Big difference in torque values for different stems?

2»

Comments

• ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Pinno, winter bike or not, stop being a cheapskate and buy some new bolts. That looks 'orrible as it is and you should be ashamed :D:D
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,098
    ayjaycee wrote:
    Pinno, winter bike or not, stop being a cheapskate and buy some new bolts. That looks 'orrible as it is and you should be ashamed :D:D

The whole thing needs tlc. Most of the bolts are like that. I'm still alive. :D
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Stem bolts are chrome/nickel plated. You can buy stainless steel or titanium ones, if you wish.

Bungle - don't go anywhere near 10Nm with the new stem/steerer or any future stems/steerers.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    edited December 2018
    Just checked my stem bolts (with a magnet) Tioga - all stainless
    Ritchey- all stainless
    Planet x- all stainless
    2x Deda - all magnetic so probably chrome plated steel.

Other stainless ones- bottle cage bolts, Shimano crank arm pinch bolts, some seatpost clamp bolts, Ultegra caliper bolts, stem topcap, all spokes (which are actually bolts) mudguard hardwear . See there are some stainless bolts on bikes.

Not all stainless is non magnetic, so can't say 100% that magnetic bolts aren't stainless but probably are not.

Maybe I shouldn't have said "nearly all bolts are stainless" rather many bolts are.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    jermas wrote:
    See there are some stainless bolts on bikes.

I don't think anyone ever claimed different. At least you've gone from 'nearly all' to 'some', which is a step in the right direction, I suppose...
    jermas wrote:
    nearly all silver bolts on a bike ARE stainless

Except for the 'silver' ones I checked earlier, including rear mech mounting bolt, cable clamp bolt, limit screws, saddle clamp bolt, seat collar bolt, front mech mounting bolt, top cap bolt, stem clamp bolts, bar clamp bolts......all non-stainless. They're still silver though.

BTW - spokes are not 'bolts' - but I expect that's a whole new thread... :roll:
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,098
    ...and the plating can make them seem less magnetic. How strong is your magnet?
    ...and we have no idea of the grade of stainless steel.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • jermas
    Strong magnet. Spokes are bolts just long and thin but still threaded with a nut/nipple .
  • imposter2.0
    I think you're just trolling now.. :lol:

A 'spoke' has its own definition in engineering, which differs considerably from that of a 'bolt'. But again, if you can evidence your assertion, I'd be glad to read it.
  • This is one of the most wonderfully geeky arguments I’ve read in ages.
  • imposter2.0
    If a 'spoke' is a 'bolt'.......then a 'bolt' must also be a 'spoke'...

2b8pus.jpg
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Fuuuuuuuuuck dude
  • jermas
    Oxford English dictionary
    A bolt:
    Definition- long pin with a head that screws into a nut, used to fasten things together.

A spoke connects the hub to the rim

An apple is a fruit but that doesn't mean a fruit must be an apple.
  • imposter2.0
    What is the OED definition of ‘spoke’..? Maybe post that up as well... :roll:
  • jermas
    Look up narcissistic personality disorder. It might explain something about your character.
  • imposter2.0
    Leave out the pathetic insults and just post up the meaning..? Makes you look like a sore loser otherwise...
  • jermas wrote:
    Stainless can rust. Having work with bolts for 40 years I know what a stainless bolt is. Why you believe that every stainless bolt is stamped is beyond me.

I have you down as a thick sheet metal worker
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Vino'sGhost
    Popcorn time
  • Ben6899
    A spoke isn't a bolt, FFS. You lot can debate the rest til your hearts are content, but I'm not having a spoke being a bolt.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • Vino'sGhost
    I don’t understand what the argument is all about, stainless steel is resistant to corrosion to a much greater degree than other ordinary or carbon steels.

The level of corrosion resistance is dependant on the materials used to make the steel. In bike applications the two most likely causes of stainless corrosion are galvanic (quite possibly from rain) and pitting due to chlorides. Winter riding obviously sees chlorides in contact with your bike and sweat from turbo sessions is frequently left to do its thing. Bolt screw nuts call them what you will, they’re going to corrode.

Here endeth the lesson.
  • Ben6899
    Bolt screw nuts call them what you will...

Except spoke.
    Ben

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,983
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Bolt screw nuts call them what you will...

Except spoke.
    Components.
    End of debate.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,699
    A bolt has a plain shoulder, a screw is threaded right up to the head. But to call a spoke a bolt is stretching things somewhat.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Veronese68 wrote:
    A bolt has a plain shoulder, a screw is threaded right up to the head. But to call a spoke a bolt is stretching things somewhat.

If the thread is stretching that’s waaaay too much torque :)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,699
    Veronese68 wrote:

Well if you want to make a spoke out of a bolt :lol:
  • Vino'sGhost
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Well if you want to make a spoke out of a bolt :lol:

Enough! Stop screwing about :lol:
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    but surely the final torque settingl depends on whether the bolts are greased or not?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • jermas wrote:
    Oxford English dictionary
    A bolt:
    Definition- long pin with a head that screws into a nut, used to fasten things together.

A spoke connects the hub to the rim

An apple is a fruit but that doesn't mean a fruit must be an apple.
    PANTS ON FIRE!

a. A stout metal pin with a head, used for holding things fast together. It may be permanently fixed, secured by riveting or by a nut, as the bolts of a ship; or movable, passing through a hole, as the bolts of a shutter.The bolts in ships, gun-carriages, etc. have various names according to their nature, purpose, or position, as clinch-bolts, ring-bolts, set-bolts; bed-bolts, eye-bolts, etc. See clinch n.1, ring n.1, etc.
    1626 J. Smith Accidence Young Sea-men 10 Bindings, knees, boults, trunions.
    1627 J. Smith Sea Gram. ii. 5 Set bolts for forcing the workes and plankes together.
    1672 Compl. Gunner vi. 7 For fear any Bolts should give way or draw.
    1769 W. Falconer Universal Dict. Marine at Cannon Breeching-bolts, with rings, through which the breechings pass.
    1792 Gentleman's Mag. Apr. 344 A machine for driving bolts..into ships.
    1794 W. Felton Treat. Carriages I. 120 The common bolt, which receives a screwed nut at the bottom.
    1851 A. H. Layard Pop. Acct. Discov. Nineveh xiii. 344 Holes for bolts exist in many of the slabs.

Anyway, OED is hardly the best place to go for a definition on anything to do with Engineering.