Clarks m3 brake bleed

CaptainDell
CaptainDell Posts: 4
edited September 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
I've recently had to swap my m446 brakes as they were constantly leaking at the caliper, so had zero braking power unless cooking the pads before a ride. Anyway.... Replaced them with clarks m3 brakes and so far soo good. Bedding in OK and front brake is great. Back brake seems a little.... Harder to pull or just not as good.

The clarks m3 is radial lever or flip flip

I need to shorten the hose, is this fairly standard process or be any different for an m3?

The bleed screw is on the side of the lever rather than the top... How would I check for air in the system? Watch a few for shimano with the top bleed screw and the funnel but can not see how that would work

Thanks in advance

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The bleed screw is on the side of the lever rather than the top...
    Rotate lever on bar until the bleed port points vertically.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    The bleed screw is on the side of the lever rather than the top...
    Rotate lever on bar until the bleed port points vertically.
    Thanks but it's on a horizontal if that makes sense. I'd need to get a vertical bar end to do that I think
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Easiest to forget little funnels, and just use the Epic method with two syringes, filling from the bottom.

https://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Easiest to forget little funnels, and just use the Epic method with two syringes, filling from the bottom.

Cheers. That sounds like it could work. Would this work for trying to push air out of the system too? Not thinking it needs a full bleed as brand new brakes. Not done it before so want to check before buying the kit.
  • I know this is an old thread...but I have the same questions. I've just fitted the Clarks M3 brake to the bike and need to shorten the hoses. I would prefer to have a suitable bleed kit on standby but I cant seem find out which kit is compatible. There is no M3 specific kit listed on the Clarks website, only one for the M2 and I'm a little unsure about that as the bleed screws for each brake appear to be different as they have different part numbers.
    I already have the Avid Pro bleed kit and also a kit for bleeding Tektro Auriga Pro brakes....will either of these be suitable? Obviously, I would give the Avid kit a deep clean with spirit to cleanse it from the DOT fluid, if so.
    I have contacted Clarks asking these questions but have had no reply. I suppose...what I actually need is two compatible bleed nipples...as I have everything else...the hard part is, which ones?
  • JohnP801 wrote:
    I know this is an old thread...but I have the same questions. I've just fitted the Clarks M3 brake to the bike and need to shorten the hoses. I would prefer to have a suitable bleed kit on standby but I cant seem find out which kit is compatible. There is no M3 specific kit listed on the Clarks website, only one for the M2 and I'm a little unsure about that as the bleed screws for each brake appear to be different as they have different part numbers.
    I already have the Avid Pro bleed kit and also a kit for bleeding Tektro Auriga Pro brakes....will either of these be suitable? Obviously, I would give the Avid kit a deep clean with spirit to cleanse it from the DOT fluid, if so.
    I have contacted Clarks asking these questions but have had no reply. I suppose...what I actually need is two compatible bleed nipples...as I have everything else...the hard part is, which ones?

John,

Does the response here on your other thread not help you?

viewtopic.php?f=10004&t=13107521

"I contacted epic brakes and ordered the updated bleeding attachment for clarks M3 brakes."

"Ride, crash, replace"
  • I couldn't find anything about an updated bleeding attachment for the Clarks M3 Brake anywhere on their website, in fact nothing about the M3 brake, whatsoever.....and I looked hard.
    I have messaged EBC and am waiting to see if they can help
  • JohnP801 wrote:
    I couldn't find anything about an updated bleeding attachment for the Clarks M3 Brake anywhere on their website, in fact nothing about the M3 brake, whatsoever.....and I looked hard.
    I have messaged EBC and am waiting to see if they can help

That was why the person that I quoted had contacted Epic :D
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • I'll welcome any productive answers
  • JohnP801 wrote:
    I'll welcome any productive answers

Is that aimed at me?
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • EBS suggested that their Universal Bleed Kit would have all the necessary fitments. No individual updated/compatible bleed attachment was available.
    I ended up buying the dedicated M2/M3 Kit from Total Bleed Solutions.....less than 9 quid and excellent customer support, (EBS were very helpful too)