New Front Light

charlie_potatoes
charlie_potatoes Posts: 1,921
edited December 2018 in Road buying advice
I've been using a Knog Blinder for a few years and it has done the job. It is now only holding charge for about 90 Mins (flashing mode) though so I'm looking for a new light.
I have only ever used it on flashing mode as I don't ride at night but I do want something that will survive 4 or 5 hours in the rain.
Any recommendations for something with USB charging?

Not really looking to re mortgage unless there is a compelling reason to do so.

TIA
"You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Just a light to be seen by then ?

Seesense Ace is fantastically bright. USB charging. Clips on and off. I think battery life is 8 hours or so.
  • I've been astonished by my Moon Mizar - for £11 from Merlin it belts out 100 lumens day flash for 30 hours. Solid light is 40 lumens for 4 hours. My only slight criticism is that the day flash is quite slow - 2 quick flashes with then about a 1-2 second pause. For the price you could run two, especially as they are tiny - 55m long x 30mm wide x 14mm deep. If this doesn't suit, there are other lights in their range for very little money.
  • Fenix wrote:
    Just a light to be seen by then ?

Seesense Ace is fantastically bright. USB charging. Clips on and off. I think battery life is 8 hours or so.

Yes Fenix. Just to be seen.
    Thanks
    I'll take a look.
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    I've been using a Lezyne Zecto for a few months now on my daily commute, and i've been very impressed with it.
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Exposure Trace ticks the boxes - I've used one for years with no issues....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,188
    Horizon wrote:
    I've been astonished by my Moon Mizar - for £11 from Merlin it belts out 100 lumens day flash for 30 hours. Solid light is 40 lumens for 4 hours. My only slight criticism is that the day flash is quite slow - 2 quick flashes with then about a 1-2 second pause. For the price you could run two, especially as they are tiny - 55m long x 30mm wide x 14mm deep. If this doesn't suit, there are other lights in their range for very little money.
    Parkers of Bolton doing Mizar front plus Alcor rear set for £17.05. I need some new aux day flash lighting having broken my old faithful, looks a good deal.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Raveman PR900, has a been seen mode plus a couple of see modes and a full beam option!
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    KentPhil wrote:
    I've been using a Lezyne Zecto for a few months now on my daily commute, and i've been very impressed with it.

Can recommend these - front and rear. Good battery, plenty of modes and a robust product. Have recently moved to a Knog Blinder up front but only because the Zecto doesn't work well with flat-top aero bars. Still use the rear one though.
  • Thanks all
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,188
    orraloon wrote:
    Horizon wrote:
    I've been astonished by my Moon Mizar - for £11 from Merlin it belts out 100 lumens day flash for 30 hours. Solid light is 40 lumens for 4 hours. My only slight criticism is that the day flash is quite slow - 2 quick flashes with then about a 1-2 second pause. For the price you could run two, especially as they are tiny - 55m long x 30mm wide x 14mm deep. If this doesn't suit, there are other lights in their range for very little money.
    Parkers of Bolton doing Mizar front plus Alcor rear set for £17.05. I need some new aux day flash lighting having broken my old faithful, looks a good deal.
    Got these now, they seem pretty good for the money, for a day flash. And a v easy mount, twist click magnetic.
  • just bought a fabric Lumaray - fits on the Garmin mount, then your Garmin goes on top. USB charging, bright on flash mode, last ages. And very stable wit the Garmin on top. Well recommended
  • froze
    froze Posts: 213
    There are several light comparison sites where they do a beam comparison.

https://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/21 ... how-choose

https://www.tredz.co.uk/lights-comparison-test

https://www.bikelightdatabase.com/beams ... 5D=blaze2w

https://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/21 ... oose#beams

https://www.modernbike.com/bicycle-ligh ... ison-guide

While everyone uses different night scenes, those sites still give you a decent idea as to how bright one light compares to another within the same site.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    I think in the value for money front, you'll be hard pushed to top this:

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-l ... bike-light

I've got the 1000, this is basically a single bulb version of that with half the cells (and weight). Plus points are:
    - it's bright enough to be used as a "see by" light when you need it to
    - it comes with a pretty robust Garmin / light mount that you can also use for a Go Pro when you're not using the light, so doesn't clutter up your bars, and nice having the light central
    - its got a usb Powerbank function which will come very handy if you've got one of the new breeds of Garmin with dismal battery life
    - its only £25 (or £22.50 if you've got BC).

I can see you've been given got a mix of recommendations for "be seen" lights e.g. Moon, Lezyne, See Sense and "see by" lights like the Raveman and Exposure. Personally I would always prefer a "See by" light for the front, on the basis that all such lights also have "be seen" modes with long battery life for when you don't need to use it to see; but even if you don't think you'll need it, you'll be very, very glad you can for the once in a blue moon when you do. Though if this is too bulky, then a Lezyne Hecto Drive 400 gives almost as much light, for a similar price, though without the fancy mount and powerbank stuff.
  • Moon Comet to be seen, Exposure Joystick to see where you're going. Both very light, long lasting, and the work of less than a minute to get them off.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    just bought a fabric Lumaray - fits on the Garmin mount, then your Garmin goes on top. USB charging, bright on flash mode, last ages. And very stable wit the Garmin on top. Well recommended

yep, very well thought out product. when on low power the thing lasts a fair while.