Tyres- Vittoria Zaffiro pro vs Continental Grand Prix 4000s II

johncard
johncard Posts: 8
edited November 2018 in Road buying advice
I have a 2017 Boardman Road Comp, which came with Vittoria Zaffiro pro tyres. The sidewalls are beginning to show signs of perishing, although the tyre itself isn't actually terribly worn.

I am therefore starting to think about replacement options. I can change like for like, for very little expense, new Zaffiro's come in at about £7 each. However, I am considering making a change to the highly regarded Continental Grand Prix 4000s II, at approx. £30 each.

The question is, am I likely to be able to discern much of a difference, for my extra £45, is it really money well spent?

Comments

• Zaffiro are the poorest in the Vittoria range... upgrade to Rubino PRO G+, 19.99 at Merlin... much better tyres
    left the forum March 2023
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    The short answer is yes. This would apply to any high-end summer racing tyre though.

Without knowing what riding you are doing it's hard to advise. Perhaps get winter tyres now and then get some summer ones in the spring for use when the roads are drier with less debris?
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Ive recently switched to the pirelli p zero - and I am impressed so far - the advantage they have over the GP4000 is how easy they go on and off the rims.

For my winter bike I use mich pro 4 endurance - I like the tyre to fit and they roll along pretty well - with good puncture resistance. They are an absolute bitch to get on and off though !