Remotely solving sticky freehub

larkim
larkim Posts: 2,474
edited November 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Son (200 miles away at Uni) reports his freehub is sticking, so the chain is rotating forwards when he's not pedalling but te bike is in motion.

Any remote "quick fixes" that I can suggest down the miracles of the interwebby stuff that someone with few tools could at least try?

I've never done anything on a freehub before, so not drawing upon vast reserves of personal experience either.

Cheers
2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Unless he can see something obviously caught twixt cassette and hub / spokes rendering it a fixed gear, all I can suggest is he keeps pedalling.

If it's gunked up / corroded internally it's going to involve removal and possibly replacement of the freehub which requires a few tools and knowhow. How many tools and how much knowledge entirely dependent on the hub. Some are Fisher-Price simple, others are annoyingly fiddly / counter-intuitive.

My cheap Shimano freehubs unscrew with a 10mm allen key, but first you need to remove the axle which involves cone spanners retrieving the loose bearings. Then I can pick out the seal from the back of the freehub to drizzle oil in there, but there's no further servicing possible unless you're really determined.

Most other hubs like Campag and Fulcrum you get access to the pawls and springs as you remove the freehub.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    If the chain is rotating forwards whilst not pedalling, then I assume he doesn't have his feet on the pedals! It sounds like the bike has become a fixie! :shock:

I can't disagree with what keef66 has posted, so unless there is some debris in there, then the whole hub sounds shot to me. Time for a visit to the LBS.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Cheers, much as I thought!

On a positive note, he's been at uni with his bike for 8 weeks and it's not been nicked ;)
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Nofx
    Nofx Posts: 14
    Maybe getting the wheel out & soaking the freewheel with gt85 ( spraying between the small cog & lock ring) . It's not ideal, but it's better than riding a fixie
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    GT85 dissolves grease. Don’t use it on your freehub unless you intend stripping it down and regreasing it afterwards.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009