Buying a frameset without a mech hanger?

joenobody
joenobody Posts: 563
edited November 2018 in Road buying advice
I have a line on a cheap gravel frameset (Verenti Substance). The problem is that is seems to be cheap because it comes without a mech hanger, and it doesn't look like a replacement hanger is readily available. The hanger is the same as on the Vitus Substance, but neither Wiggle, not CRC have stock of a replacement for either bike.

I was going to ask for opinions on the risk of buying the frame and then being unable to source the part, but I guess that's down to whether I'm prepared to lose however much I might pay for it, so I have a different question instead. Does anyone have a view on how easy it might be to get one made somewhere?

Comments

• I don't know this for sure but it's only a small piece of metal, it should be very easy to get one fabricated. The hard part might be getting the dimensions right, but I suspect it might be a standard dimension from the centre of the dropout?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Easy .

If you have one they can copy.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • clogg
    clogg Posts: 70
    Looks like hanger is Pilo189. Available here amongst others

https://gearmechhanger.com/D189-cast-al ... li-Corrate
  • cooldad wrote:
    Easy .

If you have one they can copy.
    If :wink:

I guess there must be a few people who have one. I can think of at least one member here, but having them part with it for any length of time might be tricky...
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    if you're getting the frame i would buy 2 or 3 hangers just to have a couple of spares so you don't have to go through all this faff when it falls over outside the supermarket when you are getting your shopping.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • clogg wrote:

Thanks for the pointer, that could be a good place to know :)

Looks like the D524 (conveniently linked to from the D189 page) might be closer, although it may be the mirror of what would be needed.

Here's the best photo of the hanger I could find:
    Vitus-Substance-V2-Gravel-Bike-Apex1-Adventure-Bikes-Blue-Grey-2018-5057567011548-10.jpg?w=800&h=800&a=7
  • if you're getting the frame i would buy 2 or 3 hangers just to have a couple of spares so you don't have to go through all this faff when it falls over outside the supermarket when you are getting your shopping.
    Sound advice, ta.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,630
    https://wheelsmfg.com/derailleur-hangers.html

These guys make about 100+ types of mech hangers. My lbs has a full chart on a wall and they can order any of the ones they don't carry.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    JoeNobody wrote:
    clogg wrote:

Thanks for the pointer, that could be a good place to know :)

Looks like the D524 (conveniently linked to from the D189 page) might be closer, although it may be the mirror of what would be needed.

Here's the best photo of the hanger I could find:
    Vitus-Substance-V2-Gravel-Bike-Apex1-Adventure-Bikes-Blue-Grey-2018-5057567011548-10.jpg?w=800&h=800&a=7

Your photo makes it appear that the 2 smaller holes for the mounting screws are directly in line with the bigger thru axle hole? Nothing on the Pilo or the Wheels Mfg pages looks like that; they are all slightly out of line :(
  • keef66 wrote:
    Your photo makes it appear that the 2 smaller holes for the mounting screws are directly in line with the bigger thru axle hole? Nothing on the Pilo or the Wheels Mfg pages looks like that; they are all slightly out of line :(
    Indeed. I looked at all the options for something that looked even a little like it. Closest I found appeared to be a mirror of what's needed. CRC have come back to me to say that they should be getting some end of Jan/Feb. Or, rather, they can "confirm it should be available" then...

I'm still unsure if it's worth the risk. On the one hand it could be a chance to build a decent gravel/commuter for a reasonable price. On the other it might be a case of buying a frame that can't ever be built up :? Then there's the C2W option - going for the latest Substance on C2W could well work out at least the same, if not cheaper, than building up. Although we do have a scheme at work that would cover some of the cost of parts needed to build it up (about £420 this year, but varies with $ exchange rate).

I guess I need to clarify the potential build cost and work from there.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    That frame also needs a pressfit BB...."boo hiss". Nice frame otherwise. Reviews seem to have the Substance down as a bit of a heavy plodder though, but sure could be lightened up with the right component choices. Probably only a cheap build if the frame doesn't go for much...Did you see the NS Rag+ frameset..?
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ns- ... prod165977
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Luv2ride wrote:
    That frame also needs a pressfit BB...."boo hiss". Nice frame otherwise. Reviews seem to have the Substance down as a bit of a heavy plodder though, but sure could be lightened up with the right component choices. Probably only a cheap build if the frame doesn't go for much...Did you see the NS Rag+ frameset..?
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ns- ... prod165977

or get a lighter frame with a mech hanger from the begining then fit nice components and end up with something far nicer.....
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Luv2ride wrote:
    Probably only a cheap build if the frame doesn't go for much...
    About £100, delivered. Not to me though - I don't think I would have wanted to pay more than £50 while missing the hanger. Building would still likely cost more than getting the same bike on C2W, unless the buyer already has parts they can use for it. In the end I figured the best approach for me is to use C2W (maybe not for a Substance, but something similar) and use my work fitness benefit to cover a 2nd set of wheels (700c or 650b, depending what the chosen bike comes with) for it and some more commuting kit (like a rack & panniers).
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    JoeNobody wrote:
    Luv2ride wrote:
    Probably only a cheap build if the frame doesn't go for much...
    About £100, delivered. Not to me though - I don't think I would have wanted to pay more than £50 while missing the hanger. Building would still likely cost more than getting the same bike on C2W, unless the buyer already has parts they can use for it. In the end I figured the best approach for me is to use C2W (maybe not for a Substance, but something similar) and use my work fitness benefit to cover a 2nd set of wheels (700c or 650b, depending what the chosen bike comes with) for it and some more commuting kit (like a rack & panniers).
    Yes, I saw it'd gone as was partially tempted myself. I'm currently (and less-than-seriously) looking at this. Not exactly cheap but does exactly what'd want it to, with heaps of tyre clearance. Other BR posters have highly rated the 2018 version. Loving the new 2019 colourway too: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/tough ... slr-0-2019

Wondering whether to thin out the "stable" and get one of these instead?
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • 650b compatible? I think it might be as it'll comes with 700x40. It's a bit beyond my potential budget (considering I'm also "less-than-serious about it right now), but looks good.