Trainer Road & Linux ?

kingrollo
kingrollo Posts: 3,198
Will trainer road work on a linux laptop ?

I have a tacx flow 2240 turbo and a USB ANT+ Dongle.

Comments

• super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,143
    kingrollo wrote:
    Will trainer road work on a linux laptop ?

I have a tacx flow 2240 turbo and a USB ANT+ Dongle.

Not according to their website:
    https://support.trainerroad.com/hc/en-u ... uirements-

There are a lot of devices it can run on e.g. Android phone, iPhone/iPad, 10 year old Windows machine. It's application rather than browser based and they've never bothered to convert to Linux, but its not processor or graphics heavy so it will run on virtually anything. I've run it on an Android TV box and an ancient netbook just fine. Of course as there is an Android app I'm sure someone with the know how could port it or run it in a shell; but why would you bother when you probably already have a device you can use it with; or in the unlikely event you don't you can buy a £20 TV box to run it (which you'll be able to use your dongle with)
  • super_davo
    After I posted the first response I googled running Android apps on Linux and it sounds really easy. Install Anbox, and it will run Android apps as a virtual machine on your the Linux laptop. You'd then need to install the TrainerRoad APK or even better the Play Store APK and then install Trainer Road from there.

But still refer to my first answer re being more faff than running it on one of the X many devices that you'll already own that will run it natively!
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,422
    A lot of Windows based apps work well under WINE:

https://www.winehq.org/

Might be worth a shot. A couple of years since i had a Ubuntu (Linux) machine now but it was great back then.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• If you don't mind me asking, why do you want to run it on Linux?
  • kingrollo
    If you don't mind me asking, why do you want to run it on Linux?

Because I have a linux laptop. It runs unbuntu great - windows not so well. If it runs on linux I can save a lot of hassle installing win 10 on PC.
  • kingrollo

Because I have a linux laptop. It runs unbuntu great - windows not so well. If it runs on linux I can save a lot of hassle installing win 10 on PC.
  • Is there a reason you don't use your phone? Lemme guess...virtual power or something like that?
    kingrollo wrote:

• kingrollo
    Is there a reason you don't use your phone? Lemme guess...virtual power or something like that?
    kingrollo wrote:

I dont have a holder to clip it to my handlebars.
  • super_davo
    I've used one of these on my turbo bike for Zwift, which the only device I have to run it comfortably is my phone.

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-a ... one+holder

I don't think I'd ever use it on the road, but for £3 it is functional enough for turbo use.