Cervélo r3

gary_sparrow
gary_sparrow Posts: 181
edited December 2018 in Road buying advice
Anybody got one ? Thinking of getting a 2015 model that came up locally . Be interested to hear if you have one and what you think . There are 2 not far from me 2nd hand in a 51 and a 54 . I’ll have to try both but at 1.73m I’m guessing the 54 would be right ?

Comments

• 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    I had one; I now have 2 x R5, an S5 and an S3, so I guess the Cervelo thing worked for me. Mine was a 2013. They ride very nicely - not as light as an R5, but still not heavy, and with good compliance and very reassuring handling. At 1.86m I ride a 56 in a Cervelo (with a 120 stem on normal 75-80mm reach bars), so you might find the 51 is workable; they tend to have a good deal of reach and (relatively speaking) a lot of stack for the size. Worth checking cable routing - the earlier R-series frames are definitely not Di2 compatible, although I think they'd fixed that by the 2015 MY.
  • That’s a lot of cervelo there !
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    i had a Soloist and an S5.

The Soloist is the nicest riding bike I have had - admittedly only the frameset was asthe factory intended but you know when something just fits and works?

The S5 was lovely to ride and fast.

The Soloist died from cracking frame diseas, the S5 went back due to QC issues.

The S5 was also a nightmare to work on.

Excellent bikes but please check it out carefully - remember that as the second owner you won't be covered under warranty .........

Not really sure if I would have another tbh. but they are very cool.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I've got a 2017 R3. I'm 1.78m with long legs and a short body and a 54 suits me pretty well.

It's my best bike and is set up as such (Di2, carbon wheels, seatpost, saddle, stem and bars) and I love riding it. Other than R5 I can't think of a bike I would want more, and I change bikes like most folks change underwear.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Asprilla wrote:
    I've got a 2017 R3. I'm 1.78m with long legs and a short body and a 54 suits me pretty well.

It's my best bike and is set up as such (Di2, carbon wheels, seatpost, saddle, stem and bars) and I love riding it. Other than R5 I can't think of a bike I would want more, and I change bikes like most folks change underwear.

Sounds sweet especially as you plenty of experience of other bikes . I test ride one and it did feel good , They seem to have low stand over heights I’ve noticed , so pretty good if like me your shorter on leg

My caad 12 has a longer reach in size 52 than the cervelo 51 so it would be nearer the 54 in terms of reach anyway . Having said that a lot of lads 5-8 seem to have the 51 in cervelos .
  • asprilla
    edited November 2018
    This is mine.

20181019_170137_zpsqkbdjyoa.jpg

It's a 54 frame with saddle to bb of 765mm (inc 15mm set back on the seatpost) and a 100mm stem. I've got 25mm additional stack on the steerer.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • harry-s
    harry-s Posts: 295
    That looks very nice Asprilla.
    I totalled my R5 recently, and am wondering what to replace it with. Another R5 is a possibility, but I'm all of a quandary. I liked the red bar colour scheme, the 2018/19 isn't quite the same. You've done a great job with that one.
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    Asprilla wrote:
    This is mine.

20181019_170137_zpsqkbdjyoa.jpg

It's a 54 frame with saddle to bb of 765mm (inc 15mm set back on the seatpost) and a 100mm stem. I've got 25mm additional stack on the steerer.

Lovely. Love the Spins - absolutely the best wheels I have owned - ever ! You delighted with yours ?
  • asprilla

Lovely. Love the Spins - absolutely the best wheels I have owned - ever ! You delighted with yours ?

Thank you. Yes, love them. I've only got about 100km on them, but it was a fast comfortable 100km. I've just sold my 56/86 tubulars for my tri bike as a result of getting these, and unless it's exceptionally windy when I go to the Stelvio, Gavia and Mortirolo next year, I can't see my 35mm carbon hoops getting a look in very often.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • How good is the r3 in comparison to other bikes you have ridden Asprilla?
  • asprilla
    How good is the r3 in comparison to other bikes you have ridden Asprilla?

It's my favourite bike.

But.....

...a bike is the sum of it's parts. I find this to be supremely comfortable and fast, and it weighs around 6.8kg. It's also very responsive in the turn, second only to my old Cervelo Soloist. However, you've got to remember that it's the only DI2 bike I've owned, so that influences my opinion. Having fitted Enve bars and stem add to the comfort factor over alu, and 56mm deep, 30mm wide tubeless rims add to the comfort and speed significantly.

So, when I say I love my R3 it doesn't mean I would love one someone else had build.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • munkster
    munkster Posts: 819
    *cough* OP reckon you’d be better off with a 2016/17 R3 *cough* classifieds *cough* open to offers *cough*

Must do something about this cough.
  • munkster wrote:
    *cough* OP reckon you’d be better off with a 2016/17 R3 *cough* classifieds *cough* open to offers *cough*

Must do something about this cough.

Jesus that’s a bad dose you have ! You should post a photo of that sick bike
  • munkster
    Hehe. Well, since you *insist*, see below.

Set up with eTap (now sold), which was a dream, and handbuilt Pacenti SL23 on Dura Ace hubs. Not as bling looking at deep sections but lovely and comfy. Very nice bike but I prefer the fit of a SuperSix it seems.

r3.jpg
  • munkster wrote:
    Hehe. Well, since you *insist*, see below.

Set up with eTap (now sold), which was a dream, and handbuilt Pacenti SL23 on Dura Ace hubs. Not as bling looking at deep sections but lovely and comfy. Very nice bike but I prefer the fit of a SuperSix it seems.

r3.jpg

Very nice , you sold the Etap ? What’s it on now ?
  • munkster
    What’s on the R3? Nothing, the frameset is in a box waiting for a lucky person to buy it, hence the cheeky classifieds reference ;-)