Forum home Road cycling forum Workshop

Bottom bracket or wheel bearing?

shiznit76shiznit76 Posts: 640
edited December 2018 in Workshop
Hi, I have a creak coming from bottom bracket area, it happens when put the non drive side down with force. If I pedal with little power it is fine, or free wheel, but when put the power down it creaks, and only on non drive side. I have changed the BB and it is still happening. Someone has mentioned that it could be rear wheel bearing, but I wouldn't haver thought with the rest of the symptoms this could be the case, Can anyone on here advise?


Thanks
«1

Posts

  • fenixfenix Posts: 5,437
    I had a similar thing this year. I'd have sworn it was the bottom bracket. It was the rear wheel.

    Can you swap out the wheel to test maybe ?
  • unfortunately its a 10 speed campag set up and other wheel I have is for a shimano and don't know anyone else in are with campag.
    Were your bike symptoms the same?
  • Cleats, pedals or pedal spindles?
  • not cleats or pedals.
    How would I check the spindle?
  • Undo, inspect for dirt or dryness, apply a little copaslip, do up again
  • StillGoingStillGoing Posts: 5,207
    So many things can sound like its the BB making the noise. Spokes rubbing together where they cross, worn cable outer in the cable ferule etc.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Bumo_bBumo_b Posts: 211
    I had an odd sound I could not fathom and would of sworn it was the normal culprits. Turned out to be the rear deraillieur hanger had all sorts of dirt between the face. Once taken off, cleaned and greased lightly (do check if you are meant to grease the faces on your frame) it stopped. Would of never thought it could make the same noise as the bb!
  • MatthewfalleMatthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    doesn't matter if its shimano or campag - you won't be changing gear to ridr along in a straight line to see if the bearings squeak.

    once you have ascertained if its bearings or not then you can pop your wheel back in to check for the other stuff.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

    De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

    Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

    He's right you know.
  • doesn't matter if its shimano or campag - you won't be changing gear to ridr along in a straight line to see if the bearings squeak.

    once you have ascertained if its bearings or not then you can pop your wheel back in to check for the other stuff.

    Cool, will give that a go later. Sorry if seem dumb about not knowing that could try it on shimano wheel, still bit a novice to this all and so much to learn tech wise
  • MatthewfalleMatthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    shiznit76 wrote:
    doesn't matter if its shimano or campag - you won't be changing gear to ridr along in a straight line to see if the bearings squeak.

    once you have ascertained if its bearings or not then you can pop your wheel back in to check for the other stuff.

    Cool, will give that a go later. Sorry if seem dumb about not knowing that could try it on shimano wheel, still bit a novice to this all and so much to learn tech wise

    no worries dude - pleasure to help any time.

    anything you need just shout.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

    De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

    Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

    He's right you know.
  • webboowebboo Posts: 3,450
    I had a creak on the non drive side this morning, only when I got out of the saddle. Stopped checked for play in bottom bracket nothing. Later I got a front wheel puncture, changed the tube and refitted the wheel, set off and no creak.
  • Vino'sGhostVino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Webboo wrote:
    I had a creak on the non drive side this morning, only when I got out of the saddle. Stopped checked for play in bottom bracket nothing. Later I got a front wheel puncture, changed the tube and refitted the wheel, set off and no creak.

    HAHA I've been driven mad on occasion only to find out its the front skewer or a bit of dirt in there.
  • drlodgedrlodge Posts: 4,824
    Fenix wrote:
    I had a similar thing this year. I'd have sworn it was the bottom bracket. It was the rear wheel.

    Can you swap out the wheel to test maybe ?

    Same here, I was certain it was the bottom bracket area for some years, only to find its the freehub bearing on its way out. The creaking/clicking would go if I tightened up the rear wheel skewer which was I big hint that I missed.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • drlodge wrote:
    Fenix wrote:
    I had a similar thing this year. I'd have sworn it was the bottom bracket. It was the rear wheel.

    ]

    Same here, I was certain it was the bottom bracket area for some years, only to find its the freehub bearing on its way out. The creaking/clicking would go if I tightened up the rear wheel skewer which was I big hint that I missed.


    Ah, now this has happened when I tightened up the rear skewer before, which has me thinking it might be rear wheel. Is there any way to confirm this?
    Bizarre why only happens when putting down the power and on the non drive side only
  • photonic69photonic69 Posts: 1,135
    Is the creak there when seated on saddle AND when standing and pedaling?

    I've had saddle rails and seat posts causing creaks. Worth removing, cleaning and greasing as it costs nothing (provided you have some grease already)
  • drlodgedrlodge Posts: 4,824
    shiznit76 wrote:
    Ah, now this has happened when I tightened up the rear skewer before, which has me thinking it might be rear wheel. Is there any way to confirm this?
    Bizarre why only happens when putting down the power and on the non drive side only

    Could try a different rear wheel.

    Are you left handed/footed? My creak only happened when pressing with the right foot, I'm right handed but still can't understand.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • PhotoNic69 wrote:
    Is the creak there when seated on saddle AND when standing and pedaling?

    I've had saddle rails and seat posts causing creaks. Worth removing, cleaning and greasing as it costs nothing (provided you have some grease already)

    Nah, happens both standing and seated.

    Going try with another rear wheel to check, when it stops blowing a gale outside!
  • Other than swapping the wheel out is there any way to check if it is the wheel bearings that are the issue?
  • drlodgedrlodge Posts: 4,824
    shiznit76 wrote:
    Other than swapping the wheel out is there any way to check if it is the wheel bearings that are the issue?

    You can certainly inspect them by hand, feel how free they are. I know that before my freehub bearing went, it wasn't as free and smooth as I thought it should be. You need to rotate the wheel both on the axle and also the freehub around the axle. Odds are that if a bearing is on its way out, you'll be able to feel it.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • MatthewfalleMatthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    when spinning it when you hold it in your hand is there any play or grinding?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

    De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

    Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

    He's right you know.
  • photonic69photonic69 Posts: 1,135
    If you have a bike stand a good test is to remove the chain to allow the wheel to spin freely on its bearings (so freehub rotates with wheel) - place your ear hard against the nose of the saddle (yeah, I know it sounds weird but bear with me) and spin the wheel. If the bearing is on its way out then they are surprisingly noisy and this noise it transmitted through the frame and saddle to your ear. It's a bit like how a stethoscope works. I've used this technique for years on car engines using long handled screwdrivers or wooden doweling to hear bearings on water pumps and alternators etc

    While the chain is off you can spin the crank to listen to the bottom bracket too.
  • drlodge wrote:
    shiznit76 wrote:
    Ah, now this has happened when I tightened up the rear skewer before, which has me thinking it might be rear wheel. Is there any way to confirm this?
    Bizarre why only happens when putting down the power and on the non drive side only

    Could try a different rear wheel.

    Are you left handed/footed? My creak only happened when pressing with the right foot, I'm right handed but still can't understand.

    Could be this,
    Try riding left handed, this will clear it up.
  • when spinning it when you hold it in your hand is there any play or grinding?
    Best way to check the bearings isn't to spin the wheel.
    Spin the spindle instead with the wheel held still, this will show up any roughness much better due to the much lower moment of inertia. If you spin the wheel the greater moment of inertia will mask any roughness in the bearing.
  • dismantle the whole bike and dip in a caustic bath; Rinse then dry in an oven.
    Now dip the lot in grease and reassemble.
    Finally, chuck the lot in a skip.
  • giropaulgiropaul Posts: 414
    I’ve chased similar noises before, and in the end found it was actually the headset, typically the crown race moving slightly. Frames act like guitar bodies, noises move and get amplified.
  • Vino'sGhostVino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    drlodge wrote:
    shiznit76 wrote:
    Ah, now this has happened when I tightened up the rear skewer before, which has me thinking it might be rear wheel. Is there any way to confirm this?
    Bizarre why only happens when putting down the power and on the non drive side only

    Could try a different rear wheel.

    Are you left handed/footed? My creak only happened when pressing with the right foot, I'm right handed but still can't understand.

    Could be this,
    Try riding left handed, this will clear it up.
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Vino'sGhostVino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    dismantle the whole bike and dip in a caustic bath; Rinse then dry in an oven.
    Now dip the lot in grease and reassemble.
    Finally, chuck the lot in a skip.
    :lol::lol::lol:
  • I have this occasionally and it’s always the same rear skewer. Need a new one I think
  • Alex99Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    I had a very similar thing to this. For me, it turned out I was under tensioning the crank BB bolt (shimano HTII) before tightening the LHS crank onto the bottom bracket axle. There was a little bit of unwanted creaky movement there otherwise.
  • Put a new rear wheel on the bike and all is sweet, turns out the issue was the wheel bearing, i could have sworn it was bottom bracket. Cheers for all your advice folks
Sign In or Register to comment.