Tool set

pikeman65
pikeman65 Posts: 56
edited December 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Early in the new year after I've built my new bike cave/workshop I'm buying a Whyte T-130 S, I also want to buy a full set of tools to keep it in top condition, the question is a big ask but can anyone who has one of these bikes or very similar, please give me a full list of every tool for me to be able to maintain and to do a full strip down of the bike, and also does anyone apart from Park Tools do a full range as they're a bit pricey and i'd rather use the money for other bike stuff rather than tools without a big name stuck on them, thanks in advance.

Sean.

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    The basics are:
    Good set of allen keys,
    Cross head screw drivers,
    Cassette lock ring tool,
    Torque wrench,
    Bottom bracket tool,
    Decent floor pump,
    Tyre levers,

For out and about get a good multitool, chain splitter, quick links, a good hand pump, spare tubes and a puncture repair kit/patches.

Watch some of the Park Tool videos and GMBN tech videos and you'll work out what you need.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    On One, CRC etc generally have reasonably comprehensive 'own brand' tools and kits which are decent quality. And cheap.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Shock pump for sure add that to list.

Cable cutters, chain wear checker, torx keys t25 at least, the list is endless

Also don’t go crazy but have a few spares too like a pack or 2 of brake pads, Kmc chain quick links, tyre sealant etc these will always come in handy at some point.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    edited December 2018
    Do not buy all at once, therefore avoiding tools that you may never need.
    Do not be tempted to buy one of those all in one tool kits, they have tools that you will never use.
    Do not buy anything other than the basics until you need it.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Be aware that some tools cannot be replicated with a lash up, so buy that tool. I'm thinking of a work stand, chain whip, chain breaker, cable cutter, torque wrench and its bits. I don't consider it a tool but get yourself a shock pump (essential) and a digital tyre gauge (I never ride without mine). Oh and get some zip ties in various widths; as for length - a long one can always be cut down!
  • In addition to what Steve said above, have a look at the halfords professional range of tools.

My tools are made up of an old halfords mechanic toolkit which i have used for motorbike, house and push bike, for nearly 15 years now with no problems and park tool for more specific bike tools that i bought when jobs required it.

They are pricey but once you use a decent tool you see where the money went.
  • Get a good wall clamp or stand like the PCS-9 PCS-10 stands.

Most useful tools are screw drivers, allen keys and torx keys.

Look for Park Tools on ebay, used, auction or buy it now. You can get some good deals.

I have found X tools stuff to be good quality and IceToolz, some of their stuff is solid, like their pedal spanner and cable cutters
  • Epic reply, thanks a lot everyone, your advice is a massive help indeed, I'll do everything I've been advised to do and I know I'll not go wrong :wink: all the best.

Sean.
  • Once you've got the tools - you just need to know how to use them.

Trial and error can be frustrating and expensive! I've found on-line guides and videos really helpful.

Good luck with it all.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I’ve just thought also buy some isopropyl alcohol to have in. Great for cleaning disc brakes if you ever get the dreaded squeal etc.

Also a tube of top quality grease, for pedal threads, headset and bottom bracket etc.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    swod1 wrote:
    I’ve just thought also buy some isopropyl alcohol to have in. ...........

It is also good for removing tree sap from the bodywork of your car. Comes right off! :)
  • Fortunately I've owned bikes in the past so I've got some idea what to do but theres a lot to learn too, also I have already got some quality tools like Facom torx screwdrivers, draper allen keys, Kamasa socket sets, I just need the MTB specific tools now, and a bike of coarse, thanks for your advice guys much appreciated.

Sean.