Angular contact bearings, are they worth it

sextoke1
sextoke1 Posts: 133
edited November 2018 in Workshop
Are Angular bearing worth investing in wheels and Bottom brackets over the normal bearings. They generally cost twice the price.

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,521
    n​o
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    You hub would have to made for angular contact bearings. If they are then you have to use them.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • When comparing the same size of deep groove radial vs angular contact bearings, the angular contact bearings have about 30% greater load capacity. This is because more balls can be loaded into angular contact bearings because the raceways are ground so that the balls only make contact with one side. This allows the other side of the raceway to be left relatively open so more balls can be loaded. But this also means that a single bearing can't support axial loads in both directions, unlike a deep groove radial bearing. Your hub/BB has to be designed for angular contact bearings if you want to use them.
  • sextoke1
    sextoke1 Posts: 133
    Nick Payne wrote:
    When comparing the same size of deep groove radial vs angular contact bearings, the angular contact bearings have about 30% greater load capacity. This is because more balls can be loaded into angular contact bearings because the raceways are ground so that the balls only make contact with one side. This allows the other side of the raceway to be left relatively open so more balls can be loaded. But this also means that a single bearing can't support axial loads in both directions, unlike a deep groove radial bearing. Your hub/BB has to be designed for angular contact bearings if you want to use them.
    . mine is the Praxis PF30. I have changed the bearings once, due to water ingress. I put in 2RS the last time. I was wondering about angular bearings as they would be a little bit of pressure from each side with the crank arms. I might put in standard ones again.