Chain slipping on crankset

louman999
louman999 Posts: 90
edited December 2018 in Workshop
Been building up a new bike using some used parts (crankset, rear mech and a 100mile cassette). However when I installed the chain I’m getting this horrible slipping on the crank. LBS thought it was a worn crank but others I spoke to think the crank is still good. I’ll let you be the deciding factor on whether it’s worn or not.

https://ibb.co/KXsw06W

Comments

• SJH76
    SJH76 Posts: 191
    Look at your quick link (about 7 0'clock position in the pic). It's not fully closed, this will cause the chain to slip as it passes around the chsinset
  • SJH76 wrote:
    Look at your quick link. It's not fully closed, this will cause the chain to slip as it passed around the chsinset
    The quick link is almost fully closed but I can’t get it to close all the way.
  • SJH76
    Louman999 wrote:
    SJH76 wrote:
    Look at your quick link. It's not fully closed, this will cause the chain to slip as it passed around the chsinset

Then replace it. That is the most likely reason. To close it, you need to get it on the top of the loop between the cassette and the chainset and with your brakes on, push as hard as you can on the pedal, this should be enough to close it properly, if not, replace it as it's possibly bent
  • SJH76 wrote:
    Louman999 wrote:
    SJH76 wrote:

Then replace it. That is the most likely reason. To close it, you need to get it on the top of the loop between the cassette and the chainset and with your brakes on, push as hard as you can on the pedal, this should be enough to close it properly, if not, replace it as it's possibly bent
    I’ve just realised that it’s not a reusable quick link is that why it won’t close fully???
  • SJH76
    It should still close, but 11sp don't have any that are marketed as reusable. Some you can but the manufacturers don't recommend it. Alternatively you can use a 10sp kmc link on an 11 speed chain and it works just fine and is easy to open. I've used one for years no issue.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    Louman999 wrote:
    I’ve just realised that it’s not a reusable quick link is that why it won’t close fully???

KMC quick links (both 10 and 11) will close after use no problem.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Just found a 10 speed quick link and the bike seems to be working lovely. Thanks for saving me from buying a new crank
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    sounds like a quality bike shop youve got there, they either have no clue or were trying to rip you off for hundreds of pounds.

Either way you'd be a tit to trust them with anything in the future
  • Bumo_b
    Bumo_b Posts: 211
    Well spotted!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I know the size difference is in gnat's todger territory, but I'd still suggest fitting an 11 speed joining link.
  • SJH76
    keef66 wrote:
    I know the size difference is in gnat's todger territory, but I'd still suggest fitting an 11 speed joining link.

I understand your concern but I've used this way on my bikes for well over 2 years in all conditions and not one problem. They are easier to unclip - even with fingers alone. They don't cause any noise or clicking or any other issues. You could fit an 11 speed link and they either need a tool to remove or I've even had to break then with a chain tool to get them off. Why go through all that when a 10 speed link will and does the job just as well if not better?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Interesting stuff. I'm all 9 and 10 speed with reusable links, and no experience of anything 11 speed. And even then I use a removal tool at home to make it easier.

Must admit, a very tight, non-reusable joining link doesn't sound as appealing.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    keef66 wrote:
    Interesting stuff. I'm all 9 and 10 speed with reusable links, and no experience of anything 11 speed. And even then I use a removal tool at home to make it easier.

Must admit, a very tight, non-reusable joining link doesn't sound as appealing.

Might as well have kept with a pin in those circumstances and Shimano don't want you to reuse them so it amounts to the same thing. Apparently its just because its less daunting for the technically disabled