Di2 upgrade query

Brian_M
Brian_M Posts: 3
edited November 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Any Di2 experts out there..?

I am looking at upgrading mt XT 1x11 setup to Di2 and find the amount of components and information a tad confusing, some kind of a web based system designer would be useful.

My query, I like the idea of using the system without the handlebar mounted digital display to keep things cleaner and do not really see me needing it.. I believe I can communicate with the sytem via my phone using the inline bluetooth/ant device (EW-WU111). I would like to keep the junction box and battery internal (possibly in the steerer tube) but I cannot figure out how I can charge the battery without having to remove it from the frame, can you run like a connector to a grommet or something or is there a sterrer tube cap with a connection available?

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Have a read through THIS ARTICLE.
    If you want to mount an internal battery then it is best to keep the digital display as this houses the battery-charging port.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • JBA wrote:
    Have a read through THIS ARTICLE.
    If you want to mount an internal battery then it is best to keep the digital display as this houses the battery-charging port.

Thanks for the reply, good article, the display completes a couple of functions alright, as a junction box, bluetooth & charging.
    After some research, you can run the system without the screen but it will require more parts & be more expensive as a result.
    As a parts list I think I will require the following:
    -shifter
    -rear mech
    -in line b-tooth sender (EW-Wu111)
    -internal battery (BT-DN110)
    -Charger (SM-BCR2)
    -External junction box (SM-EW90) has a charging port. + fixing kit.
    -Assortment of cables

I found this article: http://carltonbale.com/shimano-di2-everything-you-need-to-know/comment-page-12/#chargers_pc_usb

It details how you can hack the charger to connect to any Di2 port, this could allow me to use an internal junction box and possibly charge the battery from the connection at the shifter. This would mean the shifter & mech would be the only visible parts of the Di2 system although I am nervous that I am missing something like the external junction box acts as some part of the brain/computing of the system?