'm not sure I would play with my position too much if I had been fitted unless you intend to spend all your time on the tribar.
  • lochindaal wrote:
    Is this not how they mount ?
    To be legal for a draft triathlon (if that is what they are being used for) then the end of the tribar can't extend beyond the hoods.

Depends on what the OP intends to use them for. I'm not sure I would play with my position too much if I had been fitted unless you intend to spend all your time on the tribar.

Yes, they are advertised as 'ITU compliant', so would have to comply with that rule (which is probably why a lot of ITU triathletes don't bother with clip-ons - although you see more of them now than you used to). The OP said he wanted to use them for turbo use only, so not an issue if he could find a set of 'normal' clip-on tri bars - but I can't see that being easy given the aero shape of the handlebars that they need to clip onto.

Are there any aero bar compatible full length extensions out there? If so, this could be the only option.