winter wheels

shiznit76
shiznit76 Posts: 640
edited December 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi, looking for a solid pair of wheels for winter/wet weather (I live in Scotland, we get that a lot !). I have a campag veloce 10speed groupset so that rules out any shimano hub ones, doesn't it? Thinking about campag Khasims, but can't find anywhere with them in stock, any other suggestions? Don't want to spend much, like I say, it's for winter bike that can take a bit of abuse and left in the shed

Cheers

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    doesn't matter on hubs if you get a Shimano splined Campag spaced cassette. Dirk has one from Miche and it was about £30 - saves hassle if you find wheel deal you want.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Never knew such a beast existed, will have a look for them
  • Campy Calima's can be picked up for a smidge over a £100 and look pretty good for the price.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Miche dont make a campag spaced shimano splined cassette. Miche say that any such bodge with there kit will not shift correctly.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Joe Totale wrote:
    Campy Calima's can be picked up for a smidge over a £100 and look pretty good for the price.

is there much deifference between then and khamsins? Weight looks the same
  • Matthewfalle
    Miche dont make a campag spaced shimano splined cassette. Miche say that any such bodge with there kit will not shift correctly.

its not a bodge and they do/did.

ambrosio do them as well.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/rsicycles. ... ampag.html

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • need 10 speed unfortunately, those ones ar 11 and can't find any 10 speed one elsewhere online
  • Matthewfalle
    let me have a look.

in the meantime, have some Dirk, the coolest bike in the world.

viewtopic.php?f=40119&t=13039500&hilit=dirk&start=320

best to start at the begining of the thread to get full flavour.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,497
    Fulcrum and Campag wheels are basically the same - so you'll find a Campag wheel and a fulcrum wheel at about the same price point - and both available with both hubs.

If you can't find a Khamsin, then check out the Fulcrum Racing 7's or even 5's.
  • Matthewfalle

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cycleclinic
    edited December 2018
    Miche dont make such a cassette I, can tell you that I as I deal direct with the factory nor does the factory recommend one is assmebled. Whoever did it (it is possible witht he sprockets and spacers ) ignored miche advice. As miche dont sell direct to the customer a distibutor or retailer would have had to do this sort of "bodge". That what Miche call it. Funny how people tell me I am wrong when this is my bread and butter. The shifting ramps are in the wrong place for campag I think. Miche have tried to make conversion cassettes work and they have not sucessfully, it would require new sprockets. Also the campag 11 speed cassette is slightly longer and therefore does not fit well on a shimano hub (the last cog barely fits ont he spline). Miche have no interest in making conversion cassettes, I have asked them. It does not matter if there is a market, they simply dont want to.

Ambrosio used to do them they still might but I have never been convinced about the shifting quality and always seem out of stock.

the calima wheel is quite different from the khamsin. The calima uses a 12mm steel axle and the khamsin a 17mm alloy axle. Therefore the bearing and the freehub body differ. FH-BU015(x1) for the calima and FH-BUU015(X1) for the Khamisin.
    The calima also uses conventional lacing with j bend spokes. Other than that the rims may have some differences but the wheels are very similar apart from the hubs.
  • Matthewfalle
    RSI cycles have them in stock as per the attached link and the shifting quality is fine. i'm sure loads of other people have them in stock.

ambrosio are quite a big company and seem to know what they are doing.

there was also a big debate on here a few months ago and everyone agreed that they work fine.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Miche dont make such a cassette I, can tell you that I as I deal direct with the factory nor does the factory recommend one is assmebled. Whoever did it (it is possible witht he sprockets and spacers ) ignored miche advice. As miche dont sell direct to the customer a distibutor or retailer would have had to do this sort of "bodge". That what Miche call it. Funny how people tell me I am wrong when this is my bread and butter. The shifting ramps are in the wrong place for campag I think. Miche have tried to make conversion cassettes work and they have not sucessfully, it would require new sprockets. Also the campag 11 speed cassette is slightly longer and therefore does not fit well on a shimano hub (the last cog barely fits ont he spline). Miche have no interest in making conversion cassettes, I have asked them. It does not matter if there is a market, they simply dont want to.

Ambrosio used to do them they still might but I have never been convinced about the shifting quality and always seem out of stock.

the calima wheel is quite different from the khamsin. The calima uses a 12mm steel axle and the khamsin a 17mm alloy axle. Therefore the bearing and the freehub body differ. FH-BU015(x1) for the calima and FH-BUU015(X1) for the Khamisin.
    The calima also uses conventional lasing and the khamsin the G3 triplet pattern. Other than that the rims may have some differences but the wheels are very similar apart from the hubs and lacing.

My recently purchased C17 Calima's have the G3 spoke pattern. Weight wise there is a matter of a few odd grams in weight between them and the Khamsin's; maybe a packet of crisps difference.

Lower end Campagnolo wheels seemed out of stock everywhere in the last few weeks when I was trying to get a pair, guess the crap weather is driving demand and possibly the new models have not arrived as yet?

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cam ... prod170199

Great set of winter wheels they are too, I like them and I don't 'feel' their weight when riding unlike a set of Miche Race I put on my winter bike to tide me over they were nigh on 2kg and felt truly awful to ride. Have always found Camapagnolo wheels bombproof, have had Neutron's, Fulcrum Racing 3's, Vento's, Khamsin's and Scirroco's over the years on my Winter bike.

I have 10 speed Campagnolo on my C40 and have used a JTek on the rear to allow me to use my Shimano/SRAM wheelsets on my Campagnolo gearing, it works a treat too for my set-up. http://www.jtekengineering.com/resource ... atibility/
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • cycleclinic
    Ambrosio don't make the cassettes. Rsi cycles own the Ambrosio trade mark in the u.k do they get the cassettes made under the Ambrosio name. I don't know who makes the cassettes. Many of the Ambrosio wheels sold by rsi are mode made by Ambrosio in Italy. Ambrosio in Italy make rims and wheels. Some of there wheels use miche hubs. No cassettes are on offer. Ambrosio bagded wheels here use Taiwanese made rims ( the rims are quite good) and novatec hubs. The Ambrosio you know if is not the company you think. That does not make Ambrosio trade mark products poor but it is a brand name applied to items made in Taiwan. Of course the Ambrosio rims everyone is familiar with are made in Italy by Ambrosio.

I have never liked conversion cassettes. They never seem to work right. Acceptable maybe and probably o.k for most just not for me.

I have corrected my comments about the calima. The difference between the calima and khamsin appears to be the hub
    I am not even sure if there rim differences. One difference might be a pinned Vs sleeve joined rim.
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    I rate Khamsins, the G3 pattern seems to work. For the money light and ride nice. I prefer them to my rear Zonda, that's stiffer not as comfortable. Ref cassette, stick with gen campagnolo, I had a Miche 10spd campa g splined, didn't get on with it. When I removed it the largest rear sprockets spline teeth had somehow deformed inwards as if they couldn't take the torque from the lockring.
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • cycleclinic
    Having used many miche cassettes on my own bikes I have never had a sprocket deform. If it happens its rare and I have yet to come across it.
  • Matthewfalle
    Anyone know what the OP went for in the end?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • hi, managed get a set of khamsins, thanks for help and advice