Hardtail frames suggestions 27.5

swod1
swod1 Posts: 1,639
edited December 2018 in MTB buying advice
So my old nukeproof mega tr frame has broke and for the mean time looking at rebuilding into a hardtail bike. I’ll get a new fs bike later.

I’m after a frame with 142x12mm through axle in 27.5 that can take around 140mm fork

Found a few but out of stock they were

Dartmoor hornet
Ragley mmbop
Octane One Prone 27.5"
NS Bikes Eccentric Alu EVO 27.5

Any I’ve missed?

Those I’ve listed are aluminium frames are steel worth a look at is the weight difference a lot?

Cheers

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Bird Zero.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • swod1
    JBA wrote:
    Bird Zero.

Interestingly you mentioned that I’ve looked at bird zero.

Not sure what to do they’ve only got medium frames in stock in am but large in trail.

Any difference as would my 140mm fork work on the trail, it’s a Rockshox revelation which I’ll upgrade to a pike or something later.

I’m about 510 but got a short inside leg 30inch. So does a medium frame sound better, broken bike has a short stem on it 50mm I think.

I see I can get a headset with it too, would they fit it before shipping?
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Phone Bird up and they will fit more or less what you want.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • JBA
    Bird are great to deal with. Give them a call and ask their advice.

I am 6’ tall but have relatively short arms and legs (30” inside leg). I have a Zero Mk1 frame in a Large and have fitted 140mm forks. It’s a great set up and the bike handles really well.
    The later Zero frames are longer than the Mk1 so a Medium may be ok for you, but as mentioned earlier give Bird a call and ask.

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • swod1
    robertpb wrote:
    Phone Bird up and they will fit more or less what you want.

I will, it’s not very clear on the website if a rear axle is included either.
  • swod1
    JBA wrote:
    Bird are great to deal with. Give them a call and ask their advice.

I am 6’ tall but have relatively short arms and legs (30” inside leg). I have a Zero Mk1 frame in a Large and have fitted 140mm forks. It’s a great set up and the bike handles really well.
    The later Zero frames are longer than the Mk1 so a Medium may be ok for you, but as mentioned earlier give Bird a call and ask.

That’s what I’m wondering my broken bike is medium and hardtail bikes I’ve had before have been medium 18inch about size.

Are the frames headset and bottom bracket already faced or doesn’t that need to be done?
  • JBA
    I bought my frame second hand with the headset already installed.
    I fitted my own bb and no facing was needed. It looked like it was like that from new judging by the paint.

• swod1
    JBA wrote:
    I bought my frame second hand with the headset already installed.
    I fitted my own bb and no facing was needed. It looked like it was like that from new judging by the paint.

great, not had chance to call bird yet.

I’m seeing what I can get used first wanna try save some cash as I’ll get getting another bike full suspension later on in new year.

How does your bike handle? I’m after a hardtail for xc and light trail use really to get fitness back on track.

Around here there’s canal and local bridleways etc to ride which you don’t need a full suspension bike for that.

Should be decent bike, I’ve got xt brakes and xtr 10speed gears to put on it.
  • JBA
    The bike handles really well. It can take a lot more abuse than I can give it.
    It is comfortable enough for the riding you describe but burly enough to handle serious off-road adventures.

There is a large Zero frame for sale on eBay at the moment HERE. Or the whole bike HERE.
    (Nothing to do with me. I just spotted it when browsing.)

• swod1
    JBA wrote:
    The bike handles really well. It can take a lot more abuse than I can give it.
    It is comfortable enough for the riding you describe but burly enough to handle serious off-road adventures.

There is a large Zero frame for sale on eBay at the moment HERE. Or the whole bike HERE.
    (Nothing to do with me. I just spotted it when browsing.)

I’ve seen that already, can’t decide though.

Was going to wait for a hornet frame but have read reviews and a lot say it’s a harsh ride.

Is the colour scheme rather bright too? Yellow and pink.
  • Stanton Switchback.
  • Have you got a rear hub you could convert to boost? If it’s Hope or Wolftooth / MRP make a conversion kit it would open up more options. Like an Orange Clockwork 137 (£300 new at the moment) or Crush.
  • swod1
    Joebristol wrote:
    Have you got a rear hub you could convert to boost? If it’s Hope or Wolftooth / MRP make a conversion kit it would open up more options. Like an Orange Clockwork 137 (£300 new at the moment) or Crush.

I didn’t know about these but well sort of did but heard alsorts about having to redish the rear wheel etc I thought I’d be out of my depth.

It’s only to get me back riding again until I get some cash together for another full suspension bike later in year.
  • Oh ok. I mean redishing is really easy as long as you have a straight wheel already. You start by going round the side you want to move the rim over to and tighten each spike by half a turn. Then you go to the other side of the wheel and loosen the spokes on that side half a turn. That’ll move the rim over a bit - keep repeating until the rim is where it needs to be in the middle of the frame.

If you’re not confident doing that I can’t see a bike shop charging you very much for a re-dish.

It also depends which kit you get as to whether you need to re-dish or not (whether they space just one side of the hub or both).
  • swod1
    Thanks sounds like too much trouble for the tended purpose this bike is going to be used for. the frame I've got is 142mm through axle so the wheels i have fit straight on. will be upgraded later on.

I am at some point going to look at buying a used wheel truing stand and learn how to fix wheels myself, only thing i don't do wheel truing and suspension service.
  • Just to say redishing is literally a 10 min job - it’s not loads of trouble and you could even do it whilst it was in the frame by eye. Just need a spoke key and nothing else.