Replace sit up and beg handlebars?

PinnerPeddler
PinnerPeddler Posts: 4
edited January 2019 in The workshop
Hi there. I’ve just bought a second-hand sit-up-and-beg style bike and I'm shocked at how much slower it is than the trusty hybrid I had stolen last week (both new and old are 21 speed), to the point I'm now sweating like I've been doing a spin class. Pedalling feels harder and I can’t seem to build and maintain momentum, and no amount of seat adjustment seems to help. So I’m wondering, would replacing the handlebars help, in order to achieve a more hybrid-like riding position, or would I be throwing good money after bad? Advice welcome!

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Is it the right size for you?
    Have you checked that the wheel bearings are rotating freely and the brakes not dragging?
    Is there a weight penalty with the new bike? Some sit up and beg town bikes are heavy old things.
    Can you get the saddle high enough so your leg is not quite straight at the bottom of the pedal stroke? Again, some of them look to have comically low seating
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    You'll probably be sitting up like a sail - that's bound to slow you down. Also tyres and pressure make a big difference.

I don't see that you can get a sit up bike to ride like a hybrid though. I'd sell it on and get a hybrid.

I'd do Keefs checks first though - spin each wheel separately - they should spin for a while and also do the tyre pressures.
  • keef66 wrote:
    Is it the right size for you?
    Have you checked that the wheel bearings are rotating freely and the brakes not dragging?
    Is there a weight penalty with the new bike? Some sit up and beg town bikes are heavy old things.
    Can you get the saddle high enough so your leg is not quite straight at the bottom of the pedal stroke? Again, some of them look to have comically low seating
    All good suggestions, thank you! It's possible the frame is slightly too large: it's 20" and I'm only 5'7", although the weird thing is that, if anything, the frame feels too small: my arms are still quite bent and I feel like I'm too 'on top' of the pedals and pushing down rather than forwards. And I think the seat is ok height-wise: legs are just short of full extension when pedalling. I will check the rotation and brakes later but I suspect they're fine: it was apparently serviced immediately before sale, although the seller could of course be telling porkies! Thanks again.
  • Fenix wrote:
    You'll probably be sitting up like a sail - that's bound to slow you down. Also tyres and pressure make a big difference.

I don't see that you can get a sit up bike to ride like a hybrid though. I'd sell it on and get a hybrid.

I'd do Keefs checks first though - spin each wheel separately - they should spin for a while and also do the tyre pressures.

I'll check the wheels and brakes but I'm pretty certain they're ok, as is the tyre pressure. I fear it's the sitting upright that's the problem and that I should just get a hybrid! Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.
  • bob7896
    bob7896 Posts: 18
    The other point to check is the tyres as these can make a massive difference to the rolling resistance.
    If your previous bike had slicks and the new ones have a tread pattern that could be enough.
    Also I think old tyres can have a high rolling resistance just due to the age.