Shimano "Outer cap with short tongue"

voicycle
voicycle Posts: 95
edited December 2018 in Workshop
Perhaps this is already discussed in here and I've just not got the right search terms, but I can't find anything about it:

How crucial is the choice of shift cable outer end caps inside the hoods of shimano STI levers? Just fitted some new style Sora shifters to the touring bike and didn't pay attention to my choice of end caps, so I've stuck the standard 'tongueless' and ridgeless ferrules inside the brifter hoods despite the fact the dealer manual calls for using this part there. I'd go back and re-do it properly except I've now finished the job and indexed the derailleurs, etc.

My assumption is that the 'tongue' is just there to prevent dirt/water ingress, but I'm not sure what the ridge is meant to do. Do I need to drag my shift cables all the way back through the system to swap out outer end caps or will I be OK just leaving it until the next time I replace cables? Hopefully just means marginally shorter useful life of the cables rather than any significant impact on performance...

Edit:
p13 on this document is a reference I should have included.
Custom Albannach Torragar [BUILD IN PROGRESS]
2020 Ribble CGR SL
2019 Vitus Vitesse Evo CRS Disc

Comments

• i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    I think the ridge slots into a cut-out in the shifter body, presumably to make sure it's fully seated and stop it moving about. It shouldn't make too much difference if you use a plain end-cap as long as you made sure it was fully seated and secured the outer to the bars with some tape (or just wrapped the bar tape tightly enough) to prevent it moving about.
  • Great, thanks. Will leave it til the next cable swap then!
    Custom Albannach Torragar [BUILD IN PROGRESS]
    2020 Ribble CGR SL
    2019 Vitus Vitesse Evo CRS Disc