Gravel/adventure bike or put super fast XC tyres on hardtail?

bongofish
bongofish Posts: 123
edited December 2018 in MTB buying advice
So 4 weeks ago I bought the Vitus Sentier VR 2019 for £999. It’s a cracking bike with really good spec. But then at the weekend saw the tripple B was on offer for £1150. So bought that aswell. After getting the tripple B and it being full sus this will be my go to bullies for anything properly off roady.

So I’m stuck a bit. I want a bike that I can do fitness on that’s not slow and can keep up for general purpose riding, a bit of woods, a bit of gravel and a bit of tarmac. Was wanting to sell my 4 week old vitus and get the boardman 8.8 adventure bike. But even though I’m willing to sell the vitus for £650 (which is like bargain of the year as I’ve also put a brand new brand x dropper on it) no ones really been interested. So do I find some supper fast rolling MTB tyres with a little bit of grip on them and keep the vitus or do I push for sale and get the dropped bar adventure bike.

Any ideas? Also if keep the vitus what tyres does anyone recommend?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Keep the Vitus, swap on some lighter faster tyres, I'd also look at maybe dropping the front travel a bit and maybe flipping the stem and narrowing the bars a little to make it more like an XC bike.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Can you reccomend any super fast tyres?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I like a Schwalbe Rocket Ron up front and a Racing Ralph out back for faster drier use.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.