MTB FRAME SCRATCHES/CHIPS

Dannysgbb
Dannysgbb Posts: 15
edited December 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
I got a new bike about 3 and a half months ago and i have been doing a lot of mountain biking down trails since i got it. I've noticed about 3 chips on the frame and they are quite noticeable. Should i worry about this? Is there anything i can do?

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Unless your bike was painted in the UK, then it is unlikely that you will get a paint to match because importing paint is so expensive (it's the regulations). You have some options. You can ignore the chips, or you can touch them up. If you opt for the latter, then you could either go for the closest match you can find in Halfords touch up car paints, any hobby shop, or even nail varnish. You could opt for a clear coat, or simple varnish, whatever you've got really.

But the best thing to do is to prevent more chips. So get some bike tape, some call it helicopter tape, whatever. It's all the same stuff. It's like really thick and wide Sellotape, only not as sticky. It comes in different widths. The idea is to apply it to the area that needs protecting to stop any future chips or scratches. It works. Some people treat the entire bike, I just do the danger points, like the underside of the down tube and all over the chain stays. As one other post said, you can buy neoprene covers for your drive side chain stay. The covers are very effective, but they soak up mud and will need cleaning now and again to avoid them rubbing your pain off.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    If you can find the colour code the paint can be matched by bodyshop sprayers, even some Halfords can do this with 50,000 shades to choose from.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • steve_sordy
    robertpb wrote:
    If you can find the colour code the paint can be matched by bodyshop sprayers, even some Halfords can do this with 50,000 shades to choose from.

That is a good option if the bike needed a respray but I would expect it to be expensive as there will be a minimum quantity, and all for a few stone chips? Even if you pursue this route, you will get more stone chips unless you protect the surface with something resilient
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    robertpb wrote:

That is a good option if the bike needed a respray but I would expect it to be expensive as there will be a minimum quantity, and all for a few stone chips? Even if you pursue this route, you will get more stone chips unless you protect the surface with something resilient

It's not expensive I rent premises out to people who do this, I think Halfords start at about £11.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • steve_sordy
    robertpb wrote:

It's not expensive I rent premises out to people who do this, I think Halfords start at about £11.

That is really good to know! :)

Every day is a learning day.