Skate shoes for flats

marcarm
marcarm Posts: 134
edited October 2019 in MTB buying advice
I used to ride SPD, and currently have a pair of Specialized Tahoe shoes that I have added bolts with no cleats because I am now running flat pedals.

The grip is not bad, but not great.

I am looking at some proper shoes for flats, with Five Ten recommended but at about £100 that's a bit more than I wanted to pay.

I then thought of skate shoes, they have a flat grippy sole and are certainly a lot cheaper, especially from places like Sports Direct.

Is this a stupid idea and should I save for some proper flat shoes?

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Take a look at Shimano AM7
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-am7-am7 ... spd-shoes/

They are almost but not quite as grippy as 510's. But I like that because i can shift my foot when I plant it wrongly. With 510's I have to lift my foot clean off the pedal and reposition it - which is not always possible!
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Skate shoes will grip but the soft, flexible soles are not ideal and will quickly get ripped to shreds.

What size feet are you? I have a pair of Shimano AM41 for sale. Size 8.5. My son wore them about 5 times and then had a growth spurt. PM me if you are interested.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    If you do want skate shoes avoid Sports direct and go to http://www.rollersnakes.co.uk
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Me-109 wrote:
    If you do want something that works avoid Sports direct
    FTFY
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Me-109 wrote:
    If you do want skate shoes avoid Sports direct and go to http://www.rollersnakes.co.uk
    I wore Etnies BMX trainers for years before I started riding SPD. They are plenty stiff and I actually prefer them over 5-10s as they aren't as heavy/bulky and don't take a week to dry after use.
  • I used to wear trail type walking trainers - quite grippy and hard wearing but I did slip off the pedals, particularly in the wet.

I finally jumped on the 5.10 bandwagon and they do a very good job. The lighter canvas ones are rubbish in the wet as they absorb so much water, so I also got some `waterproof` winter ones and they are really good. Also Primaloft lined so much warmer in cold/wet weather.

Mine were £55 (half price) from Sport Pursuit as I'm not keen on paying full price.

Personally, I think they are worth the money but it's all personal choice and budget.

PS - if you have Tesco Clubcard vouchers - go x3 with Evans and get them for nowt.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Adidas terrex trailcross I wear. Can be found for about 75 online.

I’ve also got the protect boots and a pair of five ten vxi impacts

One thing I’ve noticed why no one makes a goretex flat pedal shoe especially for the uk market.
  • I’ve got 5-10 freerider elements and I’m sure I didn’t pay £100 for them, just keep checking for online sales.
    The grip is amazing - but in wet weather they act like a sponge eventually and can take ages to dry out.
    I’ve heard the Adidas terrex trailcross cycling shoes are quicker drying out but slightly less grippy. £75 plus p&p online - planning to get some myself after christmas.

If you want to go cheap and sports direct I did run some Soviet flat shoes from there that looked like brown leather (but must have been fake leather) and they weren’t bad. Cost about £20. The soles did start to cut up after a while and they weren’t as stiff as proper cycle shoes - so on uplift days I found the soles of my feet used to get tired. I still use them sometimes if it’s biblical rain because they dry out much quicker than my 5-10’s.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Adidas own five ten and so the soles used on the trailcross use stealth rubber the same as used on five ten.

I’ve never had any issue no slipped feet, used on dmr vault pedals.
  • swod1 wrote:
    Adidas terrex trailcross I wear. Can be found for about 75 online.

I’ve also got the protect boots and a pair of five ten vxi impacts

One thing I’ve noticed why no one makes a goretex flat pedal shoe especially for the uk market.

In terms of a goretex shoe Id have though the chances of water coming in over the top of the shoe, either through submersion or water hitting your shins and running down would make them less effective and WL Gore don't licence their "magic" to a design that devalues their reputation; better to have a waterproof sock that keeps your feet dry even if the shoe takes a dunking.

I use aldi waterproof socks with a thin thermal liner in non goretex shoes and it keeps my feet dry and (relatively) toasty.