MTB rear mech Sram X7 10spd triple, long cage.

gedadz61
gedadz61 Posts: 30
edited December 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi Guys
can anyone recommend a replacement for the above mech. 10 spd cassettes 11/32, front chainring is 44/33/22. The long cage is to long to my mind , could it be replaced with a med cage ? maybe shimano ? I am not a MTB person so my knowledge in this area is limited , any advice would be appreciated, also what do all X numbers relate to, is it just progressive model change ?

Cheers

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Higher numbers = better.

If you want to use Shimano you'll need to replace the shifter as well.

The tech docs for whatever mech you look at will tell you the recommended range. Your capacity is 43, so needs to equal or exceed that.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    cooldad wrote:
    Higher numbers = better.
    Noting that in that context X0 is a higher number than X9 and thus better.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    What makes you think the cage is too long? What bike (model and year) is it on?
    If it is working ok there is no need to change it.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Hi guys,
    Firstly, thanks for all your replies, the bike in question belongs to my son. It is a DiamondBack Apex from 2010/11.
    The mech is trashed, bent good style along with the hanger.

My query with regard to cage length is for two reasons, firstly when the mech is in the vertical plane it looks/seems
    fairly close to the floor < 6" so no wonder it is bent ? surprised it has lasted this long, secondly given that the
    cassette is only is only 11/32 I would have expected to get away with a medium cage length.Just a thought, maybe
    I am wrong with this ?

Numbers now make sense.

Again thanks for all your replies.
  • Historically I thought that a 3x needed a long cage almost by default. I could be wrong. My 3x was 11-36 and deffo needed a long cage.

Must be someone out there old/wiser who can offer an opinion.

Or you can use this funky calculator to work it out:

https://www.mountainbikesdirect.com.au/ ... ge-length/

According to that - you need a long.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Its not hard to calculate required capacity and check the relevant documentation and see what cage length that requires!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks everyone, the matter is now resolved, just fitted Sram X5 Medium Cage, all working well.