On/off howling brakes

steve_sordy
steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
edited November 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Just bought a bike rack for the tow bar; second trip out with the bike on it.

I had a first for this bike today. Took the bike off the rack and set off. Both brakes were howling, like a two-tone car horn! I've never had that problem before in over two years of riding this bike. After a bit of messing about, I discovered that if I pedalled slowly with the brakes on for a while, releasing the brakes every 5 secs or so, the brakes went quiet and I had no further trouble. Well, not until the brakes had cooled down and then it started all over again! :(

It was a damp and misty day, so my best guess is oily muck off the road has got onto the pads or discs, but why the on/off performance? Tomorrow I'll clean the discs and pads and see what happens when I try to bed them in. I'm expecting to have to buy new pads though if they stay the same.

Next time I carry the bike on the rack, I'm thinking of putting sandwich bags over the discs and calipers to stop it happening again, if road spray is the cause that is. :?:

Any ideas?

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Have the salt spreaders been out in your area, that loosens up all detritus that has ended up on the road surface.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Get one of these Steve:-

15400362_1027453320717816_7001096701483097284_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent.flhr2-2.fna&oh=f5ac2195844ebe7dcd4119810b0e3d58&oe=5CB239F7

not cheap:-
    https://velosock.com/collections/indoor-bike-covers

I had the same problem with my rear carrier.The aerodynamics of the car are such that all the crap is thrown up the tailgate...or on the bikes if they're there!
    Obviously they'd need to be modified to get the wheel straps through but there might be something similar on the market for that exact purpose.
    I just wrapped our bikes in two Poundland Tarps for our journey to the South of France.
  • steve_sordy
    Bugger! I thought it might be that. :cry:

No other ideas?
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    edited November 2018
    Bugger! I thought it might be that. :cry:
    No other ideas?
    Put the bike in the car.
  • steve_sordy
    I too prefer the security of a bike in the back of the car, so why did I go to the expense of a tow bar and a bike rack?

The main reason is that I have ordered an eBike! :shock: Even without the front wheel, it's still a heavy lump and I did not want to risk putting my back out loading that in the back of the car.
  • Nofx
    Nofx Posts: 14
    Rubbing some wet mud on the discs can stop em screaming. I did it to a mates Halfords bike. It was fresh out of the shop. We got up in the hills & it started screaming like a drunk female chav. The mud shut it up :D