Pidcock

joelsim
joelsim Posts: 7,552
edited December 2018 in Pro race
What’s happening with young Tom next year, is he riding for Wiggins again?

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    Joel! Where have you been?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • joelsim
    RichN95 wrote:
    Joel! Where have you been?

Twitter!
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    Is the Wiggins team continuing as an u23 team next year? I heard rumours he was set to sponsor a development team for women.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,605
    Latest twitter news says they are confirmed for a Team for ‘19 - details tbc.
    Wiggins has taken full control from previous management company now too.

Isn’t TP off to Sky?
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,343
    How would you rank these 4 when the dust has settled in many, many years. In terms of achievement in cycling obviously.

Pidcock
    MvdP
    Wout
    Remco

I think it will shake out as

1. Remco
    2. MvdP
    3. Wout
    4. Pidcock
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • joelsim
    M.R.M. wrote:
    How would you rank these 4 when the dust has settled in many, many years. In terms of achievement in cycling obviously.

Pidcock
    MvdP
    Wout
    Remco

1. Remco
    2. MvdP
    3. Wout
    4. Pidcock

That's taking a wild stab in the dark at this stage, TP and RE are still in Kindergarten.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Also at the last 2 super prestige races Pidcock has come 9th and 4th racing in the Elites which isn’t to shoddy for a 19 year old.
  • RichN95.
    M.R.M. wrote:

Pidcock
    MvdP
    Wout
    Remco

1. Remco
    2. MvdP
    3. Wout
    4. Pidcock
    Agreed
  • joelsim
    Well, after 4 weeks of bidding against 19 other managers, I managed to get Remco and Tom for my auction fantasy team. Didn't have enough money for MVDP and have also had to go w'out Van Aert. Remco was my first draft of two neo-pros, so not an auction, but picked up Pidcock for the minimum starting bid of 30 right at the last.

Joel (Joelsim) Race
    Contracts Team/Age Selection deadline
    2019 Riders selected

€1,120 AST/24 LOPEZ MORENO Miguel Angel
    €1,110 UAE/24 GAVIRIA RENDON Fernando
    €610 TBM/26 TEUNS Dylan
    €410 UAE/30 HENAO MONTOYA Sergio Luis
    €300 EFD/30 VAN GARDEREN Tejay
    €270 FDJ/22 GAUDU David
    €210 CCC/24 MARECZKO Jakub
    €210 BOH/31 KÖNIG Leopold
    €100 WVA/30 PLANCKAERT Baptiste
    €70 NIP/27 MOSER Moreno
    €60 RLY/27 MANNION Gavin
    €60 ICA/28 VAN ASBROECK Tom
    €50 VCC/26 PACHER Quentin
    €50 RNL/24 VAN SCHIP Jan-Willem
    €40 GAZ/23 NYCH Artem
    €30 WVA/24 NOMMELA Aksel
    €30 WIL/26 QUINTANA ROJAS Dayer Uberney
    €30 VCC/32 VAN GENECHTEN Jonas
    €30 AND/29 PELUCCHI Matteo
    €30 AGR/23 COSNEFROY Benoit
    €30 EUS/32 INTXAUSTI ELORRIAGA Beñat
    €30 SVB/22 WARLOP Jordi
    €30 LTS/22 WOUTERS Enzo
    €30 QST/18 EVENEPOEL Remco
    €30 NIP/20 OSORIO CARVAJAL Alejandro
    €30 WGN/19 PIDCOCK Thomas

€5,000 Total
    €0 Salary cap space
  • RichN95.
    Still riding the Lopez train hard then Joel.
  • I hope the Pidcocks maintain focus. They are pretty much the best actual Brits ( not Belgian, not Kenyan ) I’ve seen for ages.
  • You forgot Welsh.
  • joelsim
    RichN95 wrote:
    Still riding the Lopez train hard then Joel.

Signed him and Gaviria for 3 years at the beginning of last season. Also had Konig for 2 unfortunately and Cosnefroy as my 2 year neo (same as Remco who I have on a 2 year).
  • You forgot Welsh.

He counts. I’m a huge fan of G.
  • joelsim
    You seem to be missing the Yates.
  • Joelsim wrote:

Doper.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,343
    Joelsim wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:

Pidcock
    MvdP
    Wout
    Remco

1. Remco
    2. MvdP
    3. Wout
    4. Pidcock

That's taking a wild stab in the dark at this stage, TP and RE are still in Kindergarten.

That is entirely the point! :wink:

That is a nice team you have there. I especially like the value of Van Genechten and Mareczko. Don't like Sergio Henao though for the price. He is probably not even in the top 4 Columbians. :D
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Ericshun wrote:
    I hope the Pidcocks maintain focus. They are pretty much the best actual Brits ( not Belgian, not Kenyan ) I’ve seen for ages.

You said Pidcocks (plural) and 'they' - so presumably you are also referring to Tom's younger brother, who is only now moving up to 1st yr junior from 2nd yr youth A. You are obviously a keen follower of youth racing to have such an expert opinion...
  • joelsim
    M.R.M. wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:

Pidcock
    MvdP
    Wout
    Remco

1. Remco
    2. MvdP
    3. Wout
    4. Pidcock

That is entirely the point! :wink:

That is a nice team you have there. I especially like the value of Van Genechten and Mareczko. Don't like Sergio Henao though for the price. He is probably not even in the top 4 Columbians. :D

Henao has been signed as a leader this year, hence why I paid decent money for him. Should get a stab at a few stage races plus some stages in GTs and of course some one day races he could do well in. It’s tough though with 19 other managers all bidding, definitely overpaid on some, but got some value in the cheapies that were left after the big money had been spunked.
  • RichN95.
    Going off topic here (I think we've dealt with Pidcock - he'll be fine) prompted by Henao's move:

There's a lot of talk of salary caps to even things up. And it's interesting to transpose fantasy cycling on to it.

The salary cap is aimed at Sky. But if we take CQ Ranking as a guide to stardom - only one of their 2018 riders had ever been ranked in the top 50 prior to signing (vanity signing Kwaitkowski)

Meanwhile UAE have inherited Costa and Ulissi from Lampre and added Aru, D.Martin, Kristoff, Gaviria and Henao

(Joel is picking up fantasy riders for the long term, not investing in established stars. At least trying to)
  • Imposter wrote:
    Ericshun wrote:
    I hope the Pidcocks maintain focus. They are pretty much the best actual Brits ( not Belgian, not Kenyan ) I’ve seen for ages.

You said Pidcocks (plural) and 'they' - so presumably you are also referring to Tom's younger brother, who is only now moving up to 1st yr junior from 2nd yr youth A. You are obviously a keen follower of youth racing to have such an expert opinion...

Yes, they are both either proving themselves as promising, or showing themselves as having the ingredients to be there at at a later date.
  • imposter2.0
    Ericshun wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Ericshun wrote:

Yes, they are both either proving themselves as promising, or showing themselves as having the ingredients to be there at at a later date.

So when have you observed the younger brother in competition then?
  • joelsim
    RichN95 wrote:
    Going off topic here (I think we've dealt with Pidcock - he'll be fine) prompted by Henao's move:

There's a lot of talk of salary caps to even things up. And it's interesting to transpose fantasy cycling on to it.

The salary cap is aimed at Sky. But if we take CQ Ranking as a guide to stardom - only one of their 2018 riders had ever been ranked in the top 50 prior to signing (vanity signing Kwaitkowski)

Meanwhile UAE have inherited Costa and Ulissi from Lampre and added Aru, D.Martin, Kristoff, Gaviria and Henao

(Joel is picking up fantasy riders for the long term, not investing in established stars. At least trying to)

Not quite. Complicated.

One neo can be signed for two years, one for one year in a draft. After the draft is finished then the remaining neos are available in the main auction.

Bids start at 30, when you get to 210 you can choose to bid 420 and keep for two years, when you get to 1,000 you can choose to bid 3,000 and keep for 3 years. So it's a balance between overpaying and not letting someone you want go for a long period. Good fun, but different to the usual. Hence why I got stuck with Konig this year after taking a punt on him last year at a comparatively cheap price for a leader.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Ericshun wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

Doper.
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Ericshun wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

Doper.

Dope.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    RichN95 wrote:

They pick up expensive domestiques on big wedge.

Have to say, having followed NFL closely this year, there's a lot to be said for salary caps. I think, the practicalities of putting in place aside, it would work quite well.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    The salary cap could help halt Sky in a way that the smaller teams hasn’t and the whole power mètre, race radio, whatever won’t either. The real question is, have Sky really spoilt the racing? I found the Indurain era more predictable
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Imposter wrote:
    Ericshun wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Ericshun wrote:

So when have you observed the younger brother in competition then?

I have with both many times. Joe has serious talent, at Ilkley crit he was playing with Jonny Brownlee like a cat with a mouse - Obvs Brownlee isn't a "proper" crit racer but he is elite level fit and Joe rode away from him, it was even more impressive than Tom's win in Ilkley.

That being said, Joe will need to show some serious results next year in the junior ranks to continue to draw comparisons with Tom
  • imposter2.0
    I’ve seen Joe ride many times this season too. My question was really directed at ericshun, who is a serial bullshitter...
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    inseine wrote:
    The salary cap could help halt Sky in a way that the smaller teams hasn’t and the whole power mètre, race radio, whatever won’t either. The real question is, have Sky really spoilt the racing? I found the Indurain era more predictable
    Quickstep have won more races anyway.