Mini pump

arix36
arix36 Posts: 67
edited December 2018 in Road general
Looking for some advice regarding quality mini pumps after weeks of searching I am still no closer to finding one. So i thought I'd ask the people who actually use them

Comments

• Specialized Airtool mini is quite good for an emergency, but it'll take a bit of time to achieve anything worthwhile with any mini pump. Carry a CO2 inflator as well.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Topeak Pocket Rocket. Fits in jersey back pocket, good value, solid metal construction, will inflate road tyre to 80-90 psi with not too much effort to get you home if you suffer a puncture.
  • sam_anon
    sam_anon Posts: 153
    I have one of these I'd certainly recommend, it turns into a mini track pump type thing.

https://www.evanscycles.com/topeak-mini ... p-00104719
  • big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    Lezyne can get to 100 psi without needing the arms of an Olympic weightlifter. Fits neatly on the frame or in a jersey pocket. It comes with the screw on hose which potentially can be an issue with Continental valves (ie. they can unscrew when you unscrew the hose), however avoid those and it's a fabulous bit of kit.

EDIT: here's the little fella. A bit pricy but you're worth it! :D

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-road-drive-pump/

EDIT 2: Road only (Presta valve).
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Big Harv wrote:
    Lezyne can get to 100 psi without needing the arms of an Olympic weightlifter. Fits neatly on the frame or in a jersey pocket. It comes with the screw on hose which potentially can be an issue with Continental valves (ie. they can unscrew when you unscrew the hose), however avoid those and it's a fabulous bit of kit.

EDIT: here's the little fella. A bit pricy but you're worth it! :D

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-road-drive-pump/

EDIT 2: Road only (Presta valve).

Ive got one of those, its great, but not convinced it will get to 100 psi, as I think only got at best only half that in when I had a puncture and replaced the tube, which seemed and felt enough at the time without a pressure gauge handy to check fully, but then further on my way home hit a road bump harder than I expected and the tyre totally collapsed under the load so clearly wasnt enough air in it,but it got me home which was enough and its a pretty handy size
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    I've tried a few and never yet found one that will get up to a decent pressure - I might be weaker than average but I don't think so.... On that basis, my view is that the only way to go is CO2. That said, the Evans 'mini track pump' thing looked interesting at the first glance but, thinking about it more, I doubt it would survive very long with my ham fisted (and ham footed) approach to these things. There is an expression used in the Army about a thing bering 'squaddie proof' and I doubt it makes the grade.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    I use the micro-rocket as it fits into a seat pack. Yes it takes a while to pump on the odd occasion I have to use it but for the remainder of the time it is light, out of the way, and always on the bike.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Top peak Ninja P on the plastic bike (mounts in the seatpost)
    Some random one with a bottle cage clip I cant even remember where from on the commuter
  • I have a Lezyne Road Drive and I can verify that it can get to very close to 100 psi. It takes me about 100 pumps on 23mm tyres, the first 80 I can do before my arms get tired, then I have to rest and put another 10 in, then another 5 and another 5.

My first mini pump came free with a set of mountain bike mudguards from Decathlon and that works surprisingly well. I later bought another branded pump which was rubbish and was replaced with the Lezyne. The disadvantage of the Lezyne is that it is a bit longer than most and so I have it attached to the bottle mount.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    The cheapest of the Lezyne Road Drives on the summer bike. Gets my 25mm tyres up to their usual 70-80 psi pretty quickly. On the winter bike I have a slightly bigger Topeak Road Morph which is even faster / easier since it's like a mini track pump and you can put all your weight through it. Handy in the winter so you're not getting too cold at the side of the road.

(The Road Morph is so competent, and it includes a gauge, that I didn't bother with a track pump for my first 2 years with a road bike)
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Most decent mini pumps can get close to 100psi now - I use an oldish Lezyne - can't remember the model but it's a small one and it can certainly get close enough to my standard psi to continue a ride without any worrying it's a compromise. That said it is hard work getting the last 15 or so psi in.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • arix36
    Wow thanks for all the replies guys. So basically I can't go far wrong with any of the lezyne or topeak high pressure pumps seems to be the general consensus. I will also be carrying a co2 inflator in a saddle pack
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    I think any moderately expensive pump will work nowadays.

I can specifically report that my Tru-flo and unich will go to 100psi without too much fuss, and last week I had to pump up massive tyres on 29er mtb's twice with the tiny Tru-flo. It must have looked a bit comical with my right arm whizzing up and down , but it inflated them fairly quickly , to my amazement.

s-l640.jpg this is cheap for such an effective pump, and it is tiny.

mp-shp2_1.jpg
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • froze
    froze Posts: 203
    You have to be real careful about the mini pump you select because MOST mini pumps can't even get up to 80 psi not alone 100, and NONE will get their advertised limits which are often at 160 psi; and most of those pumps that can get to 100 will take a huge number of strokes to manage it.

I've tried a lot of mini's over the years, sent most of them back because they failed miserably. The best one I found to date was the Lezyne Road Drive large, note I said large that's because the Road Drive comes in 3 sizes, anything less than the large and you will have quite fight on your hands especially the small one. I did a review of this pump here: https://www.roadbikereview.com/product/ ... -mini.html Since I wrote that review Lezyne has dropped the price on that pump, so now it's the absolute best deal going for a mini.

I also own the Topeak Road Morph G, which technically it's not a mini, it's more of a half frame pump, I also did a review of it here: https://www.roadbikereview.com/product/ ... -mini.html I no longer really like that pump due to one major issue-the mounting system SUCKS! I cannot keep the pump from moving around on the frame while riding, it doesn't have a side mount for a bottle cage system so it straps onto whatever tube you have an opening for and the straps simply cannot hold the frame locked in place like a cage mount system. This pump was my main pump on my touring bike, but I have instead gone with a full frame pump made by Zefal HPX which works outstanding even better than the Topeak Road Morph, and it doesn't move around when I ride.

And I own a Topeak Race Rocket HP, it's the second best mini pump besides the Lezyne. It's made really well but it takes about 50 more strokes to get to 100 psi than the Lezyne.

I also own a SKS Wese Carbon Raceday, while this is the least effective pump of all the ones I own it is also the lightest pump that I own, but I rarely use it now because I use the Lezyne mostly.

I also have a Lezyne Alloy Drive, but that pump is for MTB's not road bikes, it is quite sturdy however and works quite well for its intended use but just don't expect it to get to 100 psi because it's not that kind of pump.

Now there maybe 2 or 3 maybe 4 mini's that I don't own that could reach 100 to 110 psi, but like I said before most won't and the few that do take a lot of work. Don't believe manufactures videos either, I saw a video where a manufacturer took their really tiny pump and connected to a tire that already had full PSI, so he sticks it on the valve, strokes it about 10 times and calls it good, I messaged the guy and asked him to repeat that test with a completely flat tire and video it for the world to see, I never got a response.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    On longer rides I use a Lezyne Standpumpe Micro Floor Drive https://www.lezyne.com/product-hpumps-h ... BDN7ExFy70 its not really a mini pump, half a size larger, but it does fit to your frame, or in a small bag/pannier. It won't fit in your jersey pocket. It will easily get to well over 100 psi, without the arms of a body builder. Seems very well made too.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    froze wrote:
    I also own the Topeak Road Morph G, which technically it's not a mini, it's more of a half frame pump, I also did a review of it here: https://www.roadbikereview.com/product/ ... -mini.html I no longer really like that pump due to one major issue-the mounting system SUCKS! I cannot keep the pump from moving around on the frame while riding, it doesn't have a side mount for a bottle cage system so it straps onto whatever tube you have an opening for and the straps simply cannot hold the frame locked in place like a cage mount system. This pump was my main pump on my touring bike, but I have instead gone with a full frame pump made by Zefal HPX which works outstanding even better than the Topeak Road Morph, and it doesn't move around when I ride..

My Road Morph is attached to the seat tube so the bottom of the pump sits on the downtube. I find the bracket and velcro strap keep it very securely attached. No noise and no movement.

Only downside is it takes the place of a bottle cage, but on a winter bike it's not so much of a problem. Frame pump would obviously solve that...
  • Mini Rocket Carbon in the bottle storage, hate things in my jersey pockets. 55g, small and 200 strokes apparently gets you 60psi, I am happy with circa 80psi to get me home after a puncture so I don't want or need a bigger or heavier pump for the odd puncture. Gas is great for speed but 2 cannisters and adapter means more weight and increased costs.
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Flanners1 wrote:
    Gas is great for speed but 2 cannisters and adapter means more weight ..
    :roll:
  • De Sisti wrote:
    Flanners1 wrote:
    Gas is great for speed but 2 cannisters and adapter means more weight ..
    :roll:

:D oh and less room in my storage bottle.

WIth CO2 you need to consider a pump in any case as the risk of a balls up/multiple punctures is always present; so a pump seems to always accompany those riders who use gas :roll:
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • arix36
    Thanks for all the help guys I've decided upon a lezyne pump I've got a few of there products and very happy with them. Now just to work out which one !!!
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    I have this one, very pleased with it, I cant be trusted with Co2
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-pressur ... gL4m_D_BwE
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    cld531c wrote:
    I have this one, very pleased with it, I cant be trusted with Co2
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-pressur ... gL4m_D_BwE
    I have one of these but as someone mentioned on the first page it tends to unscrew your valve core when you take it off. Which is a real ball ache when you’ve just spent 5 minutes pumping up your tyre.
    Just gone round all my valves nipping then up with the pliers this afternoon.
  • froze
    froze Posts: 203
    keef66 wrote:
    froze wrote:
    I also own the Topeak Road Morph G, which technically it's not a mini, it's more of a half frame pump, I also did a review of it here: https://www.roadbikereview.com/product/ ... -mini.html I no longer really like that pump due to one major issue-the mounting system SUCKS! I cannot keep the pump from moving around on the frame while riding, it doesn't have a side mount for a bottle cage system so it straps onto whatever tube you have an opening for and the straps simply cannot hold the frame locked in place like a cage mount system. This pump was my main pump on my touring bike, but I have instead gone with a full frame pump made by Zefal HPX which works outstanding even better than the Topeak Road Morph, and it doesn't move around when I ride..

My Road Morph is attached to the seat tube so the bottom of the pump sits on the downtube. I find the bracket and velcro strap keep it very securely attached. No noise and no movement.

Only downside is it takes the place of a bottle cage, but on a winter bike it's not so much of a problem. Frame pump would obviously solve that...

That won't do in my case because it was being used on a touring bike and when touring you have to carry as much water as you can, so to lose a water cage is completely unacceptable for touring, or even riding non touring and you're going 50 miles or more. That's why I went to the frame pump because it attaches to the top tube and doesn't prevent me from using any water bottles. I now use the Topeak Road Morph when I go camping with the grandkids, I just throw the pump in the trailer and it's there if I need to pump up a kids bike.