OT: returning faulty mobile phone

memsley89
memsley89 Posts: 247
edited December 2018 in Commuting chat
Slightly off topic, but I know how much you guys like to fight for consumer rights :wink:

So, I recently purchased a Huawei P Smart from a certain high street mobile phone shop, and it is junk. The camera is useless, simply cannot take a photo that is in focus. Out of the box, terrible. So, it went back to the store, and they offered to exchange it. Great. Phone number 2 continued to have the same fault. So I went back to the store, except now they offered to repair it. Nothing else they could do, they said. So I waited 14days for the phone to come back 'repaired' and collected it. Still terrible. On screen you can actually watch the shot constantly drop in, and out of focus.

So it went back to the store today, and the store managed called the repair centre. They've stated as nothing could be found to be at fault with the phone, it was simply exchanged. So I've had 3 phones in a row with a truly terrible camera. The manager actually said to me today, "You get what you pay for." The very same manager that sold me this Huawei over the phone I went into branch to purchase because of THE QUALITY OF THE CAMERA.

I'm thinking SOGA. Any thoughts? I literally just want the phone I originally went in to purchase.

Comments

• You were sold something visual over the phone?

Man what a salesperson.
  • You were sold something visual over the phone?

Sold in branch. He pursuaded me to spend extra on the Huawei over the device I wanted, because the Huawei had the better camera (apparently)
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Soga.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    They are supposed to have great cameras (from the reviews i've read), so not sure why it's shit. I had the P10 and it had a far superior camera to the sony I have now 2 years later.

Maybe it's just the auto mode and you need to change the settings, although that's not ideal as most people just want a point and shoot.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Is not fit for purpose.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    3 phones in a row with bad cameras ?

It's not your eyesight is it ?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Not that helpful I know but my Note 4, now nearly 4 years old and consistently abused, has had a camera problem for the last year or so - going in and out of focus continually.

If it's happening with a new camera then it's duff, so get them to refund you in full, end of.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    bompington wrote:
    Not that helpful I know but my Note 4, now nearly 4 years old and consistently abused, has had a camera problem for the last year or so - going in and out of focus continually.

If it's happening with a new camera then it's duff, so get them to refund you in full, end of.

I have a 3+ year old Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+, and the camera on that thrown a focusing wobbly every time it starts up and most times I try and take a photo.

I agree 100% with your last sentence. Its duff and should receive a full refund.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    It’s now The Consumer Rights Act but yeah, that.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • I would try another camera app first (maybe the free version of Adobe lightroom) and make sure the phone is up-to-date.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    figbat wrote:
    It’s now The Consumer Rights Act but yeah, that.
    This, SOGA has been replaced, mention it and you look less well informed, although the wording in the CRA is pretty much identical, clearly not of a satisfactory quality.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.