edited December 2018 in The bottom bracket
'ning

ride, belgian brekkie twee, veg out
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,149
    'Ning

Weather same as yesterday and due to brighten up in a few minutes.
    Gutters are overflowing and need fixing, but don't have a big enough ladder.
    Might sack off today's ride.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,870
    Got a 5k race today, but doing it as a family so better wrap up as I won’t get too warm
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,501
    Morning Early Risers, just trying to plan a skiing holiday in France - I've heard it's a real riot over there. In between writing a few Christmas cards, which is tedious - think I'll go electronic only next year.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,346
    ...Pineapple (yellow)...SG...'Yellow vests'...'popping over to France'...

It all makes sense: SG is the brain of les Gilets Jaunes. He's been planning this for a long time. To what end I do not know. Probably trying to bring the price of certain posh perishables and vintage bubblies down.
    He was probably behind the great train robbery too. 95 year old genius. That's what he is.
    Where did Lord Lucan go SG?

Today will be mowstly ruing the weather, which looks more favourable but yesterday's roller session, trip to Weegie land the morra and toots obligations means another weekend cycle is impossible.

Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Morning Early Risers, just trying to plan a skiing holiday in France - I've heard it's a real riot over there. In between writing a few Christmas cards, which is tedious - think I'll go electronic only next year.

I don't do cards at all, much to the chagrin of Mrs B.
    Amazing how the number of cards received tails off (save for a couple of die hards) when people realise they don't get one in return.
    Bah humbug! to you all.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,550
    ride became rather soggy, but had an excellent mince pie at final cafe stop, best of the season so far

i have much sympathy with the gilets jaunes, for a country famous for high taxes and a social safety net, the reality in much of it is pretty grim, and neither press nor politicians seem much interested in doing anything about it

it's a long term problem, macron didn't create it, but he must be faulted for not understanding the situation many are in, think i shall nip over
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    T'noon, cracking ride out this morning, soaked but good none the less, now enjoying coffee and remnants of last night chinese in front of the burner of logs.

The whole gilets jaunes issue is unfortunately something Macron inherited, what with protesters from both the far right and left egging each other on and riling up teenagers to join in. and the appeasement process where by they protest, Macron gives them something in return (in this case not raising the tax) hasnt worked.

Personally I'd avoid for now, they are considering imposing a state of emergency. Champs Elysees is apparently a mess right now too.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Eating mince pies and doing my bit for the vignerons of champagne and points southwest.

Bought a Christmas tree, though it's not up yet.

Thinking of cleaning the sludge off my chain and cassette, but that's a mucky old job.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,320
    hopkinb wrote:
    Thinking of cleaning the sludge off my chain and cassette, but that's a mucky old job.
    I thought I’d do that, it was in a right old state as I’d given up on the nice clean lube I had been using and went back to wet lube. Horrible black sticky mess with bits of grit mixed in for good measure. Wound up removing chain and wheels to give everything a good clean. Back to dry lube and re-applying frequently.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Veronese68 wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:
    . Back to dry lube and re-applying frequently.

I tried this as summer went into autumn, I failed to reapply frequently, and a bit of drizzle left me with a squeaky drive train and horrible shifting. I've ridden all this week in the grot, and I've still got a good black sheen on the chain, keeping everything quiet and smooth. I replace it all in the spring anyway. Lazy. :D
  • Good evening
    Nice walk this morning ended at the village Xmas fayre. I bought some chill jam, mulled wine and a bunch of books for a quid. One of the books is poetry by Dylan Thomas which I think may be ideal to leave in the bog.
    Then cooked roast pork with sprouts. All eaten, washing up done and now settling down with a glass of something in front of the snooker. Will make tomorrow’s sarnies in a bit so tomorrow isn’t too bloody.
    Take it easy, everyone.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • pinno
    Yes, what is it with the wet lube?! What a friggin mess in no time.
    Does wiping the chain clean when using dry lube in winter work VN? I mean, for 30+ mile rides (not short jollys down t' pub or into work).
    I would happily go back to dry lube if it were the case.
  • I prefer to go in dry.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • pinno
    I prefer to go in dry.

The army did something to you.
  • Pinno wrote:
    I prefer to go in dry.

Made me the man I am Mr P.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • pinno
    Pinno wrote:
    I prefer to go in dry.

Obviously.
  • Pinno wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    I prefer to go in dry.

Obviously.
    Leave lube to the bootnecks. Oiled barrels give you away. Out of your ken, Pinno, I guess and my crap blurb. I do abase myself on another website, and there in lies my failing.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • pinno
    Pinno wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    I prefer to go in dry.

Obviously.
    Leave lube to the bootnecks. Oiled barrels give you away. Out of your ken, Pinno, I guess and my crap blurb. I do abase myself on another website, and there in lies my failing.

Failing is relative.
    What is this other 'website'? You don't have to give away your ID.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,320
    Pinno wrote:
    Does wiping the chain clean when using dry lube in winter work VN? I mean, for 30+ mile rides (not short jollys down t' pub or into work).
    I would happily go back to dry lube if it were the case.
    Not if it's raining. Work and back is only about 11 miles though and I think I'd rather have the hassle of having to re-lube once or twice a week.
  • Pinno, I admire your technique, are you sure you ain’t missed the government quizzing course?
    Ecrasez l’infame