Mavic Kysrium UST issues

mac678
mac678 Posts: 5
edited December 2018 in Road buying advice
Mavic Ksyirum Elite UST Review

I purchased a set of Ksyirum USTs in June following a shed load of research regarding the UST system. (The phrases bomb proof and never looked back featured in a lot of the reviews!)

The wheel set cost £425.99. from A-cycles the wheels arrived and I duly applied the provided sealant to both tyres.

The first week I went out for a long ride, during the ride I suffered a rear wheel puncture which dutifully sealed itself only using a few pounds, all good so far I thought

The following week I noticed the front wheel had lost alignment and was slightly buckled. I contacted Mavic warranty support, after four weeks of email wrangling with Mavic they agreed to repair the wheel with a new spoke.

Approximately one month later the repaired front wheel developed a leak at the rim/tyre interface which refused to seal. I purchased a new tyre £42 which initially seemed ok but then developed the same fault a week later. I contacted Mavic again, they gave very little assistance and suggested I had damaged the wheel, I examined the wheel and moved the tyre, the tyre leaked again from the same point. Frustrated and believing I had damaged the wheeI I gave in and purchased a new front wheel from Evans cycles £227

This wheel lasted a week before developing a similar leak at the rim, I purchased a second tyre £42 and managed approximately 200 miles before the same issue.

During all these actions I kept in regular contact with Mavic, their final solution was to use the Wheels with inner tubes and normal clinchers. Unfortunately this doesn’t work either which has cost two inner tubes @£8 to prove.

So far I have spent £744.99 on this system which admittedly has provided a bomb proof rear wheel and indeed I don’t need to look back. Unfortunately I cant say they same for the front.

Im not in any way over weight and have kept the wheels regularly maintained with the correct tyre pressures. I now have no faith in the UST system for road wheels and believe the higher pressure required mean that there is too much pressure at the tyre/rim interface causing it to fail.

Looking for anyone with similar issues?

Comments

• mac678 wrote:

So far I have spent £744.99 on this system which admittedly has provided a bomb proof rear wheel and indeed I don’t need to look back.

:lol::lol:

I feel your pain... sounds like a nightmare. Since you have already bypassed the retailer, I suggest you continue to harrass Mavic, until they agree to send you a new set of wheels.

For refunds, you should have probably followed the "retailer route"
    left the forum March 2023
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    I'm running the UST system on Open Pro rims, so far I've found it to be rock solid. So not the norm, in my experience at least. The general feedback on UST from the guys I ride with has all been good.

I'd try for a refund or complete exchange from Evans. Mavic customer service I've tried once and I'm not in a huge hurry to give it another go....
  • Seems a bit unlucky having two faulty front wheels. I bought a set of the Ksyrium Pro USTs in June. They went up first time and were faultless all summer. Bought another set for winter, the cheaper Elite USTs with the yellow hubs. Suffered one rear wheel partial deflation. Small puncture which sealed. I reinflated it and stuck some more sealant in a few days later all good. Running pressures 80 psi rear 70-75 front. Very positive experience so far from me on two sets.
    Persevere on your complaints to Mavic they should exchange your front(s) for new wheels.
  • zefs
    zefs Posts: 484
    mac678 wrote:
    Mavic Ksyirum Elite UST Review
    I now have no faith in the UST system for road wheels and believe the higher pressure required mean that there is too much pressure at the tyre/rim interface causing it to fail.

Looking for anyone with similar issues?

You mean less pressure? because standard rims allow about 120psi
    Here's the max psi values by Mavic for the wheels:

Max. Pressure tubeless: 25mm 7 bars - 100 PSI, 28mm 6 bars - 87 PSI. Max pressure tubetype: 25/28mm 7,7 bars - 110 PSI

I have the same wheels and never had any issues, almost 6000km in them.
    Having an alu wheel buckle without hitting something hard sounds a bit weird.
  • mac678 wrote:
    I now have no faith in the UST system for road wheels and believe the higher pressure required mean that there is too much pressure at the tyre/rim interface causing it to fail.

All that money Mavic spent on R&D and they could have just asked you
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I've just replied to your other duplicate post.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    First Op approach the retailer that how warranty works. Second it sound like something is amiss here. multiple tyres and muliple wheels.

How much pressure have you been using in these tyres. Someone needs to look at your front wheel. the problem maybe obvious or it may actually be a warranty. Either way you wont get far on a forum because none of us can inspect your wheel. So get in contact with the retailer and if no joy there then another mavic dealer. You will get more luck that way that contacting mavic themselves. Its like contacting shimano about a warranty direct. your meant to go through the retailler first.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • skeetam
    skeetam Posts: 178
    I have this exact pair of wheels which I bought in July 2017. Having ran tubeless with several other wheel sets, I found these to be really easy to mount new tyres and inflate with a track pump so your experience probably isn't the norm. I did have one issue with the freehub (rear wheel), which had some play in it after a few months but Mavic replaced under warranty.

I would suggest to going back to Mavic and getting them to resolve.
  • Thanks to all the positive contributions, I’ve no idea why I have had these problems and put this post up to find out if anyone else has had a similar experience.
    It seems that it may well be something I’m doing wrong!
    Meantime I’m still in conversation with Mavic and well continue to use these wheels.
  • Not sure if your doing anything wrong. You go realise the tyres won’t hold air without sealant. I’d have another go with fresh sealant evenly distributed. Make sure you don’t pump up above the max pressure 70 or 80 psi should be fine. If you still have an issue then your rim is probably faulty.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    This is the problem with trying to everything yourself. But many shops don't have a clue about tubeless tech either.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    This is the problem with trying to everything yourself. But many shops don't have a clue about tubeless tech either.
    Its not rocket science though is it........
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,624
    Reading this thread, whoever invented autocorrect should go to he'll.
  • Update. Mavic have agreed to to take both wheels back for repair. On return i'll refill with Orange seal as it seems to have the best reviews. Thanks once again for the help.