Smart trainer vibration shudder under load

wtwhite31
wtwhite31 Posts: 4
Is it normal for a brand new direct drive smart trainer to vibrate/shudder when riding hard against the unit's resistance?

This new H2 trainer has a 20lb flywheel and was supposed to be smooth - the reason I bought it. Used a brand new Shimano 105 7000 11 spd cassette, tried an existing Shimano 105 5800 11 spd cassette, tried both my older and a new Tarmac. Tried it with my 9 speed Stumpjumper MTB. All exhibit same issue. All are well maintained and shift correctly, ride fine outdoors. But when I spin it up under load in Zwift or Rouvy, going up an incline each of the bike frames resonate. Hard to describe but it is is more noticable on the pedal downstroke, like a shudder. The sound is like a low grind but the feeling of resonance is what is most annoying. I have contacted manufacturer and waiting on a response wanted to see if other wheel on trainer owners have experienced something like this?

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    What tyre are you using?
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    If you test it in non smart mode, does it do the same?
    If it doesn't, then I'd suggest it is the trainer is interacting with the software to mimic slope.... so a software/firmware issue.
  • whyamihere wrote:
    What tyre are you using?

I posted it as "wheel on" should have said direct drive. No tire (tyre) it uses cassette on the trainer. THanks
  • JGSI wrote:
    If you test it in non smart mode, does it do the same?
    If it doesn't, then I'd suggest it is the trainer is interacting with the software to mimic slope.... so a software/firmware issue.[/quote

Still vibrates but not as pronounced. It feels like the frequency is related to the links of the chain passing across the cogs teeth. Perhaps resistance unit is amplifying or exaggerating this.

I have yet to open one of these up to try and figure out how it generates resistance. Literature says it uses an "electro-mechanical" resistance unit. So that would indicate some type of clutch or shoe bearing against a wheel or shaft, controlled by circuitry and firmware.