US man killed by endangered tribe in india

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,630
    Well I have found at least one academic book entitled "THE INVENTION OF RACISM IN CLASSICAL ANTIQUITY" by Benjamin Isaac, published by Princeton University Press.

RC, do you have any recommendations for the contrary argument?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    So where did all the Neanderthals go?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,590
    rjsterry wrote:
    Well I have found at least one academic book entitled "THE INVENTION OF RACISM IN CLASSICAL ANTIQUITY" by Benjamin Isaac, published by Princeton University Press.

Well he’s one of the editors of the book I suggested, so that.

More to a book than its title.
  • rick_chasey
    It is of course my own fault for bringing it up on the internet, but I love it how people do 5 minutes googling and go “right person who has spent years studying this. I’ve googled 5 things so you must be wrong”

You see it all the time with historians and other humanities guys.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:

Well he’s one of the editors of the book I suggested, so that.

More to a book than its title.

Sorry, missed that post. Will scroll back and take a look.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    bompington wrote:
    Said’s Orientalism is the absolute game changer - first two chapters particularly and Spivak’s can the Sabaltern speak? Is the other.

The origins of racism in the West tries to establish if indeed racial ideas existed before the 18th Century, and the conclusion broadly is they start to surface but in the second half of the 18th, before becoming the full blown racism as we know it by the middle of the 19th. There’s a lot for the centuries before but it’s all just a precursor really.

It looks at the ancient stuff too, an entire volume for Ancient Greece for example.

However, racism and “racial” ideas are fundamentally modern.

^^ I’m working on the assumption you don’t get colonialism as I’m referring to without racism of course.
    And of course none of this would be in any way connected to people working backwards to try and prove a firmly held conviction that white Europeans are uniquely evil and racist - in fact, that racism by definition is something that only white people do?
    Would it?

Obviously not. Why where have I said that?
  • rjsterry
    It is of course my own fault for bringing it up on the internet, but I love it how people do 5 minutes googling and go “right person who has spent years studying this. I’ve googled 5 things so you must be wrong”

Imagine how much fun I have with people who have watched a couple of episodes of Grand Designs. ;) It's an interesting idea - that there is something fundamentally different about the ideas and justifications used to back up European imperialism. But there is a reason "plus ca change" is an expression.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rjsterry wrote:

Imagine how much fun I have with people who have watched a couple of episodes of Grand Designs. ;) It's an interesting idea - that there is something fundamentally different about the ideas and justifications used to back up European imperialism. But there is a reason "plus ca change" is an expression.

Yes, though I have argued, others have too, that the European expedience of colonialism, with all the associated racial segregation and race based violence, ultimately became an incubator for what became Europe’s WW2 and the holocaust.

If you learn to be genocidal to your advantage at the expense of “inferior races” why would you limit that to continents beyond European shores?
  • rjsterry
    edited November 2018
    rjsterry wrote:

Yes, though I have argued, others have too, that the European expedience of colonialism, with all the associated racial segregation and race based violence, ultimately became an incubator for what became Europe’s WW2 and the holocaust.

If you learn to be genocidal to your advantage at the expense of “inferior races” why would you limit that to continents beyond European shores?

Undoubtedly we learned to be more efficient and effective murderous bastards.

I think perhaps the influence of the ancient world is too readily dismissed. A majority of the important public buildings in Europe built during the peak of imperialism directly imitate ancient Rome and Greece. As did 20th century fascism, and others.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    Anyone still in any doubt as to why this tribe would wish to remain isolated?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    PBlakeney wrote:

haha, great post.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    PBlakeney wrote:
    I can’t think what’s worse a Christian trying to convert me or a historian trying to educate me :wink:
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • rjsterry
    I now have a mental image of RC and me sat in a small boat, arguing while arrows whistle past our ears.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,324
    tribe
    /trʌɪb/
    noun
    a social division in a traditional society consisting of families or communities linked by social, economic, religious, or blood ties, with a common culture and dialect, typically having a recognized leader.

Not sure what's wrong with that.

Even the Kenyans themselves use the word...

http://www.kenya-information-guide.com/ ... ribes.html
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,571
    Robert88 wrote:

Anyway I understand there things called tribal tourists who attempt to reach areas like this but for touristic reasons. Crudely they want to gawp at a spectacle very different from what they are used to.

The guy clearly overstepped the mark in this case, but I don't think experiencing other cultures through travel should be reduced to a "gawping" label. Sure, there are places where this is an apt description of the interaction between drive through tourists who see a group of people through a camera lens, but it doesn't apply to everyone.

Years ago I was fascinated by the tribal* people of India so spent time trying to visit and stay with some. I was young and idealistic and it made a lasting impression. Based on the reaction of some of the people I stayed with I would say that it was a positive experience for them too.

Whilst these days I would shy away from organised ethno tourism, I would still probably jump at an opportunity to visit somewhere really remote and stay with some locals. I also don't think I would judge someone for wanting to experience something different even if that was in the form of organised tourism as not everyone can jump straight into the deep end.

None of this excuses the guy in question. The group is famous for its hostility to outsiders and its likely intolerance to disease.

*I've already forgotten the correct academic term, but this was widely used in India to distinguish various groups.
  • pinno
    TheBigBean wrote:
    *I've already forgotten the correct academic term, but this was widely used in India to distinguish various groups.

Precisely.
    I would not take offence to being referred to as part of a 'tribe'. As long as the tribe referred to was the correct tribe.

My friend Andy is a Luo. He left Kenya and now resides here after getting a degree at a British University.
    His concern would not be about tribe itself but about the disproportionate representation of the ruling Tribe - the Kikuyu's. We've had many conversations about Kenya. Even stories about his father being in the employ of the British administration in Kenya and having his family protected from the Mau Mau.
    Although i've had that discussion regarding the Mau Mau uprising with RC and it's like banging your head against a wall.
    There are 43 tribes in Kenya. Should we say 'there are 43 different types of people' or there are '43 different people's in Kenya' ? A bit clumsy. just for the sake of avoiding the term 'tribe'.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    My god, this thread went full nerd at about page 3.

...and Rick, you went back on your promise...
    I could bore you with the details
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Robert88 wrote:
    So where did all the Neanderthals go?
    Essex.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • pinno
    edited November 2018
    mfin wrote:
    My god, this thread went full nerd at about page 3.

You can't use that word. It's derogatory, don't ya know.

But:
    I mean, I think your banter is about as fun as brain cancer, but whatever.
  • rjsterry
    Pinno wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

Precisely.
    I would not take offence to being referred to as part of a 'tribe'. As long as the tribe referred to was the correct tribe.

My friend Andy is a Luo. He left Kenya and now resides here after getting a degree at a British University.
    His concern would not be about tribe itself but about the disproportionate representation of the ruling Tribe - the Kikuyu's. We've had many conversations about Kenya. Even stories about his father being in the employ of the British administration in Kenya and having his family protected from the Mau Mau.
    Although i've had that discussion regarding the Mau Mau uprising with RC and it's like banging your head against a wall.
    There are 43 tribes in Kenya. Should we say 'there are 43 different types of people' or there are '43 different people's in Kenya' ? A bit clumsy. just for the sake of avoiding the term 'tribe'.

Maybe a pontoon with some deckchairs so we could all have a space. :)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pinno
    rjsterry wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

Precisely.

:D We could build it. 10 railway sleepers and some decking. Proper job. I'm off to Jewson's...
  • rjsterry
    Pinno wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

Precisely.

:D We could build it. 10 railway sleepers and some decking. Proper job. I'm off to Jewson's...
    And a bit of crinkly tin to keep the arrows off. Some sort of propulsion would be good if we are drifting in the Indian ocean.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pblakeney
    We need a bigger boat.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno
    We could have a big screen on this 'ere boat broadcasting cricket.
  • pblakeney
    Is Boaty McBoatface still available as a name?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Is Boaty McBoatface still available as a name?

The McBoatface tribe sadly all died after the 'Ceilidh to end all Celidh's'.
    Apparently, the drink was supplied by the Clan tribe Flung McDung.
    Now I don't believe in conspiracy theories but...
  • rjsterry
    Pinno wrote:
    We could have a big screen on this 'ere boat broadcasting cricket.

Now that is a good shout. It could be double sided with one side facing the island. The lot that sent Voyager off into space missed a trick there.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pinno
    Do you think the WRI could supply some fine Willow tea sets to hand out?
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Pinno wrote:
    Do you think the WRI could supply some fine Willow tea sets to hand out?
    Only if the ey-oop tribe can come along and we can have Yorkshire tea served in it
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Never mind all this, I'm not sure I've ever come across tribalism worse than that between the Pro Race pre-state community and the Cake Stop pre-state community