Annecy

pblakeney
pblakeney Posts: 25,805
edited September 2019 in Tour & expedition
Hi all,
I will be doing the Marmot Classic Alpine Cols next year and since I am in the area I have planned a week at the end of it to relax with my wife flying out to join me for the second week.
There is a high chance that my cycling will be limited to going round the lake with my wife, but as I will have my bike, and I may still have some energy..... :wink:
Anyone have a personal favourite route of around the 40 mile mark?
The only rule is that I have to be back, showered, shaved, and dressed in time for lunch.
There are lots of routes available online but comments regarding the routes would be appreciated.
The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
I am not sure. You have no chance.
Veronese68 wrote:
PB is the most sensible person on here.

Comments

• You can go around the lake and take in the Forclaz climb, which is not an HC col, but it is a proper climb nonetheless.

https://alpinecols.com/legendary-climbs ... az-annecy/
    left the forum March 2023
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    do as much of stage 9 of last year's T de F that was also the Etape route that you can do in the time you have.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pblakeney
    You can go around the lake and take in the Forclaz climb, which is not an HC col, but it is a proper climb nonetheless.

https://alpinecols.com/legendary-climbs ... az-annecy/
    That looks about perfect for a post tour jaunt.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney
    do as much of stage 9 of last year's T de F that was also the Etape route that you can do in the time you have.
    That looks a bit ambitious for a post tour jaunt. :wink:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Matthewfalle
    nah - it'll be fine. if the jeffers that do the etape can do it he'll be fine. its not actually that difficult.

go big or go home.

do the lake route, as much of stage 9 as poss then back down to the lake for a swim and lunch and vin blanc.

sounds utterly lovely if you ask the MFs.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pblakeney
    Fine if it was just that weeks holiday, but I will have (hopefully) just completed the challenge tour here - https://marmot-tours.co.uk/holidays/alp ... ssic-cols/

Might just be settling for the swim lunch and vin. :wink:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Wot Ugo said.

Did that loop at the start of October and it was a great ride - bike path warm up / a proper climb / fantastic view at the top / fun descent
  • You could also go Annecy, Tallories, Thones, up the Croix Fry for a proper Cat 1 climb, down half the Aravis to Saint Jean De Sixt, Thones, along the cycle path, Bluffy and home. That's a cracking loop.
  • You could also go Annecy, Tallories, Thones, up the Croix Fry for a proper Cat 1 climb, down half the Aravis to Saint Jean De Sixt, Thones, along the cycle path, Bluffy and home. That's a cracking loop.

This.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    You could also go Annecy, Tallories, Thones, up the Croix Fry for a proper Cat 1 climb, down half the Aravis to Saint Jean De Sixt, Thones, along the cycle path, Bluffy and home. That's a cracking loop.

I know that route well, it's very nice. The little village on the way up Croix Fry is nice, Madigot I think it's called.

Edit: Manigod :oops:
  • pblakeney
    You could also go Annecy, Tallories, Thones, up the Croix Fry for a proper Cat 1 climb, down half the Aravis to Saint Jean De Sixt, Thones, along the cycle path, Bluffy and home. That's a cracking loop.
    That is two good route options.
    Cheers!
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Matthewfalle
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Fine if it was just that weeks holiday, but I will have (hopefully) just completed the challenge tour here - https://marmot-tours.co.uk/holidays/alp ... ssic-cols/

Might just be settling for the swim lunch and vin. :wink:

the lake rocks - one of the MFs went in the morning in early summer and it was lovely and warm with a brilliant view.

lots of nice restaurants and bars in town, wonderful, wonderful women and incredibly cool and good looking blokes.

Annecy is very recommended - no matter what you do you're going to have a brilliant time.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pblakeney
    lots of nice restaurants and bars in town, wonderful, wonderful women and incredibly cool and good looking blokes.
    Perfect! I can pretend not to be looking at the women while the wife oggles the blokes.
    AKA "people watching". :lol:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Matthewfalle
    its a win-win: both parties are happy.

and anyhow, no reason why you can't appreciate any of the 57 genders: if some one of any sex who is utterly cool/good looking/etc wanders past I'm always impressed/taking notes.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,437
    There a good climb if you head towards Ugine called the Arpettaz, the semnoz from St Jorioz? via Leschaux is a good climb too, it's even better downhill. The Forclaz should be a definite and take in the views of the lake and Annecy. You could always get up early and give this years Etape route a bash...
  • pblakeney
    Thanks.
    You could always get up early and give this years Etape route a bash...
    As already stated above, chances are that I'll be too weary for anything too challenging. And I will have already done the Roseland.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Spent many a happy time at Annecy, also at nearby Manigod, St. Ferreol and St. Eustache.

The simple flattish lake circuit has to be a cert for you with your wife, and (like others have done) I'd suggest on your own a hillier 65-70 K circuit over the Col de la Forclaz(1157 m) and its views from high over the lake. My route would be:
    Annecy - Col du Bluffy(630 m) – Thones - Col du Marais(843 m) – Faverges - Col de la Forclaz(1157 m) – Talloires – Annecy.

Take the wife up the Forclaz later by car, and treat her to a tandem paraglider jump from the top of the pass (costs about 90 €, takes about 10 mins) while you drive back down to near the lakeside to pick her up.

Also ….
    What I think the more attractive roads in the Massif des Bauges S of Annecy would be beyond your specified max distance, but you could still do something like this 55-60 K:
    Annecy – St. Jorioz – St. Eustache – La Chapelle-St. Maurice(950 m) - Bellecombe-en-Bauges – La Motte-en-Bauges - Lescheraines - Col de Leschaux(900 m) – Annecy.

Or N of Annecy, up and down the Col des Glières (on the paved side which the Tour descended), 60-65 K:
    Annecy- Onnex - Le Praz - Les Ollieres – Aviernoz - Thones-Glières - Col des Glières(1440 m) - Thones-Glières - Aviernoz – Villaz – Naves-Parmelan – Annecy.
  • pblakeney
    Thanks!
    Much appreciated.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney
    knedlicky wrote:
    Spent many a happy time at Annecy, also at nearby Manigod, St. Ferreol and St. Eustache...
    Routes created and uploaded.
    Fingers crossed and legs willing.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney
    PBlakeney wrote:
    knedlicky wrote:
    Spent many a happy time at Annecy, also at nearby Manigod, St. Ferreol and St. Eustache...
    Routes created and uploaded.
    Fingers crossed and legs willing.
    Quick question.
    I’ve done the lake loop with the Forclaz - Wonderful.
    I may only get one more loop in. Bluffy or Leschaux?
    I’m thinking Leschaux as I’ve already done Forclaz but welcome experienced opinion.
    Thanks!
    Veronese68 wrote: