9 speed to 11 speed conversion

JakeWalker
JakeWalker Posts: 3
edited December 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
I was just wondering if I can swap my 2x9 drivetrain on Vitus Nucleus VR 2018 HT, to a 1x11 if I just buy an 11 speed cassette. I was thinking about the Shimano deore XT M8000. Would it fit? Cheers

http://vitusbikes.com/products/nucleus-vr-2018/

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    An 11-speed cassette will fit, but you will also have to change your rear derailleur and shifter, and probably the chain and chainring(s).
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Definitely the chain as well because the chain needs to be narrower to run on the more closely spaced gears on the 11-speed cassette. The 11-speed chain will run on the 9-speed gear on the front.

But why not convert to 1x11 instead of 2x11? You will be able to ditch the front mech and left shifter and all that cable.
    Your new mech will almost certainly be a clutch mech and to take maximum advantage of that you should go for the narrow/wide front ring. Therefore get rid of one of the front rings, preferably both, and buy a narrow/wide ring of a size between the current two rings. It should fit on your current crank, unless it is one of the budget ones.

If you have a dropper post and the remote is on the right, move it over to the left and even up the bar furniture. That will give both hands an equal amount of work to do.
  • Yea, I was going to convert to 1x11 and have already bought the narrow/wide chainring I was just wonder if I needed to buy a new mech, derailed or hub etc. Cheers for the reply
    Definitely the chain as well because the chain needs to be narrower to run on the more closely spaced gears on the 11-speed cassette. The 11-speed chain will run on the 9-speed gear on the front.

But why not convert to 1x11 instead of 2x11? You will be able to ditch the front mech and left shifter and all that cable.
    Your new mech will almost certainly be a clutch mech and to take maximum advantage of that you should go for the narrow/wide front ring. Therefore get rid of one of the front rings, preferably both, and buy a narrow/wide ring of a size between the current two rings. It should fit on your current crank, unless it is one of the budget ones.

If you have a dropper post and the remote is on the right, move it over to the left and even up the bar furniture. That will give both hands an equal amount of work to do.
  • Uber_Pod
    Uber_Pod Posts: 110
    You can always do 1x9 first - just remove the front mech and shifter and add your chainring.
    If you then want the two extra low gears, add the rear cassette, mech, shifter and chain for 1x11.