- @ddraver

Comments

• joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Oh no.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,609
    Bu66er.
  • The soundtrack to cycling when I first got into following it. Later on I might have joined in the piss-taking of his particular cliches, but I never forgot precisely why I was so familiar with them.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    :( Only 62
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    He was on twitter yesterday..!!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Terrible.

We must have a list of Sherwanisms.

Heads of state.

Suitcase of courage.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Bugger :cry:
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,550
    Gutted. He was a huge part of cycling for me. This is shit.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,876
    The voice of cycling for so many, and not just in the UK but in the English speaking world.
    RIP
  • just seen/heard this............saddened...........I've grown up hearing that man's voice commentary. RIP
  • Very sad news. RIP Paul.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Wow! So young. Alongside Phil L the voice of cycling when I first started watching it. RIP.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    So sad. That's no age at all.
  • RIP Paul
  • I've been working from home a lot recently and my background listening is YouTube videos of old TDF DVDs

I started in 1996 and am currently up to 2005, and Sherwen has featured heavily in all of them.

A big part of the reason many of us fell in love with cycling. His cliches may have made us chuckle more recently but he will be sadly missed
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Like a lot of people I say i grew up with Paul and Phil, then I realize he was only 7 years older than me! So young.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    inseine wrote:
    Like a lot of people I say i grew up with Paul and Phil, then I realize he was only 7 years older than me! So young.

ask not for whom the bell tolls and all that.

I remember when he was a bike racer back when he nearly won the best young riders jersey in the TdF. Later he had business dealings with Lance (gold mine) which rather blinded him and Phil to LAs failings.

Did he die in a mine cave-in or something? 62 seems very young for a cyclist.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    He seems to have been on Twitter very shortly before. Maybe a heart attack? Something out of the blue by the looks of it.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    inseine wrote:
    He seems to have been on Twitter very shortly before. Maybe a heart attack? Something out of the blue by the looks of it.

Twitter is enough to kill anyone from apoplexie
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Probs best not to speculate on cause of death till it’s announced.

A few rumours going around.
  • RIP Paul.

Agree with what people have said above. Sometimes it was easy to mock towards the end of your ITV run but that would never take away the contribution you have made to the sport and to its commentary.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    inseine wrote:
    Heart failure according to Phil Liggett
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    Terrible.

We must have a list of Sherwanisms.

Heads of state.

Suitcase of courage.

Legs to engine room - more power...
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • He was only 4yrs older than me, so I can remember him as a racer and as a commentator, and in both he was quality, he, together with Phil Ligget "stamped" the TDF into the mind of British Cycling fans in the early 90s..and from then on the race has become bigger and bigger.Yes the Sherwinisms, are up there with the Kirbyisms, but lets be honest..its been better for it!!
    Hopefully ITV etc will give him a fitting memorial, with some vintage TDF shown on ITV4 or something, big boots to fill, I did like Jonathan Edwards, but whoever they choose will be a new voice...NOT a replacement...RIP and condolences to his family..62 is NO age to be gone.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Saw him win the Archer Grand Prix in '77, from then on my teenage cycling hero. RIP
  • zanelad
    zanelad Posts: 269
    Sad news indeed. Paul and Phil were the voice of cycling for me. I was saddened when they no longer commentated for ITV4.

RIP Paul, and thank you.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Apparently he grew up in my home town, plenty of old timers on our local Facebook page knew him personally at school etc. RIP.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Another contributor to the old Channel 4 Tour de France show has died today. Pete Shelley, more famous for being in Buzzcocks, who wrote the classic theme music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLSUsw04O6M
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • I know this isn't the time to score cheap points, but is anyone else unsurprised that quizzical potato Carlton Kirby managed to get Sherwen's name wrong in his valedictory tweet?

https://twitter.com/carltonkirby/status/1069337012971466753