Slight play in fork

dddcharlie
dddcharlie Posts: 8
edited December 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

Even with the top cap bolt secured down quite tightly and the stem bolts tight, the front fork still has a little bit of play in the headset. It is only when I really tight down the top cap until the fork does not show any play. But this tightness makes the headset really tight.

I just want to know if a little play in the fork is fine and safe to ride. Also, I just want to add that the crown race from the fork seems does not seem to have a perfect fit to the lower headset bearings. By not having a perfect fit I mean that there is a slight gap between the race and the side of the bearing, not that is slanted or not completely going in or anything.

Thanks all!

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    How are you determining that there is play in the fork? There's a few different options for what could actually be causing it, in order of most to least likely (IMO):

1. If you're feeling movement by holding on the front brake and rocking the bike, the pads can move slightly in the caliper - This is entirely normal.
    2. Play in the headset (I think this is what you're suspecting)
    3. Play in the fork stanchions
    4. Play in the wheel hub
  • Thanks for the reply!

I'm sure it is headset play and not the brake pads moving or the other suspected reasons because the play goes away when the top cap is really tight and the movement of the bars are limited.

Any suggestions for what I should do?
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    Sounds like you need a new headset.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If it’s cartridge bearing see if the cartridges are snug in the housings, I had one with a tiny amount of play, as yours needed a super tight top cap to stop it moving, just used some bearing lock to seat it and it’s been fine since.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    The Rookie wrote:
    If it’s cartridge bearing see if the cartridges are snug in the housings, I had one with a tiny amount of play, as yours needed a super tight top cap to stop it moving, just used some bearing lock to seat it and it’s been fine since.

Good tip Rookie, I'll file that one away in the memory. :)
  • Turn the forks at 90 degrees, and see if the play is still there. If it is, the headset is the issue, if not, it could just be something in the brakes / callipers. There should be a little spacer that sits in the top bearing of the headset, make sure it’s not knackered. Experimenting with various headset spacers and the position of the spacers relative to the stem can help, ie try putting one of the spacers on top of the stem ( if you haven’t already).
  • Had a simular problem. thanks for the info. cheers!